Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues

Old 06-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

Virginia VA registration?

Anyone had any issues getting scooters/bikes registered in Virginia? I'm heading out to the DMV later today to see what they say but you know how that goes, odds are they won't know or will give me incorrect information.

I haven't bought anything yet because I want to make sure before I waste money. I'm surprised at how little information I have been able to find by searching the 'Net. I'm looking to register both a 150 scooter (most likely Znen, Taotao or something) and 250 dual-sport (unknown, possibly Qingqi).

Does VA maintain a limited database of manufacturers that can be registered or does anything go assuming I have a title? I think I read that VA requires a DOT approved manufacturer.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:34 AM   #2

In theory, nowadays, when you buy a EPA/DOT approved vehicle via the net, it should be relatively smooth registering it since it should be in every state's database as being certified (Californians often 'need not apply' for many of the bigger bikes due to their far stricter CARB requirements although many scooters are 50 state approved).

If I am not mistaken, Qingqi's US headquarters are in Virginia, but it is some industrial corporation name, not Qingqi. However, I mention this because the bikes should be in Virginia's database if that is the case. Other brands to try for enduros could also be TMEC and Bashan.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #3

Alright, I'm going to try a TaoTao scooter first and we'll see how that goes. Should be here in a few weeks.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:56 AM   #4

My buddy registered a 50cc a couple months ago I think the law just went in to affect today. He had to get the supervisor to get it done. I've been told by others they have not have not had any problems registering above 50cc bikes. Though the DMV's outside of NOVA are normally better for this. I know some people go 50 miles out to get decent service.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #5

I got a TaoTao Paladin 150 and had no issue registering it other than the long wait to get the MCO. I filled out the title and registration form (VSA17A), took it in to the DMV with the MCO and bill of sale, was done in like 10 minutes, no questions. I didn't even need proof of insurance but I did have insurance so maybe they looked it up.

If you have a scooter that goes faster than 35 MPH it must be registered as a motorcycle in VA. Put "MOTORCYCLE" as the "body type" on the vehicle information section (or not, they will correct it regardless).

There is no point filling out empty weight, gross weight, GVWR, or any other weight on the form because they will not put any of that on the title so those fields can be ignored. This one had me concerned because I had like 5 different weights from TaoTao and none of them made any sense. VIN plate says GVWR 75kg (lol, scooter can't support its own weight apparently), MCO says GVWR 230 lbs, TaoTao web site says 300/350 lbs or something, TaoTao rep said 250 lbs for gross weight (or maybe empty). WTF guys... After weighing the scooter I think 230 lbs is actually the empty weight but the other numbers I have no idea. But like I said, none of it matters for getting a title and registration.

Also be prepared to get hammered on the taxes because VA has a $75 minimum now regardless of what you paid. The other stuff was only $40 or so.

The next hurdle will be the state inspection. I think everything will be OK but VA has a bunch of rules about the types of lights and such than can be used and this TaoTao has some funky stuff including headlights that can't be adjusted (normal for scooters? I don't know). I'm also worried they will need to disassemble the rear to check the drum. Also the master cylinder sight glass is not visible on the Paladin so they may have to take the upper bodywork off. I really hope they don't have to do all of that because I just spent days tearing the bike apart and carefully putting it back together. If they take stuff apart I'm going to have to go back and check it again and hope they don't break anything (mostly due to the crappy thread quality and soft metal on these things, you have to be really careful).

Old 07-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #6

What do you think of the scooter? I know, not the appropriate place since this area is technically discussing registration, but please post what you think of the Paladin.

When I bought my new TMEC, my friend's sister ordered a BWS 50 50cc Lintex scooter (we saved a ton sharing shipping) which is identical to the Tao Tao BWS 150. I think if I was to get a 150cc scooter, I would lean towards the Tao Tao BWS 150 simply because I like the feel of the 50cc BWS 50 so much!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
What do you think of the scooter? I know, not the appropriate place since this area is technically discussing registration, but please post what you think of the Paladin.
At some point I plan on posting an overview, maybe video, covering everything I had to do and a mini-review. Some of the metal quality makes me nervous but we'll see. I need some more time with it to see how I like it.

Inspection tomorrow so if that goes OK I will finally be able to ride around over 35 without my heart dropping every time a cop looks at me, haha. And I thought cars didn't respect motorcycles, it's 10 times worse on a scooter. People want to run me over because they think I'm on a slow 50cc.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #8

That's where a 70cc kit comes in. I wouldn't use it to try and break any speed records, but I'd sure use it to have the confidence to make a left in traffic.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #9

It passed inspection so no problems there. However, the inspection VIN is one character off. This is not something the inspection people type in, it comes from the DMV based on the license plate number. My title and registration (all from the DMV) have the correct VIN which makes this very weird.

So the character that got changed was an "L" and it was changed to a "C". In ASCII, "L" is decimal 76 while "C" is decimal 67. Interesting eh? How the hell did that happen because I seriously doubt a human was involved. Buggy software or just a coincidence? All I know is that now I have to spend more time at the DMV