Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #1

Can only start bike in Neutral

I was out on a ride today and at one of our rest stops I put the key in on like normal, flipped the kill switch to RUN, pulled the clutch and hit the start button and NOTHING. Played with the key and run switch and that didn't help. Then I put the bike in neutral and it fired right up. Ran great. But I can repeat this over and over.

I'll call Gerry on Tuesday and ask what to look for but wondering if you folks have any ideas to look at?

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 AM   #2

There should be a diode attached to the wiring harness somewhere. When that goes out it will cause your symptoms.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #3

I would check the clutch switch as well.

For the starter relay energizing circuit to complete it needs to ground through either the gear switch in the neutral position or the clutch switch closed ( lever pulled in).

My simplified wiring diag below , hmm, helpful or confusing, I can't decide

Name:  CLUTCH SWITCH DIAG.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  61.9 KB

Last edited by katflap; 02-26-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

That is by design so you dont start it in gear. Same with my bike. Also so if you remote start it you dont have your bike take off with out you lol.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #5

Joe, check the connector for the clutch switch to be sure the pins are making contact, some of the various connector pins have been reported to have not been fully seated and work out of the connector body.

If there is good connection there, test the clutch switch with a meter.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #6

If the side stand is down, it won't start in gear, regardless of clutch lever position.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #7

Thanks! Doing a full clean of the bike today and will check the switch out and use my multi-meter on it. It got filthy yesterday. I'll post the video of the ride soon.

Ben, the RX3 doesn't have a side-stand switch.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

I responded to this before watching your latest video.

Your go-down laid the left side in the dirt, possibly the clutch switch/wiring took a love tap at that time.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Thanks! Doing a full clean of the bike today and will check the switch out and use my multi-meter on it. It got filthy yesterday. I'll post the video of the ride soon.

Ben, the RX3 doesn't have a side-stand switch.
Really? That's good info. I'm not sure if the missing side stand safety switch is good or bad. Maybe bad for a new rider, but those of us that have been riding for a long time know to make sure the stand is up.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #10

Jay, The issue started before the crash. After I got the bike cleaned up today I started going over this issue. I started with the clutch switch. First thing I did was unplug the wires and connect them together. Now, I could start the bike when in gear. So I know the switch was the issue. I unscrewed it from the bike and noticed that it was a bit sticky. so I tapped, pushed, wiggled the switch and tested it again on the multi-meter. Worked fine now. So I put back on the bike and it's working. I'll chat with Gerry and see if he thinks I should replace it or not.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #11

Ben, I was originally going to add a sidestand switch. Another person on this forum had done it and I was going to copy them. After speaking with some friends they recommended not as they had disabled theirs on their branded bikes.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Ben, I was originally going to add a sidestand switch. Another person on this forum had done it and I was going to copy them. After speaking with some friends they recommended not as they had disabled theirs on their branded bikes.

I have only disabled mine for a few reasons. The main one was to continue riding. Another was the expense for a new one just not being worth it. The only other one I can remember right off is the unavailability of a replacement.

I have accidently left a side stand down and wrecked myself, slow speed flop. It's been quite a long time since I have done that. I got into the routine of popping up the side stand, as soon as I get my leg over the seat, and plant my foot.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
There should be a diode attached to the wiring harness somewhere. When that goes out it will cause your symptoms.
A bad diode will only make the neutral light come on when pulling in the clutch. But this was on a Hawk. May be different on other bikes.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #14

So the switch had felt gritty but was working until today when again it stopped. I checked again with a multimeter and it was gritty and if I pulled it out it would register. I removed from the bike and noticed that the switch has 2 holes on the back of it. So for grins I sprayed some WD40 in the hole and it came shooting out the second hold but also some dribbled out the switch. So I plugged the second hold and give it a good spray while working the switch in and out and now it's smooth at butter and it working great. I'll test out more over the next few weeks and if it get bad again I'll get a new one from Gerry when I'm down at CSC for the Baja Ride in a few weeks.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #15

I have a similar problem. Mine will not start in gear with the clutch pulled. I have tested the switch on the clutch and it is working. The wire to it are green and orange. I shorted them and it still would not start in gear. They go into the wiring harness on the handlebar. Where is the other end of that circuit? Where is the diode? Does it have a connection behind the headlight? 2017 Hawk 250.