Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2016, 10:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Great news !
X2; I'm glad you got the engine installed, and running.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #47

Bike still shifts like shit and in 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #48

We've got near to 1000 miles on ours now. It has noticeably better shifting than when it was new. Want to come ride it to compare?

Dave aka Ghan

Old 06-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #49

i switched to full synthetic 20/50 and mine shifts really smooth

Old 06-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
Bike still shifts like shit and in 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th.
I hate to hear that CS ....

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
i switched to full synthetic 20/50 and mine shifts really smooth
Ronb. At what miles and to what brand of oil did you switch to?

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Ronb. At what miles and to what brand of oil did you switch to?
PM,d

Old 06-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #53

My shifting became really notchy probably after around 1300 mi., and it's been like that since. You really have to push the shifter to get a full gear change :/

Old 06-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #54

I agree with RonB. When I switched to synthetic oil, my shifting became much smoother and I was able to find neutral much more easily.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #55

Figured I should ride this bike some more. Just took it out to run some errands. 4th-5th gear shifting has seemed to smooth out a bit. 5th-6th is still 2 positive clicks into gear.

Now bike also shows Neutral on the dash but it still in gear. Luckily the bike has no torque or I may have dropped it. Just stalled. Only did that once.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #56

Quote:
Figured I should ride this bike some more. Just took it out to run some errands. 4th-5th gear shifting has seemed to smooth out a bit. 5th-6th is still 2 positive clicks into gear.

Now bike also shows Neutral on the dash but it still in gear. Luckily the bike has no torque or I may have dropped it. Just stalled. Only did that once.
Gotta grind those gears a little, teach em whose boss. Tomorrow's Saturday morning, go put on your 200.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #57

CSaddict, I rode mine about 655 miles this past weekend in Hell's Canyon area and was thinking about you and your tranny problems. I notice sometimes mine would have 2 clicks to get it from one gear to the other upshifting. How much I felt it depended on engine RPM's. Lower RPM felt it more, higher RPM shifted smoother. I'm no Einstein but I believe what you and I are feeling is the 2 things happening when shifting gears. Your taking it out of one gear and putting it into another gear and the gears need to mesh to go in or go out from one gear to another. It is no where near as smooth as my Honda NC700x when shifting.
My bike has close to 9000 miles on it. So I would just encourage you to ride it and let things break in good and it will probably be OK. I've tried to just accept the bike for what it is and leave my preconceived ideas and prior experience of other bikes out of it. And it has been a fun bike to own for me.
I also have the neutral light come on and it still in gear sometimes. I think there is some drag on the system causing these symptoms. If I try to start it in gear with clutch pulled in, the bike wants to crawl forward like I'm not pulling clutch in enough. I have it adjusted up so there is not much play in the cable. I think this is causing the hard to find neutral and staying in gear when the neutral light is on ????? rj

Old 06-17-2016, 11:17 PM   #58

The neutral thing is new. Finding neutral is easy actually. I'm not sure how much I'll ride it. I've been back on my SV and I bought a titled XR650R. The RX3 is nice to go to the store on. That's about it. I put the 13t sprocket on but it's so buzzy I'm going to go back to the 14t. Since I bought the BRP, I'm not going to bother trying the RX3 in any dirt situations. Frankly, I'm really disappointed. I may measure it up and see if I can fit a japanese motor in it. I like the chassis. It fits me well.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #59

Quote:
The neutral thing is new. Finding neutral is easy actually. I'm not sure how much I'll ride it. I've been back on my SV and I bought a titled XR650R. The RX3 is nice to go to the store on. That's about it. I put the 13t sprocket on but it's so buzzy I'm going to go back to the 14t. Since I bought the BRP, I'm not going to bother trying the RX3 in any dirt situations. Frankly, I'm really disappointed. I may measure it up and see if I can fit a japanese motor in it. I like the chassis. It fits me well.
99% of new owners appear to be happy with this bike.
I find this bike to have low vibration compared to other thumpers I have owned.

I suspect your shifting problems may cure themselves after your shift shaft breaks in and if you will tighten the shift shaft bolt to almost extreme because it
Seems if you don't it does become loose on the shaft.

I went as far to insert a longer bolt and then installed a nut so I could tighten
From both sides to insure a good crimp around the spline.

As far as not trying this off-road and just going to the store...just remember this is an adventure touring dirt bike and not an XR.
Mild off-road capability coupled with excellent comfort and ergos and touring(sans interstates)on a sub 400lb.
bike that is what this bike is about and why it is so cool.

As far as installing a jap engine in this chassis...that's silly.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #60

I completely understand the bike's function and capabilities. I rode it this morning for a while. About 50 miles. I put bar risers on which I like better. Shifting was still hit and miss as far as the 2 noticeable clicks. I'm going to call CSC on Tuesday and see what they found with the old motor. I also think your 99% percent number is silly considering the total amount of machines sold is still a mystery and I have seen several sold with low mileage and several others eat motors. I'm glad yours is working out for you.