Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
Banned

NEW Travel Guide Camping and help offered guide!

Speak up if you have camping, tools shop space, parts, etc for traveling RX-3 (or other ZOngshen motorcycles...
SIgn up on this thread. Please post up your Name, contact info, and what type services or hospitality you offer and any costs related. This will grow, (hopefully everyone uses it) into a GREAT and handy assett to us all while in new adv territories, when the unfortunate happens far away from help we familiar with or know about.

I'm a Dodge Cummins diesel truck owner modder since 1995. I am a memnber of a group of owners and entheausiasts thatfortunately have some VERY, VERY smart older retired Cummins and general truck and diesel geniuses as members/owners as well. These guys , many started businesses supplying parts and advice on modifying our trucks, and some are quite successfull now.
One guy started the Turbo Diesel Register (the owners group/club), and has a quarterly magazine he publishes (still ) and has a GREAT website with all the back issues etc. accessible on it.
One of the handiest things is the travel guide.
It has a list of members who have some tools, garage/shop space available, and, if wanted or needed (usually) reasonable shop rates for doing large and or small jobs, upgrades, and performance increases.
I think we should do that (club but definitely the travel guide. It lists camping in yard (or camper rent/some free use is offered), a camper spot to use while repairs are done (like a engine or transmission repair or rebuild, even.)
This site, Spud, is already done, and even better than a magazine!.
I think I'll do a new thread re this and see if others would like this as well. Might be usefull and FUN!
I cna tell there are LOTS of smart (and connected) guys and girls on here that can really help other owners and riders...Just need to get the word out on who has what, and what they are set up to offer (Like Kato & myself offer free camping) to Zong owners traveling.

Tommy Hill (256)794-2382 PM for email if needed. Offers: Free Camping, some free tool use (Have complete engine shop) no lift available. Will offer encouragment and advice free. WIll possibly do service work on a case by case basis(for cost). Wind Creek STate Park (and campground) is 7 miles south, and VERY nice but reasonable cost.
ALexander City, AL 35010 (Lake Martin area)

If/when we get enough "members " on this thread, I'll post it into an organized form, and print it out. Then everyone can have it when they need it out on the road. (Unless someone has a better suggestion of course.

I've used the TDR guide when traveling in my Dodge pickup 3 or 4 times and it saved me a tow, and $$ as well as made some good new friends!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Banned

OOps forgot,

The shop & engine building area I'm offering for fellow traveling and in need of help ZOng owners, is heated and fan cooled, when needed. This is offered Gratis to Zong members of this forum that have a listing on the guide. Even is all you offer is Name, type bike, phone, address, and email, its still OK by me. You may could take a stranded ZOng traveler a part, shuttle him/her to parts house, or get a tire repaired if time allowed you to do so.

For this to work, well, we need people to sign up. Once we get a hundred or so, it will take off when people realize how much grief it can save stranded travelers, AND how smart and generous other ADV riding ZOng owners are!

ITs no small thing to offer someone a cold beer after a long hot ride n summer, or a hot tea or cup of coffe (or meal) and safe camp spot also, at little or NO cost to those at home offering it...However, if you are the exhausted and in need traveler, who usually is getting screwed as an outsider at Motels, restaurants, etc, Its A HUGE help, and can really enhance enjoyment of the trip..AND then they may stop in on their ride at your home/shop and everyone then is a net winner with little downside of cost to those offering help and or camping, lodging or shop help when we're on the road... and in need..

Of course, we need to have a short survey to rate hinesty of offerings to weed out/flag any pretenders or scammers trying to take advantage using the guide.(or "bums'/leaches...) SUrprisingly, that VERY quickly was pointed out the very few idiots trying that on the TDR guide. The forums and feedback form (I'll try to get a copy and permission to use it..there are many Motorcyclists and sport car gearhead members on there anyways, and CSC might get some free advertising for his bikes from them (a road test maybe?) They are usually very suportive of other forms of engine powered vehicles not diesel pickup trucks and in competition...
www.turbodieselregister.com if anyone's interested.

Spud, the added after about 6 yrs of the magazine, the website and then "Geno's Garage" selling parts and Farkles. The upgraded 5th gear conversion upgrade/repair on NV 4500 transmissions they source and sell at a semi GBuy price, and have IN STOCK always for overnight shipping if needed. Hop up kits like the EJK for our bikes, exhausts, mudflaps, etc, etc. CSC may want to look into this as it seems they will offer many optional add ons, many made or approved by ZOng, thus not issue with warranty, and of OE quality and spec.

ANyway, I encourage everyone who will be traveling, adv'ing on their bikes to USE THIS FREE SERVICE, so it will become a valuable resource for us.
Unless we use it, it will never grow and reach critical mass where it helps everyone all over the country (and eventually other countries!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #3

Would be nice to add a Map to this so members with things to offer can be easily found on the map...

I could probably offer free camping, I have a garage and a pretty good assortment of tools, and a trailer if needed...

