Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2019, 06:37 AM   #1

New RX3 Parts For Sale

A few things to sell cheap as Rex went to a new home yesterday:

Stock Zongshen RX3 Seat (never used) - $20.00 plus shipping

Stock Zongshen RX3 Handlebars (never used) - $20.00 plus shipping

Stock Zongshen RX3 front Rotor (never used) - $20.00 plus shipping

And, I have a stock skid plate (never used) that I'll throw in to any of the above for anyone who wants it!

OR - Everything for $50.00 plus shipping!

Just PM me if interested.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Last edited by Dualsport Chic; 05-20-2019 at 07:06 AM.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
A few things to sell cheap as Rex went to a new home yesterday:

Stock Zongshen RX3 Seat (never used) - $25.00 plus shipping

Stock Zongshen RX3 Handlebars (never used) - $25.00 plus shipping

Stock Zongshen RX3 front Rotor (never used) - $25.00 plus shipping

And, I have a stock skid plate (never used) that I'll throw in to any of the above for anyone who wants it!

OR - Everything for $60.00 plus shipping!

Just PM me if interested.
I will be in CT June 9th or so! The skid plate interests me! ( Is it the CSC or stock unit?) just figured I best ask!

What is the price on that alone? or maybe the lot if I could look to collect? And I would prepay Paypal if that is OK?

Old 05-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

DSC! I was wondering where you've been! Hope all is well and sorry to hear you sold Rex!
If you would be so kind, feel free to add something to this thread about your experience with the RX3, good or bad.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23469

Hope you come back and visit once in a while!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #4

Hey There 2LZ! Got into a pretty horrific head-on crash on the XT250 with a kid who drifted his Mustang convertible into my lane around a hairpin last September which totaled my beloved XT Momo (bent frame) and have been recuperating from my injuries. Sad as that same morning the bike clicked 40K miles - quite a milestone for that little engine - and was still running like a champ.

Rex sat since my MABDR trip in May and wasn't used. Had him on Craigslist on and off for the last year. A member in the group I run (Northeast Dualsport Riders) bought him for a bargain price as I had about $6.5K into the bike. But nice to know he's going to stay in the NDR family so to speak.

Have a 2013 XT250 that I found with 36 miles on it up in Buffalo, NY and have kitted it out pretty well. The new little guy (Lil' Mo) has big duty this year for a very special project which I'll be able to share with everyone come year end.

Hope to check in from time to time to say hello and check on how everyone is doing with their RX3s and will refer my friend who bought Rex here as well as it is a tremendous forum for brand information by some really nice folks who own the model.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 05-02-2019, 09:01 PM   #5

Ok - this is the post that talks about my ultimate experience with Rex.

The deal breaker - the bike was too high for my inseam which precluded me from putting proper D/S tires on it (bad back so lowering links out of the question). This made my MABDR experience abysmal - the front end was washing out around every greasy hairpin through VA which really marred my experience of the route as I had trouble keeping up with my pack (and I'm usually the one going too fast for my fellow riders when I'm on the XT).

The ergonomics proved poor for standing for long periods of time. May have been able to fix that with some bar-back risers. Foot peg position was not optimal either - it did not leave me truly centered on the machine when off-piste. At the end of the BDR, I felt physically and mentally exhausted from continually battling with the bike through the numerous spots of challenging terrain/weather along the route.

Lastly, the resale on this bike is NON EXISTENT. Again, the risk of buying a Chinese product as there is not enough buy-in to buoy resale prices. I sold the bike for well under 1/2 of what I had into it and it didn't even have 7K miles on the odo.

What I really liked about the bike - road manners were lovely. Slabbed it back over two days from western NC and did 475 miles day one and 410 the next day and I arrived home in relatively good shape given nearly 1000 miles in two days. I also liked the DIY aspect of the RX3 along with the DVD to help those of us who aren't wrenches ease in to working on our own machines.

Support from CSC truly was great - the folks were very helpful and worked with me on several issues. Special shout out to Gerry - appreciated all the time he spent with me when I was trying to find tires that wouldn't lift the bike up too high for me. I also really liked the look of the RX3 - still do - its a pretty machine and I found several folks I interacted with saying the same when they got to look it over.

If I didn't already have my 05 F650gs, I probably would have kept the bike as a light commuter but it just was redundant with my current stable of machines.

What soured me on CSC was when they used my reviews without my permission (which were strictly off-limits for sharing), morphing them into CSC marketing material. When I brought it to their attention, copying my attorney, I never even got a response, much less a note of apology from Steve, the owner. Shame on them.

The RX3 is a great bike for what it is, but CSC tried to expand the audience of the bike by making it appear what it really is not: It is a light ADV bike , and I stress LIGHT and also a great commuter. It is in no way, shape or form and Dual-sport bike and cannot easily go where D/S machines regularly travel. There are a few folks (Joe Martin for example) who have really put it to the test but probably would have enjoyed their adventures oodles more on properly suspended steeds that would have been more suited to technical terrain.

Chinese bikes are making advances every year and within the next decade I would expect them to be on par with Japanese reliability and technology. Great to see new offerings in the market - its good when new entrants to the market challenge the competition as buyers ultimately win with more choices and improved quality over time. I wish Zongshen well in this regard as they're off to a decent start down that path.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 05-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #6

I think all of that is rather accurate, minus the personal fitment parts which vary by person of course. Resale--yeah, I got my well-equipped 2016 with 11k miles on it for $1260! And the guy was so happy to finally have a buyer. I've seen them sit on CL for months. Light adventure is probably right also--I've barely tasted dirt. For me its primary purpose is to be a fun around town bike, and occasionally hit a light trail. I have a Jeep, so it's competing with that for off-road time. But I love this bike for just around town, and you can do a full normal grocery trip with the Tourfella luggage. I've never filled them (though the 35 pound dog food had to go on the back seat).

I'd rather have a BMW GS. I can't justify the costs right now. This got me back on two wheels for pretty much nothing.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #7

I used to call the bike - my Chinese GS (Grocery Shopper) as the luggage fit a whole weeks worth of food when I went food shopping.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #8

Price lowered on parts - see OP above - stuff's gotta go!
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius