Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2022, 11:04 PM   #1

I finally got the RX4 how I like it !

Well, I finally got the RX4 how I like it, BUT I am going to try and sell it instead of riding it..... it's just too darn heavy for this old man I need a lighter bike !
so I'm selling my 2021 CSC RX4 , it has 205 miles on it. it's blue, and has all the goodies that came stock with it plus many extras like crash pan, hand guards, and new wide foot pegs, and a new rear suspension spring for a softer ride. I have lowered the bike 2" in the front and 2" in the rear and with my 30" inseam I can flat foot it with both feet at the same time while on it !
( that was hard to obtain !) I've also richened up the ECU a bit so it has quite a bit more power, there is no problem at accelerating at 70mph now... before it was slow.... it's not now.
I paid over $5600 for it will sell it for $4000. and I am firm on that price
as it is NEW with only 205 miles on the odometer
PM me if your interested or comment if you care to.<Grin>
Bob......

Old 11-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #2

You might try giving CSC a call and see about swapping your RX4 in on a SG400; it's definitely small enough for you and light enough, with about the same HP as the RX4, but with a different character and powerband due to it being a parallel twin configuration. It doesn't have any cargo carrying capacity, apart from what you can strap to the back seat behind you, but otherwise it will pretty much handle anything that you throw at it - check out ChopperCharles' ride report on his last year over on ADVRider:

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/c...briel.1516697/

Old 11-09-2022, 12:18 PM   #3

Well, that's not the kind of bike I want actually.... that's a street bike... I want a dual sport
something around the 250lb area up to 300lbs... but no heavier than that
and the DR650 or XR650L fit that description.....the only problem with either of those is the super high seat height... at 34" I can't even set on one and touch the ground....yet alone do any manovering in the rough like go over logs with it. so I would have to lower either of those a real long way.....
I had a XR650L a long while back that melted in a house fire that I had lowered by making a new longer lower link... but i have to admit it looked silly but I could ride it with no problem after lowering it... and it was an exceptionally tame bike...that could, if
pushed, do highway speeds.... Another problem with either 650 single is the ridiculously small gas tank but that can be swapped out for a larger one no doubt.
....but I really want something that will Wheelie at the twist of the throttle... that is really what I want, something that is fun to play with ! and I know how to fix a DR650
to do that... but I have not seen how to do that with an XR650L so because of that I am leaning toward the DR650....
CSC told me they could take the bike on consinement and they would sell it for $3500
even if it only has 205 miles on it..... it's like that is their set price so dealing with them is pirty much out ! Paying $5600 for the machine I don't want to take that big of a Hit
on it just to get another bike... I'll sell it for $4000 but not a dime less I've had a few guys inquire about it but nothing serious yet....
if it doesn't sell I guess I'll keep it and ride "Miss Piggy" anyway ! LOL
Bob......

Old 11-09-2022, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kelly View Post
Well, that's not the kind of bike I want actually.... that's a street bike... I want a dual sport
something around the 250lb area up to 300lbs... but no heavier than that
and the DR650 or XR650L fit that description.....the only problem with either of those is the super high seat height... at 34" I can't even set on one and touch the ground....yet alone do any manovering in the rough like go over logs with it. so I would have to lower either of those a real long way.....
I had a XR650L a long while back that melted in a house fire that I had lowered by making a new longer lower link... but i have to admit it looked silly but I could ride it with no problem after lowering it... and it was an exceptionally tame bike...that could, if
pushed, do highway speeds.... Another problem with either 650 single is the ridiculously small gas tank but that can be swapped out for a larger one no doubt.
....but I really want something that will Wheelie at the twist of the throttle... that is really what I want, something that is fun to play with ! and I know how to fix a DR650
to do that... but I have not seen how to do that with an XR650L so because of that I am leaning toward the DR650....
CSC told me they could take the bike on consinement and they would sell it for $3500
even if it only has 205 miles on it..... it's like that is their set price so dealing with them is pirty much out ! Paying $5600 for the machine I don't want to take that big of a Hit
on it just to get another bike... I'll sell it for $4000 but not a dime less I've had a few guys inquire about it but nothing serious yet....
if it doesn't sell I guess I'll keep it and ride "Miss Piggy" anyway ! LOL
Bob......
Unfortunately, motorcycles are like boats, money pits and major money losers for the most part. I don't know anybody who makes any money on selling a used bike, unless they picked it up for a steal originally. Hopefully yours sells soon.

Regarding the San Gabriel, I felt the same way about the SG400, but was pleasantly surprised by the bike, despite it not being my regular cup of tea. I'm not really into cafe style UJM bikes, but the SG400 impresses with its engine character and low weight and seat height. You're not going to be hopping any logs with it, but a set of Shinko 705's, similar in tread pattern to the RX4's stock CST's, plus a set of TEC Alloy Remote Reservoir Shocks should allow it to do gravel and fire roads with out issue. If you really want a dual sport that fits you, a Yamaha TW200 might be the ticket, though it will be down on the power that you want. The two bikes that you mentioned are both too tall and too heavy to meet your criteria, coming in at 350 lbs plus with high seats, as you noted. You might consider a DR-Z400S; at 317 lbs the weight is close to what you are looking for, but the seat is still high. However, it should be sprung softly, so you should get quite a bit of suspension sag when you sit on it that will bring it down closer to what you are looking for. Anyway, some food for thought.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:30 AM   #5

You have good points there ! yes the DR650 and XR650L are quite heavy in them selves.
.... in the Past I had modified a twin cylinder street bike and frequently took it down dirt roads... and it was quite capable but it is not the same as a super light 150~185lb bike in the rough.... I'ed even consider something smaller than a 250cc actually because of the weight issue.... being able to drag the bike up out of a creek in the back of beyond is very handy.... and they do not tire you out near as fast as a heavy bike will....
My 2nd bike was a Honda 90cc and I rode that little thing all through high school to and from classes and for just riding around... it really is surprising how well only 9hp will get a person around !
Yes the TW200 is a good one no doubt about that !also the XT250 Yamaha but both of these bikes are hard to get ahold of !...like the DR650 !
...to me a bike needs 3 things to be viable for every day use besides license, it needs to be capable of freeway speeds , and that is 70~80 mph , it needs to be as light as possible, and for me to be able to touch both feet flat on the ground when sitting on it.
and there is not a single bike on the plannet that is new that fit that criteria. you can find them to fit 2 but not 3 the RX4 is the closest I found to the list but it is much heavier than I thought 455 lbs would be. it has a high center of gravity... not like my 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc at all.... and it is heavier than the Triumph by 25~30 lbs
which surprised me. so for a street bike it's not bad, but it's not a trail bike by any means for me.... even lowered. so downsizing seams to be the only option.
and I could live with going slower than freeway speeds... just stay off the freeway !
if you don't keep up with traffic on the freeway you will be hit from the rear.... I've seen that happen many times !
gearing can be changed to make 70mph possible on a 250cc or 175cc but smaller than that is really not possible ( within reason)
And a word of warning when you adjust the preload on a CSC bike like the RX4 to get the seat height down and make it softer you will bottom out the shock I KNOW I DID that.... the RX4 has an extremally short stroke shock on it something like 2.25"
so I would be real cautious with the preload on a CSC 400. I had to MAKE a lower link for the RX4 to get it low enough for me... which I found very disturbing ... if it had had a regular shock in the rear that would not have been nessary. I've lowered every bike I've owned and I have always just adjusted the rear preload... but the RX4 and XR650L
were the only 2 I had to make lower links that were longer to lower it !
....LOL the XR650L had about 6" of ground clearance when I was done with it if you can picture that in your head.... it looked weird but rode quite nice !
If the Truth were told I guess I should give up riding motorcycles as I am getting too old for that stuff but I think I will ride them till the day I die as I love bikes !
maybe I'll get a Honda Monkey and just putt around on that..... LOL
if 2 strokes were available now I would have already gotten a 2 stroke 175 or 250
and be done trying to find one.... a 250 suzuki trials bike is the funnest machine I have ever ridden in the dirt.... they are a Kick ! .... I had one for years and loved it !
( it also melted in the Ranch fire) that ability to get the front wheel up at the twist of the throttle is a blast.... they can't be license or travel at speeds over 50 mph but they go slow the best of all bikes !
Bob.....

Old 02-07-2023, 08:36 PM   #6

I went out the other day to start the RX4 and the battery lit up the LCD dash fine but when I hit the starter it killed everything ... so I pulled the battery and put it on the charger 10 amps for about 30 min. and then 2 amps for 3 days ....
I finally got back out there today and put the battery back in and hit the starter and it fired right up ...after setting for 3 months straight
....I let it run for quite a while ...it had reached operating tempiture and I saw the radiator fan kick on and off like it should....
so soon as my liscnses get here for it, I will take it out for a ride....
the thing started real easy... like normal "errr vroom !" if you know what I mean... I was impressed as if it were a carbureted unit it would have had to turn over a dozen times to get going.... but not this thing ...it fired right up !
I guess that Stabul-360 works darn good !
Bob.......

Old 02-07-2023, 09:21 PM   #7

She lit right off!
How cold is it down there?

Old 03-01-2023, 06:54 PM   #8

Sorry Outboardr this site did not notify me of a responce....
it was about 20 deg. if I remember right... maybe colder like mid teens but around that area....
I charged the battery and have had no trouble sense.... kind'a weird actually.... like maybe the brake light stuck on and killed the battery I dunno !

