Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #16

hopefully i can get into it today after work it depends on if i skip some yard work. at least tomorrow and i will try to remember and take some pics. thanks for the offer weld i will see how long they are.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I had the lining separate from a shoe on my virago. Lock the rear tire up making a left turn at busy intersection. 8O I had noticed some stickiness prior to that.
Thanks for sharing that, Kato. 8O That never occurred to me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonsgccc
hopefully i can get into it today after work it depends on if i skip some yard work. at least tomorrow and i will try to remember and take some pics. thanks for the offer weld i will see how long they are.
You're welcome. Honda stuff is so prevalent in the China bike world, that I wouldn't be surprised to find a match with an XR200. I've noticed that Honda is really good at using the same part number across multiple platforms, so parts are very plentiful.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
I had the lining separate from a shoe on my virago. Lock the rear tire up making a left turn at busy intersection. 8O I had noticed some stickiness prior to that.
Thanks for sharing that, Kato. 8O That never occurred to me.
I think the broken spring is more likely.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #20

David's brake symptom, "popping on takeoff," is a bit vaque. Whenever you have any problems with the brakes, you need to pull them apart and inspect them immediately. The stock, rear brake on my Zong was catching occasionally, and engaging in a peculiar manner. When I removed the rear brake assembly I discovered a broken spring. 8O Needless to say, the brake shoes will shift it they are held with only one spring. :roll:

I actually waited to long to inspect the brake assembly, but I was still learning how to maintain motorcycles at that time. :roll: That brake spring failed pretty early in the life of my Zong, maybe around 10,000 miles on the odometer. Those brake springs are very strong, but they are subjected to a lot of force; therefore, they will break. 8O

Now I inspect every component of any wheel I remove for any reason. Needless to say, the brake shoes, brake pads, and brake rotors receive a good inspection every time I remove any wheel. :idea:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Even if you can't do the inspection today, I encourage you to examine the rear brake before you do any more riding, Sean (Shawn). Please do take some photographs; they will be an excellent addition to this thread, which already been added to the Zong Sticky.

If you have any significant problems with your rear brake assembly, please let us know. I have a brand new, Zongshen, rear brake assembly for sale, complete with all components, including brake shoes and brake springs.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #22

Spud must check weekly then. That is how long his tires last.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Spud must check weekly then. That is how long his tires last.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #24

i know this sounds bad but i have been riding every day for few weeks. had to do yard work yesterday but im going to visit my parents today and my dad has a great garage so hopefully i will get into it there.

the idea of the brakes locking is awful scary though.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #25

Are you riding to your parents or trailering the bike? If you're riding, bring some tools along (don't know how far the journey is).

10 years ago, a friend of mine bought an old Pontiac, and he was complaining that the brakes didn't feel right, so he asked for my help. We pulled the rear drum on the passenger side, and there was no shoe material left at all. That was the good side.

The driver's side had worn so badly that the adjuster assembly fell out of the space between the shoes, and the edge of the fork got caught betweent the shoe and the drum. The fork was ground to a very sharp point.

What's worse is that there was a fuel leak, directly over the rear drum. The recipe would have been disastrous, had we not pulled it apart. 8O

Old 05-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #26

Quote:
i know this sounds bad but i have been riding every day for few weeks. had to do yard work yesterday but im going to visit my parents today and my dad has a great garage so hopefully i will get into it there.

the idea of the brakes locking is awful scary though.
A broken spring won't cause the rear brake shoes to lock. However, I think it's wise to discover the problem as quickly as possible.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #27

One of our newest forum members, Obso, posted a link to an eBay vendor selling the correct brake shoes for the Zongshen 200GY-2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310395965606...#ht_843wt_1108

Based upon my research, and my examination of the stock, Zongshen brake shoes, the SOK 204 brake shoes should also fit the Zongshen 200GY-2. Thanks for providing the great link, Obso!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #28

well i was able to check out my rear brakes today and they looked really good still nothing broken. upon futher inspection 1 of my rear wheel bearings was coming apart and some of the bearings were touching it appears the retainer on the inside of the bearing has come out. this is the only thing i could find so it has to be my popping noise when taking off in the mornings. i greased it and put it back together and it only made the sound once since then so im going to order some bearings pronto.

i hav taken some pictures but my works fire wall wont let me upload from phone to photo bucket. i will try again but for now no photos sorry.

thanks for everones input. now to find the bearings.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #29

Did you note the numbers on the bearings? If so, any local bearing shop can supply them for you for a reasonable price. Glad to hear that your bbrakes aren't coming apart.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #30

well the zongshen sticky that spud built has the bearing numbers and references to where to find them. i may look at the local bearing vendors to see what they offer. currently i have found the front and rear bearings for 22.69 plus shipping of 6.09 that is a pretty good price but if the local shop if it is close in price i will probably go with them just to support my community and avoid the wait.

i just want to say thanks to spud for putting together such a priceless resource. :P
im sure many chinabike owners have felt in the dark when it comes to knowledge and parts resources zongshen or any chinabike builder for that matter could greatly improve their customer relations and sales if they had someone like spud working for them.

thanks again