Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

Riding the 2020 RX4

TEST RIDE IN THE SAN GABRIEL MOUNTAINS

Throughout my life, having owned over 50 motorcycles, I’ve continually sought the bigger, faster and more technologically advanced models to fill what seemed to be an insatiable appetite for that adrenaline rush. But along with that came higher purchase prices, higher maintenance costs with more dealer dependence and higher insurance costs. Along with the monetary increases the size and weight increased as well and was becoming more difficult to manage in my advancing years.

In the past year I have been fortunate enough to be introduced to the exciting world of CSC motorcycles. A new concept of marketing and a new approach to motorcycling that represent thinking “outside the box”. Or more specifically, “inside the box”. This new business model created by Steve Seidner is a form of mail order that allows the buyer to choose the model he/she wants, and it is shipped to your house in a box, all assembled, tested, gas in the tank and ready to ride. And the various models represent the concept of smaller is better rather than bigger is better.

My first exposure to the CSC family was their TT250, a 250cc Enduro style bike that harkens back to yesteryear when small displacement bikes were inexpensive, easy to work on and fun to ride. I bought it to have some fun in the woods around my home in Oregon. My 1200cc BMW was great in the canyons but I wanted some diversity. To my surprise, the TT surpassed all my expectations and I found myself riding it all the time with a big grin on my face. And with CSC’s supplied service manual and their video tutorials on their website I was able to all the maintenance myself at no cost. One day, while looking over their website, their RX3 Adventure bike caught my attention. Here was a bike that could offer the same lightweight, economical fun as the TT but could take be farther to explore more territory. So soon another box arrived with my new beautiful copper colored RX3. More miles and more smiles. So much so that I sold my BMW and haven’t looked back. So far, with a combined 5000 miles on both bikes I haven’t experienced a single problem. Both are comfortable, reliable and 60 mpg economical.

Name:  65303B1A-C337-4A72-84AE-3AEAD508015E.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  21.0 KB

This past week I had an opportunity to be in Los Angeles and decided to swing by CSC in Azusa about 45 minutes away, to check out their latest and greatest model, the RX4. This is essentially a beefed up RX3 keeping the same overall dimensions but adding a 450cc single and dual disc brakes. Steve was kind enough to allow Joey, the service manager, guide me up into the San Gabriel mountains for an hour, exciting ride in the canyons. Wow !!! What a remarkable motorcycle. Plenty of power, torque everywhere and nimble yet planted handling. Move over RX3, your big brother is moving in and he is now my bike of choice. What a remarkable, well sorted out bike that retains all the wonderful characteristics of the RX3 but adds even more fun to the equation. The only problem ? I have to wait until the Spring for the new models to arrive.

Thanks Steve for allowing me this great opportunity and Joey for leading me on a thrilling test ride.

Name:  97693AE6-2A47-4EE1-A90E-517240A26382.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  21.2 KB

Last edited by Meloman; 03-03-2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Add photo

Old 03-03-2019, 08:42 PM   #2

That clutch bracket set up I think even works good on the RX4 motor

Old 03-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #3

Sneaky sales tactics.

Yeah, I think that's pretty rotten the way Steve and CSC works.

They don't just tell you all the pluses and benefits of their line of bikes. By having you go out in unfamiliar territory on an unfamiliar machine, they extort you in to falling in love. Kind of a Stockholm Syndrome thing.

I had temporary stewardship of a black SG250 while the new owner was moving up from S. California. Wife even kept commenting on how cute it is, and noted how easily she could swing a leg over (lucky for me she isn't an operater) and it felt so light.

Curse the whole gang at CSC. Oh, also the CSC Motorcycles ball caps are very nice textile and embroidery.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #4

It was a horrifying experience. My nerves were on edge, my head was aching, my teeth were clenched tight and my heart was pounding like an Indian drum. The stress was way over the top and I hope I can avoid ever doing it again.

Oh, you were talking about the RX4 ? I was talking about the LA traffic.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloman View Post
It was a horrifying experience. My nerves were on edge, my head was aching, my teeth were clenched tight and my heart was pounding like an Indian drum. The stress was way over the top and I hope I can avoid ever doing it again.

