Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2019, 03:04 AM   #1

New to me 2017 RX3

I paid $2400 for a 2017 RX3 with 85 miles on it. It is white and it just sat in the owner's garage. He was a short guy and I think he never got comfortable riding the bike.

I picked it up yesterday and today it has 161 miles on it.

I have an 02 1800 Goldwing and there is a big difference between the two bikes. I enjoy the smallness of this bike.

I live in Yuma, AZ and I have a motorhome and a 16ft Lund fishing boat. I enjoy camping at the lake and not having to move the motorhome to go get some supplies. My plan is to add a front hitch onto the front of the motorhome and haul the bike with me on my fishing trips.

If I am going any distance, I will haul it on my Kendron stand up trailer.

I read the manual and I am browsing this forum. I am hopeful that I made a good decision buying this bike. I am not concerned with the resale value of the bike as I plan to keep it a few years at least and I expect it to get roughed up from time to time.

My screen name is LarryinSeattle as I lived there when I first registered on this forum when I purchased a 250cc Chinese dual sport.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190521_192731.jpg (96.5 KB, 416 views)

I am a Friend of Bill Wilson. Are you?

Retired and living the dream in Yuma, AZ.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

Nice score. Why can't I run across deals like that?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #3

home on the trailer

It was easier to go get it and bring it home on the Kendron trailer. 185 miles one way and it was windy to boot.

I am excited about having a bike I can ride on some of these desert roads and be able to explore the area more.

I am enjoying this forum and I hope to become a contributing member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190521_121430.jpg (98.7 KB, 347 views)

Old 05-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

Other bike

I have an 02 1800 Goldwing ABS with 85,000 miles on it. I have been to quite a few places on this bike. Some with the wife. She has grown tired of tent camping, so we bought a motorhome, so that has drastically changed how we travel.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #5

Big bore kit!

Old 05-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #6

You'll really like the RX3, though it depends on what you're looking for in a bike. We ride ours on mostly paved twisties, canyons and gravel roads and the RX3 is perfect for that, plus the occasional store run. If you're thinking of circumnavigating the Arctic, you may want to try something else.

The bikes are fun, handle very well for what they are and are extremely utilitarian, especially with all the bags that are included. The bags are small but very sturdy.

You've already had a China D/S bike so you know the drill. Just keep that ear-to-ear smile going with how much fun you're having for how little you spent.

As NZ mentioned, the big bore kit is a nice upgrade if you ever get around to it. Really wakes up the mid range. In the meantime, enjoy, congrats and great price for a new bike! We paid 2500 each for both of ours and they were basically new, like yours, at the time.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
You'll really like the RX3, though it depends on what you're looking for in a bike. We ride ours on mostly paved twisties, canyons and gravel roads and the RX3 is perfect for that, plus the occasional store run. If you're thinking of circumnavigating the Arctic, you may want to try something else.

The bikes are fun, handle very well for what they are and are extremely utilitarian, especially with all the bags that are included. The bags are small but very sturdy.

You've already had a China D/S bike so you know the drill. Just keep that ear-to-ear smile going with how much fun you're having for how little you spent.

As NZ mentioned, the big bore kit is a nice upgrade if you ever get around to it. Really wakes up the mid range. In the meantime, enjoy, congrats and great price for a new bike! We paid 2500 each for both of ours and they were basically new, like yours, at the time.
Thanks for your post. Here I thought I stole the bike with a deal of the century. I am happy to have the chance to give this bike a try.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
Thanks for your post. Here I thought I stole the bike with a deal of the century. I am happy to have the chance to give this bike a try.
It is the deal of the century for a basically new bike. We just shared in the same deal! ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #9

I watched that bike sit on CL for a year. It was just a few miles from me. I ended up stealing a better-equipped 2016 in Los Angeles for an insane price, $1260. I had emailed the owner asking if he'd meet me half way, he said no, so I had my brother in LA grab it. At the time I think he was asking over $3K. At $2400 for essentially brand new, you definitely got a deal.

If he had accepted, then I never would have had the opportunity to meet Tako (NZ) and his lovely wife during their USA trip.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #10

I bought this bike one week ago today and I now have 660 miles on the clock. I bought it with 85 miles on it. I am riding it and breaking in my butt on it.

I am experiencing it's limitations but also it has expanded my motorcycle horizons. I have not had an off road motorcycle since relocating to Yuma two years ago.

I found out that it doesn't do sand very well. I read how it doesn't do rock climbing very well. It doesn't do super moto riding very well. However, it has re-invigorated my enthusiasm for motorcycling again.

In order to buy my RX3, I had to give up a motorcycle. I sold a Honda Silverwing 600cc maxi scooter. It had its functions and was a great commuter bike but it can't do what this bike can do.

Happy, happy, happy.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
I bought this bike one week ago today and I now have 660 miles on the clock. I bought it with 85 miles on it. I am riding it and breaking in my butt on it.

I am experiencing it's limitations but also it has expanded my motorcycle horizons. I have not had an off road motorcycle since relocating to Yuma two years ago.

I found out that it doesn't do sand very well. I read how it doesn't do rock climbing very well. It doesn't do super moto riding very well. However, it has re-invigorated my enthusiasm for motorcycling again.

In order to buy my RX3, I had to give up a motorcycle. I sold a Honda Silverwing 600cc maxi scooter. It had its functions and was a great commuter bike but it can't do what this bike can do.

Happy, happy, happy.
The RX3 does a bit of everything fine but no specific thing perfectly
It’s a good rider n you’ll manage bits n bibs if everything and just enjoy riding almost anywhere that’s not far from civilization
A fun bike

Old 05-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #12

Moving from Seattle to Yuma is an extreme change in climate. How long did it take for you to acclimate?

Old 05-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #13

Most of Yuma's open areas are sand...being close to the consistency of beaches; not really good to ride other than with paddle tires. Yuma is 4 wheeler terrain. I commuted from town to the state prison when I worked there on a dual-sport with 17/17 wheels and street tires. I ordered it that way even though I could have bought one with 21/18 wheels and street legal knobbies. I had no desire to ride for recreation on a two wheeler.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard