Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #1

As if I needed more reasons to hate snowbirds and government offices

I finally got around to doing the title transfer at the motor vehicle office in Sun City, where the average age is death. I thought there would be smaller lines, and indeed, the DOT web site claimed it was only a nine minute wait.

Nein. It was a 50 minute wait, mostly 100 year olds being told over and over again that yes, you need to bring your paperwork with you, and yes, you have to pay the fees for your expired registration before getting a sticker, etc etc. One had to hear it SIX damn times.

But I digress. I'm almost done, finally, when an MVD employee yells, "Who has a motorcycle with a California license plate?" Took me a minute to register, and actually the clerk mentioned it first. "Didn't you bring this from California?"

The old dude JUST.DIDN'T.SEE.IT

Old 03-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #2

Oh man.... I've had that happen THREE TIMES over my lifetime. It SUCKS!!!

My boss just bought a new HD. I told him, "The only chance you have to to park all the way at the BACK of your parking place or some a-hole will ass-punch your bike through the spot turning into it. Even with that, fingers crossed.

I hope it survived the fall ok. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................

It is kind of odd how the "collision repair center" is in the background tho...

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #3

Man that sucks, But hey, your are right across the street from a collision center so you could get a quick estimate on the damage. lol Yeah, I know not funny but what a coincidence.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #4

The irony is strong in that picture.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #5

Yeah, I made sure to get that in this picture, the first one I took didn't include it. No damage to the bike. I mean, there might be more scratches on top of the previous scratches, can't tell. The only things that hit were the guards, the corner of the bag, and the bar end. Which kind of reminds me that I really should replace the missing left bar end. I've been lazy. Anyone have an opinion on OEM versus something else?

Old 03-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #6

That story is hilarious...up to the point I scrolled down! This photo should go viral, however; I envision a caption something along the lines of, "Oh, no! Where can I take it to get repaired??!!" Okay, maybe not so good, but I think a caption contest is in order!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #7

I can attest to the drivers in Arizona being bat-shit crazy! The snowbirds are almost as bad as all the teeny-boppers out there on their cell phones posting selfies to social media while eating their drive-thru and practicing the latest dance routine, all while demonstrating to the rest of us poor saps how they really should be Indy car drivers.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #8

I think the snowbirds are a bigger problem than people driving and texting while drunk. Unfortunately I live near their nesting area, and frequently shop and do business where their main area intersects civilization. It's a mess all winter.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #9

In Yuma, the make a mess out of the so-called Foothills area; about 10 miles away from my AZ house.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #10

Sorry to hear of your mishap.

I once witnessed a guy zip into a parking lot, drive too fast down a lane of parked cars, and swing into a space, smashing the bike that was parked in the space close to the curb end.

Ever since then, if I park in a lot like that, I always leave my bike parked all the way at the open end of the space so that it is clear to the distracted masses that there is something parked there.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 03-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #11

Yeah, I always park even with the back of the cars next to me. Didn't help here.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:26 PM   #12

I park in the no parking areas at the ends of the rows. No matter how or where you park in any parking space of any type there is always some idiot who does things stupid. If you park across the spot instead of in line with the cars some idiot in the next spot will not see the bike and hook a tire on his way out. Happens all the time. I heard in Japan anyone who causes a wreck and tells a judge, "I didn't see it" hears, "If you can't see any better than that you don't need to drive," and their license is confiscated. That should be done everywhere. People get to a certain age and cause a half dozen wrecks in as many weeks before figuring out they are old. My mother is 87, has cataracts, and still drives. Be very afraid.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #13

I try to find those kinds of spaces, and sidewalks, very often. But only if the bike won't be a problem for someone. With the bags on, it takes up quite a bit of room. And this was a government agency, so I feared excessive law enforcement. The only sidewalk spot would be close to, if not on, a handicapped access area.

Of all the bikes I've owned in decades, this is the only one to get hit in a parking space, and the only one that could handle it fine. All the others have been plastic-covered. It's also the one that should have been most visible.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post

Of all the bikes I've owned in decades, this is the only one to get hit in a parking space, and the only one that could handle it fine. .
Zong builds the RX3 tougher than it has to be, for sure. Mine was tossed unto concrete from about 8 feet up and 65mph, landed upside down if the damage can be considered, and still could be ridden.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:25 AM   #15

All of my other bikes were covered in plastic. It's not about how they build these, it's that they aren't sport bikes covered in plastic.