Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #1

Battery Terminals

Went to drop a new battery in the white RX3 and the cheap, thin, negative terminal (the part you bolt through) cracked off the end of the wires. Now I have one super fat wire and two small wires that I need to crimp a new end on to.

Any ideas? I'd like to put something a little more substantial on it than the original thin terminal connector.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #2

Ring terminals are commonly available all over. You can get nice gold ones at a stereo shop, or generic zinc at any auto parts store, Walmart, they're just everywhere. If you don't have a crimping tool, for this size you can get away with using Vise Grips and clamping down incrementally until the wire is well crimped. Easy.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
Ring terminals are commonly available all over. You can get nice gold ones at a stereo shop, or generic zinc at any auto parts store, Walmart, they're just everywhere. If you don't have a crimping tool, for this size you can get away with using Vise Grips and clamping down incrementally until the wire is well crimped. Easy.
I have a bunch of them and the tool but none for that thick gauge of wire. I thought I had some larger ones but after digging for an undetermined amount of time, I went from small to smaller. I'll have to gauge the wire and get the right size connector.
I was just wondering if someone may have come up with a "cooler" setup or possibly "I used "these" and they rock!"

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #4

Make your own lugs with copper tubing in the correct size.

Rojo

Old 05-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I was just wondering if someone may have come up with a "cooler" setup or possibly "I used "these" and they rock!"
These things are commodity items, rarely branded. Except for Ancor, which is the gold standard in marine fittings, and if anything, I'd simply buy their brand. Particularly the ones with built-in self-sealing (heat shrink) covers. They are good for the salt water environment, so they are great on a motorcycle.

I ripped my thumbnail off making my own terminals a few months ago. I rarely do that, and think it's a waste of time, but I was trying to finish a project on a Sunday night and didn't want to wait. It has almost grown back now. The underside of nails is pretty interesting, never would have known it's ridged.

http://www.ancorproducts.com/en/prod...ls/heat-shrink

Old 05-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #6

Oh man... I just cringed reading that....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #7

It's oddly less painful than it would seem. Not a fun activity, but not horrible. The actual worse part is just trying to function as a normal human without a thumbnail. You have no idea how often you use your thumb tip, and it's non-functional without a nail. Oh, and pressure on it for the first month was horrible, and still now is bad. It's not possible to press hard buttons even.