Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #1

Head Scratching Contemplating on buying a Bashan (new rider)

Introduction
Hello,

First off, let me sorta introduce myself. My name is Zach, I'm from Tennessee. I'm new to the whole motorcycling thing. I have a little bit of experience riding, but not a whole lot.

Recently, I've been looking at the Bashan 250cc enduro bikes on various websites. After doing research and looking at reviews, it seems like SuperiorPowerSports is probably the best place to order one. They offer the Bashan 41H, Brozz, Shark and Storm.

I'm around 5'8"-5'9" and weigh about 145 lbs. I was considering something similar to a Yamaha TW200 at first, due to my short height. While I realize a brand such as a Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, etc would probably be more reliable, the Bashan bikes are more affordable for my situation and I'm hoping after purchasing one that it is not too big and is able to do what I'm planning on doing with it.

I have a few questions that I've not been able to find so far with my research that hopefully some Bashan owners can give me the answers to.

My Current Situation
Currently, I live around 30 miles from my workplace. If I were to buy a motorcycle, I would most likely drive it to work anywhere from 3-5 days per week (assuming the weather is nice). My drive consists of a mixture between 55 MPH and 45 MPH highways of which aren't too populated and are curvy. Yeah, I live in the middle of nowhere.

So, with this in mind, I would need a bike that can withstand constant speeds of somewhere around 55-60 MPH at times and that can withstand, let's say, a 45-minute drive without overheating.

My Offroad Plans
Also, if I were to buy a motorcycle, I would want to take it offroading. I work at a marina on Dale Hollow Lake. So, after work, there are many trails around the area I'd like to experiment with. However, I'm not sure if the Bashan bikes would have enough power to handle the types of areas I would like to take them.

It is hard to explain by text the roads and trails around the area, but I'm going to try my best. The backroads and trails around the lake consist of big rocks in some places, muddy areas in covered spots (especially after rain), and somewhat steep slopes in many areas. For the most part, the steep slopes I'm talking about aren't like straight up-and-down. Let's just say, for example, a 30 to 50 degree slope, which may consist of mud/rocks/gravel/dirt.

Maybe if I post a few pictures of the lake area, one can see the general idea of the offroading requirements. (After Googling, I didn't really find photos that give a general visual of the trails. Hopefully the ones I did find will give a slight idea.)

Other Information
While the offroad performance and speed/distance requirements are a big deal, I have a few other things I'm curious about as well. I've read quite a few posts on ChinaRiders. It seems that after buying a bike such as one of the Bashan motorcycles I'm interested in, I would have to put Loctite on all the bolts and change all the fluids out, as well as possibly replacing a few parts. This isn't a huge deal. But when it comes to parts, are the ones on the Bashan bikes similar to the ones on the Hawk 250s? They look almost identical and I saw posts regarding Hawk replacement parts. So, I was wondering if the Hawk replacement parts I saw in the posts would fit the Bashan bikes also.

There are only a few videos on YouTube of the Bashan bikes like the Enforcer, Storm and Brozz. However, there are quite a few reviewing the Hawk. (and Hawk 2, Hawk 3, Hawk infinity.) There are so many of these that it seems like no one knows what kind of bike it actually is. But I've been going by the Hawk video reviews, assuming after what I've read that the Bashans are a little more reliable?

Currently, I've got my mind set on the Bashan 41H (which I believe is the Enforcer, possibly the exact setup as the Hawk?) I've been looking at this one: http://www.superiorpowersports.com/2...n250db-41h.htm

I like the fact that it has disk brakes all around, although it isn't a huge deal. Also, based on the specs from this website, it has a slightly shorter overall height than the Bashan Storm, which would probably be my second or third option. I like the Brozz as well. I really like the cluster and gas gauge options on the Enforcer and Brozz compared to the Bashan Storm, which doesn't seem to have a gas gauge and has a less-appealing speedometer. They all seem to have the same single-cyl 4-stroke air-cooled engines. Throughout the various websites I've seen them on, the specs are all different. So who knows which ones are the most accurate.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and I hope that I can get some feedback from some experienced owners.

If I were to buy one of these bikes, I would definitely make a big review about it, as well as a video showing what it can do on and off the road.

Which bike would you recommend? And what are your experiences?

Last edited by TheZachLee; 04-23-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #2

I am not going to be able to answer all of your questions, but I can give a quick and dirty.

As far as reliability, the engine is fine. I use my Hawk almost every day as a commuter. Like many others here that have used their bikes for any length of time, I have over 2000 miles on it and it's been perfect.

Power is adequate for what you want to use the bike for. I have my Hawk geared very tall for what I use it for, and it powers my large backside around well. I am 6'4 260lbs - living up to my name.

The parts are pretty interchangeable between the Hawk style bikes, with a few small exceptions here or there. None of them are too difficult to find.

The real trick with these bikes is to sort out the details yourself. Getting the gearing just right to suit your needs is a big one. If you aren't mechanically inclined, then these aren't the bike for you.

The biggest thing to really keep in mind is that the suspension on these isn't really designed for Motocross style riding. For trail use, they are adequate though.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply! Sounds like your Hawk has been good so far. I believe I could get all the mechanic work figured out as I have relatives and friends with motorcycle experience.

