Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

RX3 Testimonials and Issues

Hi all, it appeared that we were going a little adrift on NZ's "Parts Direct" thread, so let's start a new one.

Sqwert seems to have had his fair share of issues with his RX3 and put it out to pasture, albeit a high mileage bike. I'm hoping he'll chime in here with a chronological list of his problems.

I, on the other hand, have had zero issues with either of ours but that said, they also don't get ridden a ton due to a large stable and like the rest of us, spare time around life. Ours are toys and not transportation.

Feel free to add your experiences. I'm hoping some of the old RX3 guard will toss in their .02.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #2

Copied and Pasted from other thread

Math Teacher said:

My 2015 RX3 just rolled over 20,000 miles. Used for daily commuting and weekend road trips in Southern Calif. Fair amount of 2 up riding. Still have the original front tire, but I have changed the rear already 3 times. I had the gear shift lever spring fail at about 12,000 miles and that repair involved some partial tear down to replace. While I was in there I replaced the clutch as well. Did not really need the clutch, but while it was apart I got it done.

That little spring has been my only failure. That spring has been upgraded so should not be a problem for anyone going forward. Very reliable bike.

Valve adjustments require some time to partially tear down the bike to get to the valve covers, after that it goes quickly and easily. I have noticed that the exhaust valve need adjustment more frequently than the intakes. I do the exhaust valves every 3,000 miles with minimum tear down of the bike. I do the intake valves every 6,000 with more disassembly of the bike required. I set the valve adjustment at the higher end of the specification. That gap gets smaller over time as the bike is ridden until out of spec.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #3

Cpoied and Pasted from Other Thread

Sqwert said:

Finally was able to be home with decent weather to ride. NZ's seat cover is awesome, at least as comfy as any other mod or combination of mods I've tried. For the price, can't be beat.

However, doesn't matter any more. The RX3 has 12460 miles, and that's all I'll go for. I've been riding for 54 years and literally have had to tow the bike home for repairs as many times in 12460 miles as all previous street bikes combined, about 660,000 miles. Also, the RX3 takes 3-4 times as many hours to keep it serviced and repaired as any other motorcycle I've had over the last 54 years.

If I didn't have other bikes I'd be stuck in the shop tomorrow fixing the RX3 AGAIN instead of riding. Tomorrow I'm changing the oil and switching the plate to the TW276 café. It hasn't yet broken. The RX3 is getting fuel treatment and shoved to the back of the stack of projects wanting my attention.

I regret selling the Nighthawk 750 instead of making the ergos fit. Minimum maintenance and dependable as a rock. Brake, electrical, suspension, and ergo upgrades would come out cheaper than keeping the RX3 running, and never adjust valves. AAAaaaahhhhh!!!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #4

The only real failure I've had on my 2015 RX3 (first shipment) was the "Shifter return spring" broke on mine a few weeks ago.....about 12,000 miles on it.

I'm Still happy with the bike.

I did install the "300cc Kit" last year, which helped it with more bottom end, which makes it more fun to ride.

It is still the bike I generally "Hop On" when I'm riding to work, or around here local.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 04-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #5

RX3 20,000 Miles

The original chain is nothing special, so that was changed at 5 or 6 thousand miles. During one of the valve adjustments, I took off the gas tank to improve access to the intake valves. That is a good time to change the fuel filter. Also during valve adjustments you pull the spark plug to release compression from the engine. That is a good time to put in a new spark plug. Mine did not need the spark plug, but I put in a new one at 10,000 miles. My riding is about 10% dirt roads so I check, clean and oil the air filter as needed. Typically every 5,000 miles. Plus the usual oil changes, tire pressure, and chain lube. That's it.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:32 AM   #6

Mine is a first shipment 2015. I’m not sure I’m a good data point since I only have just over 1000 miles on it. I had to replace fork seals, the chain (due to tons of stretch) and the orange paint has faded some after using the bike for a few weeks of commuting in the summer (parked outside at work during the day for that time). The chain was no big deal to me, but fork seal and the paint was a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

I’d ride it a lot more, if it had a little more power/torque. I’d sell it, if I could get even a remotely reasonable amount for it. I bought the big bore kit from NZ and will put it in soon. Maybe that will get me on the bike more, especially if it will maintain 70mph (actual) up hills on state highways. I’m generally happy with the bike for light use and limiting to short runs on the interstate. It’s great for BLM/NF roads with a set of DS tires. A 2-3 night trip on dirt roads and nothing really technical is great with this bike. If it keeps the hours off my other bikes and doesn’t prove to be a maintenance headache, I’ll be happy.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #7

I got a 2017 got it out for the Destination Trip I'm at lil over 12,000 miles replace chain at 10,000 tires at 6,600 because of a trip to Big Been I've adjusted valves at every 5,000 miles and oil at5000 or 4000 pure synthetic oil. Only replace starter sylinod

Old 04-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #8

Running Well @ 14,000 Miles

I just passed 14,000 miles without any problems on mine. I did swap out the original chain at the 500 mile service, due to the known issue with it wearing rapidly. I am on my fourth OEM CST rear tire, still rocking the original front. I will change it when the fifth tire goes on the rear, around 18-19,000 miles if all goes according to plan.

