Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2023, 05:12 AM   #1

Clutch Conversion Time = Hydro Mod

Ok time for another RX4 project.

The clutch as we all know has the release grace of a hippo in a phone booth, off road, IT SUCKS!

So, going to retro a hydraulic clutch system to see how that works.

I know there's pros and cons to cable Vs. Hydro... But just about every top ADV uses hydro...

So we'll see...

Oh and the last MOD... the TFT conversion... worked great =)

Old 05-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #2

I'm going to convert to hydraulic clutch on my '20 Hawk as well. Not that the cable clutch is bad, or hard to pull.

Old 05-27-2023, 11:24 AM   #3

Please post lots of details about your progress. If nothing less, hydro clutch action eliminates the possibility of a broken clutch cable as well as the friction associated with the cable.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:20 AM   #4

I have all the parts but the slave cylinder, it will be here monday. We just did some off road work yesterday..... If the hyro conversion doesn't cure it, i think the RX4 will be going buy buy..

Old 05-28-2023, 11:45 AM   #5

I have been full hydro clutch on my roketa for years now.... my bike sits out in the elements and i lost 3 cables to rust in 3 years... dont have that issue with hydro....

Old 05-29-2023, 10:59 PM   #6

Rider, i will say this, my Rx4 clutch is very Yamazuki aka Kawonda, feels like any of my Japanese or Italian bikes. Feathers beautifully and unlike the reported issues in revzilla himalayan vs rx4 video

What several of us have found is 1. Switch to NGK or Denso plug if u r still running the oem Torch 2. If yours is a 2019/20 model either flash your ecu or get an ecu with revised tune. See advrider rx4 thread from March until today. The difference is real.
Anyway, just trying to help, and will note your hydro clutch results.
( I have seen RX3 with this mod. I have the OTOM cable bracket on my RX3, with the extended shift shaft lever.)

Last edited by outboardr; 05-29-2023 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old 07-30-2023, 02:17 PM   #7

I like the clutch feel of my RX4. I keep the cable lubricated and adjusted. I have the original clutch at 26k miles. I've had bikes with hydraulic clutches and I prefer the simplicity of a cable as long as the pull isn't hard.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” -Harlan Ellison-

“The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”
― Ronald Reagan-