Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2018, 09:35 PM   #1

New to here, and motorcycles sorta

Hi! Im Kip!

My best friend gave me his 2006 Lifan 200GY5 (7.5k miles) and since it needs a lot of work and some hard to find parts, I figure a forum is a good place to start! I have a few go-pros and plan to do some ADV when I have it back on the road!

I can post some pics tomorrow!

(if anyone knows how to get a seat for my motorcycle, or make one, please let me know, its my largest hangup right now, my friend threw out the seat).

(Old pic of motorcycle)
Name:  moto 1.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  20.5 KB

Last edited by Rangerkip1; 04-28-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #2

Welcome aboard

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-29-2018, 01:47 AM   #3

Welcome to here! For parts, you can find them most likely on a site called Taobao; it is kind of like Ebay for China. I have never ordered from it, but a few members have for obscure parts for old bikes like yours is, and got the parts, and back on the road. Someone here can point you in the right direction (i.e. the English version of it) and you should have your bike up and going in no time.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Welcome to here! For parts, you can find them most likely on a site called Taobao; it is kind of like Ebay for China. I have never ordered from it, but a few members have for obscure parts for old bikes like yours is, and got the parts, and back on the road. Someone here can point you in the right direction (i.e. the English version of it) and you should have your bike up and going in no time.
That would be awesome! It does need work, and I cant find enough information on the bike to get the work done, so I hope you guys here can help me out!

Old 04-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

I have the same bike but a 2007. My seat fell apart a long time ago. A 240 lb guy bouncing over thousands of miles of rocks eventually broke the plastic base to bits. I made my own replacement seat base out of fiberglass.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
I have the same bike but a 2007. My seat fell apart a long time ago. A 240 lb guy bouncing over thousands of miles of rocks eventually broke the plastic base to bits. I made my own replacement seat base out of fiberglass.
do you have pics??

Old 04-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #7

No pics handy, I'm camping and bike is at home. Bet you can find a stock seat if you look around.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
No pics handy, I'm camping and bike is at home. Bet you can find a stock seat if you look around.
I found one on ebay for $50 a few weeks ago but I hesitated because I wanted to see if I can get the engine running first, its not siezed, but the old carb was siezed up from the bike sitting outside for 5 years and the Ive been trying to find the right kind of jets for the replacement carb I installed (was thinking of using the ones from the old carb, but even those arent original, my buddy had larger jets installed by a Lifan dealer back in the day).

Anywho, I researched and googled around to no avail.
I cant even find body panels or rims for this thing. (my front rim is out of true because he ran the bike into a barn a few years back).

Old 04-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #9

Welcome!
I have virtually the same bike. Please show us a pic of where the seat would mount, so we can determine the seat type.
My front rim was also taco'd, so I laced an old Honda rim to the stock spokes and hub. That one took a tremendous hit and busted a bunch of spokes, but didn't harm the 1980-ish DID aluminum rim. I then had stainless spokes made by Buchanan's, and it has been great ever since.
Which carb did you install? Got a pic?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #10

Recent pics from today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome!
I have virtually the same bike. Please show us a pic of where the seat would mount, so we can determine the seat type.
My front rim was also taco'd, so I laced an old Honda rim to the stock spokes and hub. That one took a tremendous hit and busted a bunch of spokes, but didn't harm the 1980-ish DID aluminum rim. I then had stainless spokes made by Buchanan's, and it has been great ever since.
Which carb did you install? Got a pic?
I installed a PZ30 (30mm carb), its identical to the original one on the outside.

There is the seat mounts points, luckily I have the nipple to go along with the latch from the original seat:

Here is another issue I need to fix: The discolorization is from sitting outside and the wierd plastic area is from the house fire that took place next to the bike (no wiring was effected).

Also, Im looking for new road tires for this bike, I want tires that work in dirt (sorta) but my primary use will be for going into town or highway, but I live in a very rural area on a farm, with lots of gravel/dirt roads. Im not rich either lol.

(tires on bike are original tires and I think they are too old to be safe for highway use)

Last edited by Rangerkip1; 04-30-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #11

All I can see are little X's, instead of pics. Did you post directly to the forum? That is the best way.
Does the carb have three or four bowl screws?
Search for Shinko 705 tires; I suspect that's what you mean.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #12

Wheel rims on the Lifan are nothing special, just a standard 36 hole 1.4" steel rim. You could also lace on a TT250 rim that will be black and a tiny bit wider but will work fine and is cheap.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #13

Here's the pics on my host website: http://tinypic.com/a/abpk6r/4

Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #14

I can see the pics now. So, does the seat have some sort of cable release mechanism? I've never seen that.
My gauge cluster was identical and broken. I just swapped it out for another speedometer I had lying around.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #15

I've moved the thread to http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21130

And yeah, that's what that latch and pointy thing are in the one photo