Somerset, Kentucky
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 01-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #4

If someone needs me I can pm them my number and address.

I have 4 acres of lawn. Free tent space. Shop space with assorted tools, welder, grinders etc. Nothing fancy. Have a trailer if someone needs rescued.

Altamont is in SE Kansas. 1 hour west of Joplin, Missouri.

1 mile south of me is a campground that has wifi, showers (I think), Laundry. $10/night.

There is also a small house that is for rent by the night in town.

If you need oil or something it is best to give me a heads up. Closest is 15 mile drive.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #5

help , garage offered

In Walla Walla ,SE Washington State, beginning of the Oregon Backroad Discovery Route. Have garage ,tools, m/c lift to work on bikes. ADVer's welcome and roadies too. 509-540-8629, Rob Morel, rj

Old 01-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
Banned

Great suggestion, Huck. Thanks Kato:)!

Anyone know how to imbed a map, or best way for this? That would really help with trip planning! (Not just this trip, but future ADV rides we do) ie. single or buddy rides, AND Zong get togethers at Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon, etc.

We definitely need to do a Dragon ride one Spring weekend, for sure! Maybe tag along the Honda CRF weekend or Yamaha Wr250 r/x weekend.
Many groups get sponsors and some things (food etc paid for etc if organized...) I've done a E30 BMW and E36 ride there and it was a blast, plus very educational re vendors showing installs of tuners, and lots of other goodies.. Same for our bikes, in time, hopefully.

Kato, sounds really nice (and generous) of you and Huck. The trailer for rescue is GREAT, also. Saves a very long wait for a tow/flatbed and associated cost. Even with AAA, if over 3 miles "towing" its by the mile with a minimum of $150, locally in Alex City. (Ask me how I know that:(...
Flats Suck/BLOW without a plug AND compressor...or rescue/help!

ANyway, a new possible purchaser and friend of mine will be lurking on here tonight. I was telling him about the bikes, and what a deal it is, and the ride back (He lives in central GA), and we are possibly doing that together. A VERY nice guy, and pretty damn handy with tools on bikes, tractors, etc. as well. Hopefully, he is interested and will register and post.

Larry Brown, where are you?

Again, thanks guys for the very generous and needed appreciated offers and hospitality.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
Banned

Kato, good Idea re PM personal info!

To avoid any non wanted notice of anyone offering help, lets agree to PM contact information. Listing the "services" and help we can offer shouldn't cause any issues in a guide and on a may, I don't think (comments though are welcome in case I'm missing something).

WHen planning trips, just PM those listed "members/owners" for the address, and contact info. That seems better than out on the net...

Old 01-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
Banned

Thanks and welcome to the list, Rob!

Rob, Thanks! WOW nice set up you have there! Esp jealous of your lift! Thats a back saver for sure!! Very nice to offer it to us as well.

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
In Walla Walla ,SE Washington State, beginning of the Oregon Backroad Discovery Route. Have garage ,tools, m/c lift to work on bikes. ADVer's welcome and roadies too. 509-540-8629, Rob Morel, rj
From my perspective, you're at the end of the WABDR, not the beginning.

I'm happy to offer help to any Chinarider, but my location is not likely to be helpful to anyone.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
Anyone know how to imbed a map, or best way for this? That would really help with trip planning! (Not just this trip, but future ADV rides we do) ie. single or buddy rides, AND Zong get togethers at Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon, etc.

We definitely need to do a Dragon ride one Spring weekend, for sure! Maybe tag along the Honda CRF weekend or Yamaha Wr250 r/x weekend.

Try here:
http://www.click2map.com/locate_the_...twork_on_a_map

And I'm definitely up for a Dragon Meet sometime, I do one for my Subaru's once a year, I love that area....
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 01-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #11

Smile

Weldangrind, Correct on the WABDR, in fact I'm several hours east from where you end up on the Columbia river end from Canada. I was referencing the Oregon one that starts about 10-12 miles out of Walla Walla in the Oregon foothills, assuming your doing Oregon route from north to south .
As to putting us on a map, there used to be a site where you could have a map of anyplace in the world that others could go and put their little star where they were from . Could be relatives ,car owners, or other interest groups. I just don't remember what it's called?????? rj

Old 01-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #12

If someone PMs I will get an email notification on my phone. Leave a phone number and I will call you back. My email is also in my contact info.

The road to my house is paved. We do have running water in Kansas.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Banned

WOw! Thanks veryone for your response!

Its great to know, especially for naysayers, us Zongers ride and have support!
Though, as Spud can testify, our bikes can RIDE! 60,000 + miles!
I'm kinda liking this, even more now. This COULD work out! Well. FOR EVERYONE!
Thanks everyone, really.
Tommy

Old 01-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
Banned

Dragon ride?

Awesome ! Would you maybe start a thread to gauge interest? Usually the first year is not a big gathering, but with good posting, and better planning next yrs, it can grow to be a force! If alive, I'll attend!