I've heard about the suspension being weaker on these bikes. I don't plan on doing anything crazy (like jumping hills and stuff like that) But I'd like a bike that has the performance to mosey up hills, going over rocks without a problem; not being necessarily fast at it, just done easily without a problem.

As for the parts, it's good to hear that they are interchangeable. That makes me more confident in purchasing one of them.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #4

These engines have a good bit of low end grunt. I take mine on off road trails with some steep hills with no problem.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #5

At 145 lbs. you could gear it pretty high and should fly. lol The Hawk and Enforcer are pretty tall. I have a 32" inseam and can just about stand flat footed but weigh about 175.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #6

@JerryHawk250 Awesome. Thanks for replying! My inseam is around 30", so I may be on my tiptoes.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZachLee View Post
@JerryHawk250 Awesome. Thanks for replying! My inseam is around 30", so I may be on my tiptoes.
The stock seats have a lot of foam on them that you can cut down. Or you can get the TT250 seat concepts seat, which is 2 inches lower.

Also, keep in mind that Jerry and myself have Hawks. The 21/18 wheel combo makes the bikes a little bit taller than the bikes with 19/17 wheels.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #8

That's good to know. I can probably make a few adjustments then to fit my size better.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #9

I used to commute on my TMEC 200 enduro daily, year round and racked up 6000 miles a year at 16.5 miles each way. This was in southwest AZ where the temps would get up to 115+ on my commute home. The 196cc engine in that bike was OEM by Zongshen; the rest of the bikes are 229cc or thereabouts. These engines are very similar.

If the roads are what you described traffic-wise, I see few problems dealing with top speeds. The Bashans are geared for street duty, while the Hawk (if you were considering one) would probably need a new rear sprocket, or both sprockets changed out.

You might be limited to what Superior offers, as the Shark is no longer available, and I am guessing the Brozz is also not available. They have shown those bikes long after both the Brozz and Shark were sold out last spring. You are probably limited to the Storm or the Enforcer (aka 41h); not a bad thing, however. My guess is that the Storm might be the better commuter than the 41H. I was spoiled with my TMEC having a very comfortable seat, so hopefully people will chime in on the comfort of their bikes' seats.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #10

I just placed an order for the Bashan Enforcer (41H) on SuperiorPowerSports. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all the responses!

Old 04-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #11

From the photos of your intended trails, the 41h is probably your best bet. I am guessing, your commute will be fine as well on it, although you might want to consider changing your tires if the stock tires are too aggressive for the highway.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #12

I have the 41h bashan bsr 250 and love it so far. The seat does sit kinda high though. With the gearing stock with my big butt on it will go over 60 so would be no problem with you on it. I went with the bashan over the hawk because Oregon is hit or miss at the DMV but was glad because i didnt have to regear it and like the black with a little red on it.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 PM   #13

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZachLee View Post
I just placed an order for the Bashan Enforcer (41H) on SuperiorPowerSports. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all the responses!
Congratulations on the order !

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #14

Just a little update..

Last week (4/24/2018), which was on a Tuesday, I placed an order for a Bashan Enforcer 41H on SuperiorPowerSports. The next day, they had left a voicemail and I was unable to get back in touch with them until Thursday. (They didn't seem to be around to answer, which, later I found out it was because of an operator issue)

After I was able to contact them on Thursday, the guy said he was just contacting me for information on whose name to put the bike in. I gave him my information, and he pretty much confirmed that he believed he had the bike I wanted in stock. At this point, how does he not know if he has the bike in stock or not?

So, after giving him my information, I waited it out, checking my order status on their website daily until yesterday. (Tuesday, May 1)

First off, let me explain the phone process. There are two options you can press when you call the number. Press 1 for new customers wanting to place an order, Press 2 for existing customers calling about your order.

Pretty much the way it goes is, press 2 to go straight to voicemail and leave a message, or, press 1 if you want to actually talk to someone. So, after figuring out pressing 2 never worked, I began pressing 1 every time I called.

Yesterday, I called about my order. The woman I talked to at first was unable to give me the order information since someone else had taken my order themselves. So, she put me on hold and transferred the call to someone else. After telling the second woman my problem, she realized I had been sent to the wrong operator and put me on hold as well. After waiting for around 10-15 minutes, I was told the man who actually took my order was unavailable and that he would call me back.

4.5 hours later (around 5:30 PM), I finally get a returned phone call. I talked to Jim, the guy who went through the whole order process with me initially. I told him that I was calling to check my order status, so he starts looking it up. He then tells me that the bike I wanted is no longer in stock and proceeded to ask if I wanted a Hawk or Storm.

Instantly fed up and filled with rage, I told him I wanted a refund. At this point, who knows if I'll get my money back. The order on the website still says "Processing". I plan on calling back again sometime today about the refund, because apparently they can't keep up with their shit.

In conclusion, it's been a nightmare so far and I would not recommend dealing with SuperiorPowerSports. Sorry if any of you are part of that business. Hopefully if anyone else does purchase a bike from there, they don't have to go through all the hassle.

I'm not quite sure where I'm gonna go from here, but I still want to get a bike.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #15

This is the part about the whole China Bike process that I think turns many potential owners away. All it wold take is one dealer to be up front and honest and they would probably get every bit of business that came through this site. Hopefully everything works out for you.

Tags
bashan, bashan enforcer, bashan storm 250, hawk 250, new rider