Oh, you were talking about the RX4 ? I was talking about the LA traffic.
I drove in LA traffic at night time - REMEMBER I grew up driving on the LEFT SIDE of the road NOT the RIGHT SIDE!!!!!

Old 03-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #6

LA traffic isn't bad. No worse than fighting Satan and it's demons when you are outnumbered 478:1. That's when you notice certain flames provide no Light. All that alcohol and other fuel additives burn without visible flame. Now, if we could get the Californicators to drink grain based fuels like beer and whiskey, the chemical contaminates therein could certainly brighten things up.

Okay, way too deep. Let's get happy.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Now, if we could get the Californicators to drink grain based fuels like beer and whiskey, the chemical contaminates therein could certainly brighten things up.
Rest assured, this Northern Californicator is doing his part drinking whisky and beer to help brighten things up. Taking one for the teem....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #8

LA's a fascinating place. I liked it a lot more than i ever thought I would. I was sad last time I could not get up to CSC's place.

Some day I will.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #9

Fascinating is probably a good word. I would probably enjoy it a lot if I hadn't lived there.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:12 AM   #10

I live here and traffic sucks big time. I don't usually drink, but when I do, it is beer, and NOT before getting on the freeway, that is for sure. I haven't ridden anything for a while on two wheels, but did have a several months part-time job riding both a 50cc Honda Metro or a 155cc Yamaha SMax through downtown L.A. traffic, and a few times on the freeway--stop and go traffic with lane splitting. Fun, fun, fun! I mean that or I would have quit. The only reason I don't do it anymore is because the restaurant closed down, and reopened as a 'Memphis' style chicken place and they don't do deliveries. Oh, and part of what made it fun was the fact the bikes were not mine, and I didn't even have to pay for fuel.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I did have a several months part-time job riding both a 50cc Honda Metro or a 155cc Yamaha SMax through downtown L.A. traffic, and a few times on the freeway--stop and go traffic with lane splitting. Fun, fun, fun!
You know, I'm a little too busy with all of my current commitments, but if that part-time job were available here, I would be all over it. It sounds like that was a nice setup.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #12

We are practically neighbors; I live in Northridge and commute daily to Palmdale and back every day; both ways against traffic (or I wouldn't have done it). Maybe the members here can crowdfund a bar night for us to drink whisky and beer!!??

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #13

My California commute traffic is brutal. This is the morning rush hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0736.jpg (54.3 KB, 867 views)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontando View Post
I'm in Granada Hills and commute to North Hollywood every day. It's not too bad if I skip the 118 and just use I-5\170, carpool lane, and split when needed.

Of course, that's only 14 miles each way.

When I was commuting to Santa Ana 50 miles each direction, that's another story.
LA to Santa Ana must have been nerve racking on the bike but the savings in time really adds up. I did Apple Valley to LA once a week for the last couple years on the 15, 210, 605 and 10. Although not my idea of fun, I must have saved a few weeks worth of my life spent in traffic, 88 miles one way. Added up to about 15,000 miles in two years. Only issue I ever had was when my bars clipped a Honda civic passenger side mirror splitting lanes on Hill in Chinatown at about 3 mph.

The Cajon Pass on Friday night is a scary place. People are fuming as they sit idle in traffic realizing they are going to miss their concert, show, or dinner reservations in Vegas. You occasionally have folks intentionally block you from lane splitting or cut you off. Lots of low speed near misses and middle fingers there. Whiskey or beer are needed post ride for sure.

Culcune the company bike must have been awesome. Postmates deliveries after-work kept me very busy in DTLA. Getting paid to ride is indeed very fun and has tax benefits.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #15

Riding the company bikes was great! Funny enough, there was a pizza place a block away that uses a TGB 50cc 2 stroke. They advertised on Craigslist for a delivery driver in Sherman Oaks (no scooter, own vehicle...what?), downtown, or Hollywood, both on scooters. Their scooter. I have an interview tomorrow...lol

TGB Delivery Scooter 150