Anyway I sold the RX4 to Eric in Anderson, CA. he came up this morning and took a look and bought it ! he's quite happy !
and so am I actually although I did not get $1600.00 of riding out of it sense I bought it
I did recover a fair chunk of it anyway of $4000.00 yah I paid $5600.00 for it plus the $200.00 DMV tags adding all the other goodies on it I am sure I had over $6000.00 in it...
I came back in the house and my Kid handed me the paper work on the TT250 and said here Dad you still have a bike to ride you can have the TT250 ! LOL
I had to laugh but I said No the TT250 is yours not mine...but I will ride it sense your not riding it ! LOL
so I guess I don't have to run out and buy another bike if I want to go putt putt around !
Bob......

Old 03-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #9

That's great you found a home for your RX4.
On the facebook group there are 3 other blue 2021 for sale, it's all the blue ones for sale!

Are you going to ride the TT250 while shopping for another bike or?
I like my RX4, rode it last night, but on backroads the light weight of the RX3 sure is a ball.

Old 03-02-2023, 03:34 PM   #10

interesting that people post RX4s for sale in the RX4 group. Those that join probably already have one. hmmmmm

Old 03-03-2023, 11:54 AM   #11

There are window shoppers looking to find more info about China bikes in general and RX4 in particular. Going to the RX4 forum is likely to highlight any and every shortcoming of the bike since people are quick to complain. It's also probably a better way to find a bike for sale, fewer scammers, than Craigs List or cycle trader.

Peter Y.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:47 AM   #12

Well, there is also the aspect that the bike was not good enough to keep in my opinion
although I loved the bike it was just too heavy for me I never expected that thing to feel that heavy but it feels like an 800 lb bike ! the weight is very high even after I lowered it!
I also sold the 4x4 Honda forman quad I had I only got 3500 for it which was horrable
but I had no paperwork on it.
.... in doing that I talked to a guy that had a XR650L that he wanted to trade for it
but a guy showed up and bought it and I actually thought it was him as he was a local fella... but he said no it wasn't him....
so I emailed the guy with the XR650L and told him it was sold and asked him if he wanted to sell the bike to me and he jumped at the chance I asked him how much he wanted and he said $1500 and I said I'll take it sight unseen for that and with the snow on the ground it might be a week before I can get there.... 3 days later he showed up with it to my door and I paid him $1600 for it I was going to give him $1700 because he delevered it but he insisted on only $1600.....
so far I have sunk $450.00 on it getting it up to snuff and I am really tickled about it
it's a 2001 year model and only has 6500 miles on it and is in real good shape....
it does need a new front tire and a rack for the back but I put hand guards on it mirrors
and wide foot pegs....and I am thinking about a Vapor dash so I'll have a tachometer...
I've also put a 13T front wider sprocket on it and have yet to ride it as it's been too cold!.... I've lowered it 2" and cut down the side-stand already
I just don't think 2" is going to be enough for that 37" seat height though ....
today I cut down the seat a long way so we'll see what that does I could touch with the balls of my feet before cutting down the seat so that may have helped alot.
I still need to drop the front forks to match the rear for handling
but I'm really happy I am hoping I can wheelie by blipping the throttle ! as that is always a thing that makes a bike fun !
Bob.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XR650L almost ready01.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	28859   Click image for larger version

Name:	XR650L Mods01.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	28861  

Old 03-24-2023, 09:38 AM   #13

That XL650 is fantastic! Nice score You will benefit from the wide array of bespoke accessories that will fit, no question.

"Adventure Sport" is really a category of road bike (for most people). If you are tall, fit, strong AND agile, you may get away with more aggressive off road use, but most people just fall over, and struggle to right the thing

This results in damage to the bike and sometimes personal injury too!

But the adventure tour bike LOOKS awesome! In all fairness, it is great for long touring trips, mostly on pavement. These bikes take their owners "off the beaten path" all over the world (but mostly on pavement!!!). The combination of tall and heavy challenges even skilled riders!!

Old 03-24-2023, 09:54 AM   #14

Thats why i'm looking at a Fazer 9 or similar to complement the Templar X.. heavy ADV bike is just asking for trouble offroad

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-25-2023, 12:37 AM   #15

Wow Bob, what a turn of events, and now you have a bike with 37" seat height? Holy smokes!! You'll be busy lowering. I see a Supertrapp exhaust, how does it sound? Is it quiet or loud?
THat's one thing about my RX3 and RX4, I want to reduce the exhaust noise. I noticed on the RX3S they have a 90 degree tube on the exit, and I put a 90 degree conduit up to my RX3 the other day and it does make a difference.

Anyway, looks like you got yourself a nice big thumper to play with. I bet that puppy has some torque.