Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #1

Other Uses for MC Tools

Dang, that granite laundry room sink is heavy.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #2

Wow!

I'm suprised those ever caught on. A polycast sink is so light and easy to install, and they can usually be had for around $20.00.

I got lucky and saved a deep single-bowl stainless sink from the landfill, and I installed that in my laundry room.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #3

That was in the house when we moved in. I'm not married to it, but Mrs. C won't let me replace it. At least I had the lift to get it out of the way. At least 75kg.

And this current project of laying new tile in the utility room has once again turned into a full blown remodel.

kill me now.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #4

Rant away, brother. I feel your pain.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Rant away, brother. I feel your pain.
I could go on and on but it just sounds like a broken record.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #6

Surprise the missus with a beautiful, new, polycast sink. Just don't tell her it only cost $20.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Surprise the missus with a beautiful, new, polycast sink. Just don't tell her it only cost $20.

Too late, the old one is back in place.

Methinks she finally got it today. It was an absolutely frustrating day that ended when I whipped the sink trap through a closed window. The profanity flowed like maple syrup on pancakes throughout the day.

It started when I was getting the Workmate out of the garage. A one quart can of shellac jumped(I swear it did, I was no where near it)off a shelf and its lid popped off. Everything within ten foot of that F*%#ing can, including me, was splattered with shellac. Still haven't found the lid and I'm now trying to figure out how to get shellac off of a very expensive leather bicycle seat without making it worse.

It went downhill from there. Picture more crap going wrong, stuff not fitting. Measure twice, cut. Measure twice with glasses on, cut again. Wife trying to make up mind about color and configuration. Me trying to tell her that her only concerns should be, "Does it fit and what does it cost." Trying to find a flatbed in Home Depot NOT being used as a display. Trying to fit five cabinets in a 5.5' pickup bed and wondering why GM only put in four tie down points.

As to the sink trap and the window, the granite sink has to be in an exact position. I'd need to move it a 32nd and it would move a 16th. That went on for a good hour. I finally get it lined up and try to fit the trap. The nut on the drainpipe side keeps trying to cross-thread. I'm getting more irate. For whatever reason, the seal, nut, and cast elbow were not going to play well together. I go out to the Jeep where I keep a supply of service parts and find a proper size flange o-ring and use that to replace the seal. The trap fits perfect. I run water down the drain and check for leaks. And it leaks. The damn trap has a hairline crack in it. I am now past irate. It's Friday and the last day of my vacation. I've spent the entire time doing something I absolutely cannot stand doing. I slowly removed the trap and I just lost it. It went through the window and my wife got the worst butt chewing she has ever had in our 40 year marriage. I handed her the trap, gave her measurements for a new piece glass and told her to find replacements. She could install the new trap and the new glass herself, I was done.

There were daggers coming out of her eyes but she went and got the stuff and she installed it. A little while ago she sat down next to me and said she didn't like getting chewed out but that after trying to replace the glass and installing the trap by herself on a fifty year old house, she can now understand why I thoroughly dislike these kind of projects.

Like I mentioned before, this was supposed to be a new flooring and a new water heater job. It has morphed into a repaint, new cabinets, and shelving. It has gone from $650 to over $2000 and we still don't have counter tops.

I'm glad I get to go back to work on Monday.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #8

I hate when stuff jumps to its death at the worst times. I've had cans of paint, oil, stain and other nasty junk hit the floor and drench everything. That always happens when I'm already on a time-limited project.

My saddest story deals with the main bathroom reno, but that won't be therapeutic for you.

If the shellac has already hardened on the bicycle seat, I recommend more shellac. Not kidding. Apply a little, allow it to soften the previous shellac for a minute or two, and see if it wipes off. You won't get all of it, but perhaps some mineral spirits can do the rest.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #9

Sounds like any of my plumbing adventures. Discovered today that I can have alot more fun with a Bobcat and a chainsaw.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #10

I finally wrapped it up last night. I'm going skating tonight.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #11

All good things must come to an end. I'm happy you got the job done.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-31-2014, 12:21 AM   #12

Should have worked more on the project and not gone skating. Left hand broke my fall. Left hand is all shades of purple and green. Hurts too.

Poop.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-31-2014, 01:21 AM   #13

Egads. Perhaps you should get an X-Ray, Cheesy.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2014, 02:03 AM   #14

Not sure what to make of the green shades. Purple I'm well familiar with.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #15

Nothing broken, Spud. Just some tissue damage. I have a nice mark on my ribs from the buckle on my watch. Sucks that it's my clutch hand.

Color has started to fade a bit. The green is around the edge of the bruise.

Been getting the "hairy eye" from Mrs. C since I started skating again. Also been getting "tut tut" from her since I'm considering trying out for mens roller derby next spring. She thinks I'm too old and I tell her I'm trying to dodge the old age truck by keeping active.

White crap is falling from the ski this morning.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800