Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 12:08 AM   #1

1985 ATC200x with a Lifan engine

I see there's usually interest when one sees a 200x with a Lifan engine mounted up, so I figured I'd post some pictures of mine that I just got running. It's not 100% complete as of yet, I still need to replace the front tire and fender, as well as find some brakes for the thing. At least I can ride it now though...

The engine is a Lifan 163FML in black and chrome, bought on eBay. Total cost was $420 including shipping. That was with the carb, shift, kickstart, CDI, rectifier, solenoid, coil, etc. The wiring harness was another $40, and pretty much useless for this bike. I needed it for the plugs though to make my own harness. Basically I ended up using a handful of plugs off of it and scrapping the rest.

Start to finish getting the engine in, new sprockets front and back using a 520 chain, mskind the wiring harness, mounting a battery and all that, took me about two days. I could have done it all in two, but was taking my time the first evening I started on it... I ended up using a clamp-on UNI filter and using the air cleaner box for the battery box. It took a little cutting on the box, but I have a spare so it didn't bother me. I used the wiring diagram from Hooper Imports for the vertical engine, and everything matched up and works fine.

In all, I'm very pleased with the whole setup! It's so nice to jump on a 22 year old bike and hit the start button and go, then smell the new burning off when it heats up.

The engine fired right up the first time I hit the button, with it on full choke. It wasn't running very well for the first 15 minutes or so, and was really tight. I rode it around for about 20 minutes and let it get hot, then stopped to let it cool off. I did that a few times until it started to loosen up, and it smoothed out and is running perfect now. Doesn't run so hot either. I've only ran about a half of tank of gas though, it's still not fully broken in.

Exhaust is the same DG chrome exhaust that was already on the bike...

Here's the filter I used, fits perfectly and clears everything.

Here's the "battery box". I'm not sure what number is on the battery, but I stole it off my '82 Suzuki GS450T if that helps...

This picture shows a few things... The front of the airbox slips over the rubber bushings on a couple of "pegs" and kept falling out with the added weight of a battery, so I drilled a couple holes in the box and added some zip-ties to hold it in place, the plastic tabs hold the weight, the ties just hold the tabs on the rubber bushings. You can also see where the coil and solenoid ended up, I was pressed for room the hide all the electronics this bike was never supposed to have, so I had to improvise.

The front sprocket cover in place, I was surprised that it fit this frame so well.

I did have to make one small cut on the bottom corner however, to clear the bottom roller for the chain, as can be seen here.

I also had to use the intake manifold from a 200x engine. The new one on the Lifan didn't work. The carb would have hit the rear shock with it. The same is true for mounting a 200S engine on the 200x, they also require the 200x intake manifold to work.

2019 Orion RXB-250L
2005 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2000 Polaris 500 Sportsman 4x4
1986 Honda XR600R

Old 04-20-2007, 12:17 AM   #2

That's fantastic! A few months ago, there was an ATC on Ebay with a "racing Lifan" engine already installed. I never saw the ending price, however, or if it ever did sell.

One member here had put a Lifan in an XR200 (can't remember the exact model) which his daughter was riding in races with success. I don't recall his name, but I bet you two could compare notes!

Thanks for the info and the photos. The engine looks quite natural there.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #3

I remember seeing that bike on eBay, if I'm not mistaken it sold for $900 in the end. My only complaint so far is that the kick starter simply wont work in this frame, it hits the foot peg and the tire at about the same time. I'm not sure it would even be possible to get it to kick forward though. I know it could be done with an XR200R engine, people used to use those to get the 6 speed transmission, and would use 200X parts to make it kick forward. I'm not sure it would even be worth the trouble though, with that nice electric start on here.

I forgot to mention too, I do have the headlight for it, I just haven't put it back on yet. The switches for the lights don't work anyway, I need to change that little box, then I'll get it all wired up properly. For now I'm using the little push button off a KX80 that was the kill switch on there, for the start button on this one. Woks well enough for the time being.

Thanks for the comments!
Keith

2019 Orion RXB-250L
2005 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2000 Polaris 500 Sportsman 4x4
1986 Honda XR600R

Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
Looks great! We have a 70-something ATC on the farm. I can remember my brother running over me with it when I was about 5 (I can still picture the chain drive). Thank God for the balloon tires in that one instance. Otherwise, they were just a pain--always flat! You have to throw a coat over the seat, and it ain't pretty, but the ATC still runs after miles of irrigating & chasing cows & sheep.

Thanks for sharing & bringing back some memories!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Nice work there Keith....and welcome!

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 04-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #6

Man, I love 200X's.

The day I graduated from high school ('91) I used some scholarship money to buy a used '85 200x.

Education isn't just about books :wink:

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"