Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for sharing your project. As always, you do excellent work.
Thank you, Spud. I take two tons of steel and glass very seriously, especially when I'm hauling another three tons.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #17

I failed to mention that my good friend and fellow forum member AtomicWedgie spent a Saturday with me, helping me remove my old springs and install the new (to me) ones.

On our next shop day, we intend to install lowering shackles on his '97 F-150, to make it easier to load bikes and quads.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #18

I tested the new springs over the last two days, and hauled three yards of drainage rock (one at a time). I took a measurement at the rear wheel well loaded (32 3/8") and unloaded (35 3/4"), and I took a pic of the truck with 1500lbs of drainage rock in it. It sits quite level with that load, so as long as it is similar with my trailer attached, I'm happy.

Fender Loaded.jpg

Fender Unloaded.jpg

Scoop of Drain Rock.jpg

Old 04-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I failed to mention that my good friend and fellow forum member AtomicWedgie spent a Saturday with me, helping me remove my old springs and install the new (to me) ones.

On our next shop day, we intend to install lowering shackles on his '97 F-150, to make it easier to load bikes and quads.
Here's the link to that project:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...d=1#post183293

Old 04-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #20

I had the truck and trailer out on the weekend, at the amazing Deception Pass area in WA State. This is a shot of the trailer connected to the truck with the new 2500HD springs; I'm very happy with how it sits.

Trailer Connected.jpg

Old 04-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #21

That's nice and level.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #22

Very nice.

Did you wet up the streets so you could do some doughnuts and drifting?

/

Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
That's nice and level.
I agree; it's much better. I needed to crank up the weight distribution bars one link, and after that it towed very well.

I wish I had a "before" pic, because the trailer used to push the truck down rather hard.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Very nice.

Did you wet up the streets so you could do some doughnuts and drifting?

/
Yes! Too bad I didn't get any video.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #25

I found a decent aluminum tool box on CL, and it's what I was looking for. I have a plan in mind for a simple headache rack, and the style of toolbox that fits on the bedside doesn't work with my plan.

The previous owner listed it for free, but I insisted on at least bringing him some beer. He was quite pleased with that suggestion, and he requested Parallel 49's Jerkface 9000: http://parallel49brewing.com/beers/

This box has two latches, and either one will open the lid, so it's easy to do from either side of the box.

Toolbox.jpg

The PO didn't have a key, so I removed the lock and re-keyed it to a key I had laying around. The tumbler action wasn't as smooth as I would like after I finished, so I found another cylinder that is too long.

Lock comparison.jpg

There is a little latitude in terms of how much longer the cylinder can be, and I settled on 3/8" of space. I found some stainless tubing laying around that was 3/4" ID, which is perfect for the OD of the cylinder threads. I hastily chopped 3/4" off of the tube and installed the cylinder in the box. It sticks out a bit, but it doesn't bug me.

Installed Lock.jpg

The next two shots show the latch locked and unlocked. It'll keep an honest thief out.

Locked.jpg

Unlocked.jpg

Old 05-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #26

As always, that is a creative solution, and a nice job.

I guess an 'honest thief' is an 'opportunistic thief,' who doesn't want to work very hard to steal.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #27

Thanks. I'm realistic about how secure a lock like that is, but I know there will be times when I'm glad it's there.

For the most part, I'll probably only use that toolbox for stuff for the truck and firewood when we're camping.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #28

I have two trucks identical to yours right down to the colour ,but mine are 2001 models .This week I am picking up another one with only 60,000 km ,except its silver .I have had great service from both of mine ,unfortunately I no longer trust them to go out of town and I don't feel they are worth putting the work in to make them trustworthy again so I am going to move on .Is there anything you might want or need that I may have ?I will be scrapping my two trucks in the next week or so and would be happy to send you anything I might have .

Old 05-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #29

That's very kind of you, Bruce!

Do you have a decent rear bumper? I could also use either one rim to match mine, or four new rims that are straight. If they were alloy, that would be a bonus, but not necessary.

Do you have cruise control on either truck? I don't, so I'd need the cruise actuator and the multifunction switch (which not only controls cruise, but also wipers and signals).

Old 05-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #30

Both my rear bumpers are rotten to some degree ,one has holes big enough you can put your hand through it .Neither truck has cruise .I have identical wheels on all three trucks ,no problem sending you a wheel or however many you might want .Do you want tires on them ?that will add to the shipping which will already be fairly expensive (I am in Ontario after all ) .I am fairly certain Greyhound would take them .My tires are all 245/16's