Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme View Post
@Darkrider

Ditch the new bed. Clear coat it, put some new tires and wheels on it, and admire all the envious stares you get

Save
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 04-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
Unfortunately ,I was thinking along those same lines myself .At least those dashes were pretty crappy back in the day ,and with the popularity of these trucks somebody must be repopping them .When I was not n the army ,I bet I replaced 30 of them ,but they were slightly different shape on the '76 trucks we had ,took a half hour so not too bad .
I remember I bought one of those hard plastic overlays to cover the cracked dash. The one where you put dabs of silicone to stick it down. Didn't fit real well but one of those cheapies from jc Whitney back in the day. Better than the horrible bubbling dash.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-05-2017, 07:14 AM   #48

All of my Chevy project pictures are "real" 4x6 pictures. I'll scan a few in this evening of I have time. Loved that truck.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 04-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
I remember I bought one of those hard plastic overlays to cover the cracked dash. The one where you put dabs of silicone to stick it down. Didn't fit real well but one of those cheapies from jc Whitney back in the day. Better than the horrible bubbling dash.
I have looked at the overlay route for the '84 but i may end up copying what was done with the '86 and glass it over. More then likely coating it in bedliner after to give it a durable finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme View Post
All of my Chevy project pictures are "real" 4x6 pictures. I'll scan a few in this evening of I have time. Loved that truck.
Looking forward to seeing pics of your square
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 04-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #50

How much is a real dash from one of those repot supply places. Probably too much, I understand that. Too bad since that is the main thing you see in a vehicle

Enjoying the thread reminds me of my ol blue square body 85 gmc
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #51

Quote:
How much is a real dash from one of those repot supply places. Probably too much, I understand that. Too bad since that is the main thing you see in a vehicle

Enjoying the thread reminds me of my ol blue square body 85 gmc
It would be cheaper to strip the cracked vinyl off and glass it. Plus it makes it easier to change color by painting the dash.

Funny you mention a blue truck lol. Like i mentioned i have two of these trucks. This red '86 and the blue and silver '84 shown earlier in the thread.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #52

Speaking of the '84 here are some updated pics of it. I put smaller tires up front to give it a bit of a rake and i kind of like the look. I also set the sleeper i had in the back of the truck only to find out that it was not for a Chevy as i was told... But there is enough material on the flange of it to be able to cut it out to match the Chevy rear window. More then likely i will get this done professionally to make sure it matches up properly. Next up will be to get the smaller tires put on my wagon style wheels or my van rally wheels.

Save
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #53

Quite the patina

Old 04-08-2017, 01:46 AM   #54

Quote:
Quite the patina
Yea...thankfully most of it will be gone once i start swapping panels on. I may look into what it would take to wire in power windows and swap some power window doors onto it.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #55

Well i have done a bit of research on the idea of swapping to doors with power windows..not as difficult as i initially thought. The catch is i end up having to add power locks at the same time.. no biggie. It is literally a matter of swapping the doors on, Drilling 4 holes for the harness to pass through the front part of the cab to the doors. And plugging in the harness that goes across the firewall. There is a vendor on the GM truck forum i am on that offers an upgraded harness for that firewall section that also has the option of adding auto down like a modern car. Seriously thinking about that when i do the upgrade. Chances are i will probably have a couple extra switches to deal with on the drivers door as i will more then likely end up pulling the doors from a Suburban. I may get creative as to what i use those switches for..either that or scavange the drivers door panel and switches from a pickup to make it correct. I will probably be doing this process twice over with both the '84 and the '86.

Anyways onward to updated pics...and yea...that is a future project car in the same pics.. It is a 1978 Olds Omega SX (Pretty much the same as a same year Chevy Nova SS/Rally)

Save
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #56

Love the Disco Nova years! I'd jump at the chance to build an old X-body like that Olds.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Love the Disco Nova years! I'd jump at the chance to build an old X-body like that Olds.
I traded my '92 Ranger for it...If anyone is interested i will start a thread on it in a bit with the pics i have for it so far... Like i need to ask though right? lol
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
I traded my '92 Ranger for it...If anyone is interested i will start a thread on it in a bit with the pics i have for it so far... Like i need to ask though right? lol
Yes, please.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-31-2017, 01:22 AM   #59

Update on the '84...I have worked out a deal to get a front end and doors off of an '85 K5 Blazer that had the silverado trim package. So with this i gain the power lock/window doors...which are the proper ones for a pick up as well of course so no extra switches on the door! Plus the stacked 4 headlight set up with signal lights in the grille. I will be keeping the removed core support and headlight set up as spares for the '86. On another note i may be adding to my Square body collection in the form of an '88 Suburban Silverado model. Which of course it too has all the above parts. But i will need to find a new grille and headlight surrounds for that one. I view that as an excuse to possibly go... Phantom grille...
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #60

IIRC, the '88 'Burban was still the square body style, while the C/K 1500 changed to the new body style. IOW, if your new 'Burban was an '89, I don't think it would be a square body. Is that right?

I like the phantom grille idea.