Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBeege
Spud, can you explain how to change the socket? I don't know which wires should go to which. The H4 socket is unlabeled

Photos of sockets

Does it matter where the blue, green, and white wires go?

Old 10-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #17

According to , it doesn't matter which wire goes to which... so I'm going with that.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #18

Success! I installed the new socket and headlight, and it seems to be working beautifully! It's almost dark, so I'll take her out for a night ride pretty soon.

I also replaced the spark plug. Thing is, it still "skipped" a moment shortly after starting her up. I'm guessing the spark plug wasn't the issue, then?

Didn't have the opportunity to remove the anti-lock system on the breaks. That will have to wait until late October, when I'm back from an overseas work trip.

Thanks for all the help!!!! I'll continue updating as time progress (unless you suggest I open a new thread).

Old 10-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeege View Post
Success! I installed the new socket and headlight, and it seems to be working beautifully! It's almost dark, so I'll take her out for a night ride pretty soon...
Good for you. I'm sure you will like the H4 bulb much better than the BA20D bulb.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #20

Good work on the headlight. How did the night ride go?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #21

X2; please tell us how you like the H4 bulb.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #22

Sorry guys. Had a company trip last week. Things went beautifully. I did something slightly wrong - high beams + normals are mixed up, but it works! Still is pointing down, though. I have trouble reading street signs on dimly lit roads :/

Quick blurb about how I did it in case someone else comes along looking to do the same:
Detached the front fairings and mirrors from the frame. Detached the headlight assembly from the fairings. Disconnected the plastic coupler so that I could play with the headlight aside from everything else. Pulled the bulb + socket out of the lamb assembly. Cut the wires to the large bulb. Removed the rubber... bulb thing? Crimped the cut wires from the plastic coupler to the new H4 socket - supposedly it doesn't matter which wire goes to which, but that may be why my high-beams and normals are mixed up. Inserted the H4 bulb into the socket (don't touch the bulb part!!). Put the socket+bulb back into the lamp assembly - no cutting required, but it did take a little force. It was super snug in the lamp assembly, so I didn't feel the need to use the rubber bulb (also, I forgot to put it around the H4 socket wires, anyway). I just duct taped the hell out of the socket on the lamp assembly once I was done, but not quite yet. Reconnected the plastic coupler on the assembly to the bike's electrical system. Positioned the assembly and did a test run. Lights turned on fine, but they were pointing the wrong direction. Rotated the H4 socket+bulb in the assembly, tested again, then duct taped. Put everything back together and win

The lights pointing down is still a problem for freeway riding in the desert at night, which is troublesome as my girlfriend lives an hour away in the middle of the desert :( I've just been making her come down here XD Any ideas on that front?

EDIT: Oh, and the brightness is absolutely excellent. Good call on upgrading to the H4 She dims a bit when the signal comes on, but I was having that issue when the old bulb, too.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #23

I always need to trim a little from the base of the H4 bulb before I install it in the BA20D socket. If you headlight was aimed properly before, and now it isn't, the tight fit of your H4 bulb is causing an improper alignment of the bulb with the reflector.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #24

It was never really aimed properly. The nice part about the way it fits into the assembly is that it's forced to be flush with it. It's pointing straight into the assembly.

Maybe having it flush is no good? What did you use to trim it down? A dremel? Any suggestions on how to hold it in place once I position it correctly? Or just duct tape the hell out of it?

Thanks a ton for all the help!

Old 10-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #25

A flush fit is good; I wouldn't mess with it. I have to cut a small notch in the base flange of the H4 bulb to get a flush fit. My bulb is held in place by a wire clip.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #26

Yo I'm from SoCal and I just goty hands on some project gs250. Would love to learn more about this bike!