I did take the opportunity at the last rear tire swap to change out the rear sprocket bolts for harder KLR650 ones. Note that the loctite that Zongshen uses is really good stuff. So good that you have to heat the bolt bosses in the hub and keep them heated, in order to remove the original bolts. If you let them cool in the slightest, the thread locker resets and you risk rounding out the allen heads in the bolts. Keep them hot, and all you need is a 1/4" drive ratchet and about 10-15 pounds of torque to get the OEM bolts out.

Regarding the valves, they have been adjusted at 500 and 4600 miles. Inspected again with no adjustment needed at 8500 miles, and I am not going to look at them again until 15,000 miles. The engine runs well, it does not die when pulling in the clutch lever and letting it drop down to idle; this is usually a dead giveaway that the valves need to be adjusted. I do use the Lucas Fuel Injector and Upper Cylinder Lubricant that CSC's former service manager, Gerry Edwards, recommended for the RX3's NC250 engine. I add a squirt to the fuel tank each time I fill up. I can't say definitively that it is the reason for the valves not moving since the 4600 mile adjustment, but at $24 for a gallon, it's cheap insurance. One gallon lasted me 10,000 miles, which worked out to about 3X the recommended ratio in the mixing instructions.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #9

8500 miles

I have one of the last of the 2015's. The bike died on me after my first valve adj. kinked fuel line i still can't figure out how the fuel filter goes on that tang under the tank, i just leave everything loose under there. Replaced chain front and rear sprocket at 6000 miles.Checked valves at all the suggested mileage think first time it needed one was at 5000. The mighty Zong lives at 8500 rpms around 60 to 68 mph 5th gear never use 6th vermont roads. But it thrives in 3rd and 4th on the endless dirt roads. Change oil and clean air filter other than that i pretty much abuse it think it has the same dirt from the first day i got it. No complaints

Old 04-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #10

9900 on a 2015

I use my RX3 fairly regularly for shorter trips, and always enjoy riding it. Just a very handy machine, fun for just about any kind of riding as long as you don't have to cover a lot of freeway miles. I've taken it on few longer adventures and hope to get out more this coming year. Just approaching 10,000 miles.

I've experienced most of the issues folks have mentioned. Broken shift return spring, early wear of OEM chain, leaking OEM battery, bad headlight switch gear, and I've had to do more work tightening, sealing, and lubing parts than you'd expect on a Japanese machine. But its been easy to do, parts and farkles are cheap, and the bike has never stranded me or let me down. And when I bought it in 2015, it was really about the only game in town for a small bore adventure-type bike.

My main issue overall is low resale value. But the up front cost was relatively low. You just need to ride the thing to get your value out of it.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #11

Speaking of resale value, my 20,000 mile good condition 2015 RX3 will be sold soon so I can get the RX4. What is a reasonable price range I can expect to get for an old RX3?

Old 04-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #12

I'll be curious to see what you get for it.

Regarding resale and China Bikes, I've done better "percentage-wise" on my CB's than I've ever done on any of my Japanese bikes, just due to original purchase price.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #13

The prices don't seem to be consistent. I shopped for a while and found varying prices. I ended up paying $1260 last year for a 2016 with 11k, upgraded luggage and quite a few of the OEM upgrades, in good condition. It's been fine since. It think part of the price variations has to do with whether someone will wait for the right buyer. I watched one sit around for months at $2200 (2015, mostly stock/basic). It finally sold but I don't know for how much. I had talked to the guy, then found the other deal and bought that instead.

Also now might be a bad time to sell, there are suddenly more on the market, probably by others upgrading also.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #14

I was not expecting to get much for the used RX3. That was part of the original appeal for me, a disposable motorcycle. We replace our TV's now, we don't fix them. Same idea here. If it ever died, I would leave it on the side of the road and just walk away. Like a lizard shedding his skin. I am exaggerating (just a little) to get the point across. I love my RX3, and I already made my deposit on my RX4, but I don't plan to keep it forever.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #15

Have 2 2015's. A fast orange one and a blue one plus a tt 250. About 4k on each of them with no issues at all on any of the CSC bikes. No complaints

As to value I bought my blue bike used with 150 miles on it in late 2016 for $2,500. Have seen others on craigslist in various parts of the country for about that same price for 2016s 2017s

Rojo