Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #1

hawk tires and nys inspection

here is the text explaining the nys pass requirement for motorcycle tires.

A tire may not be used if there is:
l a visible break, that is, a cut in excess of one inch which is deep enough to reach body cords;
l any bump, bulge, ply or cord exposure;
l any portion of tread design that is completely worn, and which is of sufficient size to affect the
traction or stopping ability of the tire;
l tread depth (when measured with a tire gauge) of less than 2/32 of an inch;
l labeling such as “not for highway use”, “for racing purposes only

There is no text stating anything about the use purpose on ghe hawks tires, im gonna take it as is and see if it will pass. there is certianly nothing else on the list that the hawk cant pass.

the tire dont wear like any motocross tire ive used in the past. road use will destroy a set motocross tires in a hundred miles or so, hawk tires show no wear after 107 miles.

if it fails ill buy new tires but i would love to wear these down a bit before tossing or giving them away.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #2

I recall one or two New Yorkers getting plates, then a possible, kind of, 'no' but that was months ago. I found it interesting that New York would plate them, yet Alabama, NC, and Pennsylvania, and I am sure other, more rural states, won't.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #3

NYS Inspection

It's all about who you take it to for the inspection. The gentlemen who did mine did zero inspecting. I said everything works great and it's brand new. It was good enough for him and he gave the sticker. This was when I had the stock knobbies on, yet I have changed them since. They are dangerous on asphalt.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #4

The key to this seems to be the wording of the mco, when i requested mine i specifally asked that the body tpe be stated as motorcycle. expcting that dirtbike would be a red flag. the dmv never even blinked just process the paperwork and sent me off with the plate. i have since received my nys title as well.

im not using the hawk as transportation. I just want to be legal to ride down the road to where the trails start, so the small amount of road surface the tires will see wont wear them out much faster than the dirt..

especially if i stay off the stone railroad beds and roads. those tear knobs right off most mx tires.

Last edited by jimwildman; 07-25-2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling