Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #1

Rear Brake Pedal Position

Hello hello everyone....
Question for you all - has anyone adjusted the position of the rear brake pedal? Perhaps drop it a bit from it's stock position? I am asking because it feels like when my foot is on the peg and relaxed, if I keep my toe over the brake, I have to constantly keep my foot flexed to not have the brake engaged - additionally, I find it very difficult to control the amount of brake applied in slow speed maneuvers when the pedal is positioned thusly.

One of the instructors suggested I just put my foot over the very edge of the brake pedal, but in my mind it doesn't seem like that should gain me any more control over the brake - and if anything it lessens the control vs if I have the pedal fully covered.

Still very much a green rider - finally approaching the 2k mi mark on the bike.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #2

Indeed I have. I find that on typical Japanese and Chinese motorcycles, my right foot is forced to be at less than 90 degrees to my shin, which can be awfully uncomfortable. I insist on riding with my foot on the brake pedal, so I adjust as necessary to make that happen comfortably.
The method of adjustment depends on drum or disc, along with how crude or complex the design is. I've even welded a new mount to the frame to relocate the rear master cylinder.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
The method of adjustment depends on drum or disc, along with how crude or complex the design is. I've even welded a new mount to the frame to relocate the rear master cylinder.
And therin lies the rub. I got home after the class, parked the bike, but did not get eye to eye with the brake pedal to see how easy it may or may not be to adjust for position. was hoping it would be something similar to the shifter (which I adjusted when I replaced the stock shifter with a different one). here's hoping it isn't something too complex.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #4

The push rod that goes into the cylinder has a threaded shaft that can be rotated into the endpiece that attaches to the back of the pedal, and a lock nut, and it allows for some adjustment.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Hello hello everyone....
Question for you all - has anyone adjusted the position of the rear brake pedal? Perhaps drop it a bit from it's stock position?
Yes, it was one of the first adjustments that I made to the bike.

Look directly below the rear master cylinder and you will see a rubber boot covering the adjustable linkage between the master cylinder and the foot pedal. To adjust, peel back the boot from the pedal end and loosen the locknut. Then turn the link rod to lower or raise the pedal height. I have mine set quite low, so that I have to really try to engage it. It helps to avoid rear brake lockups when practicing emergency stops, since the RX3 has a very good rear brake.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
I have mine set quite low, so that I have to really try to engage it. It helps to avoid rear brake lockups when practicing emergency stops, since the RX3 has a very good rear brake.
Ugh. Indeed, the rear brake is very good at locking up - I have noted this challenging behavior at 2 classes and during parking lot practice. At least I haven't panicked whenever I've feel the drift and slide and let go of the brake...

Thank you for the detailed information on making the adjustment!

Old 02-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #7

Adjusting the linkage below the cylinder as described seemed to allow a more gradual engagement. Mine is backed off low enough it takes a bit of effort to lock the back wheel. It has excellent stopping power, with a more comfortable riding position and more progressive feel.