Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2022, 06:24 PM   #16

Lucas has posted some stuff on making some changes to his ECU and I think he also had an RX4 but he did this using ECU hacker which can handle the Delphi ECU's but unfortunately not the Lifan ECU's. If you look for ECU hacker it gives you all the information on the parts you need. I picked up a VAG KKL adaptor with aUSB plug on the other end from Amazon for about $14 if I remember correctly. So you plug the adapter you have into the Vag KKL which goes into your laptop computer and the other side of your adapter into your bikes ECU diagnostic 6 pin plug. and with ECU Hacker installed you can start to play.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:28 AM   #17

Thanks JFOlivier ! I'll look for ECU Hacker !
Bob

Old 07-11-2022, 07:40 AM   #18

that was weird..... but I did get HUD ECU HACKER.EXE !!!!! it's what he calls Charity ware
meaning if you find it useful pay him something ! which is reasonable !
here is a link.... the download is way down at the bottom
https://www.netcult.ch/elmue/HUD%20ECU%20Hacker/
I finally managed it install it on this computer but that does me no good at all as this is a big stationary desktop computer !
looking at it I get the feeling I am way out of my legue ! but I have it showing no data as of yet.... I got it for the MT05 unit not sure if that is the correct one but I think so
and you can switch to other units by the drop down menu
it popped up a message and asked if I wanted to install the USB thing but I just closed the window.... the OBD2 unit I have is Wifi so I shouldn't need that, and of course it is not active till it is in use....
.... I should probably try to diagnose the '98 Honda CRV first as it should be easier to mess with and have more data on it .... but that probably won't work with the delfi-MTO5 setup I have loaded at the moment....
but I did get HUD ECU HACKER !!!! that is a mile stone on my end.... I had to read about 30 pages of stuff to finally get to the bottom where there is a download button
which is totally strange. but what ever !
I just searched for HUD ECU HACKER PROGRAM and it pointed me to some unrelated site but it turned out to be the right one ! (thank god for smart search engines eh ? ) LOL
in all the reading I did see the injector that is on the bike, so that is encouraging.
it seems he was battling a Brunelle or something like that...
and that there are files available, binary files that you can down load to flash the ECU
I did NOT see the RX4 in that list, but it did have the RX3.
alot of the reading was about the connectors and stuff, seems he has left no stone unturned in his quest to make ECU Hacker.... he even covers F.I. Brigs and Stratton engines.... ( i didn't even know B&S made a F.I. Motor ! LOL)
it is very obvious to me that you have to be real real careful when messing with the ECU
as the info you get is very criptic and you cannot/dare not change anything you don't know about ...you have to be positive !
which is very hard to do when the info you get is 3 letters long and a value
a road map would really be helpful.... back in my day in programming I used a book with every command listed for the language it looks like that is something we will need for hacking the ECU ! a road map of what letters mean what and what their stock value is..... ( but I suppose that could be saved into a file and read later...)
now I gott'a see if I can get the laptop from my kid and install HUD ECU Hacker on it
and take it to the bike and see if I can get the thing to give me some numbers ! LOL
at this point I just want to see it work and I don't want to hurt it !
and he said in several places it won't work unless you add power and a ground and stuff like that.... and I don't want to do that at all....but in all I have no idea what he was refuring to or why ..... it's all a blur and didn't make a whole lot of sense.
this modern technology is strange to this old ranch mechanic ! HAHAHAHAH

Bob.....

Old 07-11-2022, 08:15 AM   #19

Well, this is a good discovery.... I was playing with HUD ECU HACKER and found a list of what those 3 letters mean ! in the Data sheet ( a button on the control panel)
and found that I could play some files to see what it is supposed to look like which is cool !
this looks like a very robust program indeed but I do not know what you can change and what you cannot change yet....
I did see " Idle target spd" I hope you can change that because my bike is idling too fast for my liking it's close or over 2k RPM and I'ed like it more around 800RPM
VERY interesting indeed !
Bob.....

Old 07-11-2022, 08:25 AM   #20

The whole description of using this program is on this forum part of the operation is described by me, because I was the only one who changed the injection map look for and you will find and use only opentactix no obd will not work, because it is not original, and even if there was an original obd, you still will not change, before the map map costs 30 euros good luck. And I do not recommend contacting the creator of the program, because he is a German, that is, a Nazi, and any discussion with him is a waste of time he was able to insult even the people from Italy creating my injection map, while admitting that he does not know what tuning the map is about, but you know, that the Germans are morons and the war in Ukraine is their fault they could already graciously die pity that the bomb that was originally prepared by fall on Germany fell on Japan, but nothing lost maybe some bomb will still fall there before Germany crashes Europe greetings.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kelly View Post
Well, this is a good discovery.... I was playing with HUD ECU HACKER and found a list of what those 3 letters mean ! in the Data sheet ( a button on the control panel)
and found that I could play some files to see what it is supposed to look like which is cool !
this looks like a very robust program indeed but I do not know what you can change and what you cannot change yet....
I did see " Idle target spd" I hope you can change that because my bike is idling too fast for my liking it's close or over 2k RPM and I'ed like it more around 800RPM
VERY interesting indeed !
Bob.....

The minimum idle is 1500 RPM factory idle is 1700 RPM below these values may start to shake the engine, because it is the 4th stroke which will cause the timing chain to jump the rest you can figure out.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:46 AM   #22

Hi Bob, let the engine idle at 1700 rpm. The factory set the idle there for a reason, probably to maintain oil pressure to the main bearings and rod bearings. When you dig into the ECU Hacker program your first step should be to save your existing ECU map so you always have that to fall back on. You are going to find that making changes to the map gets pretty complicated since there are numerous sensors making constant adjustments to the base map. Most tuners use a dyno so they can see how their changes work out across the rpm and load range. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2022, 01:24 PM   #23

Wow Lucas ! not all Germans are bad ! LOL
.... I got thinking about this Wifi OBD2 reader I got.... i don't think it is going to help at all
and I think that is what you just said ! LOL....
so I need one more cable then from the connector to USB so I can plug it in to the laptop
.... I'm slowly getting there !
1700 RPM for the idle seems like alot to me but like you say Pyoungbl....they did that for a reason.....
.... My Triumph idles at 500~800 RPM but it's not fuel injected either !
so.....one more cable to connect to the other cable and I'm in !
YES saving a copy is a first and formost thing to do because You know I will screw it up ! LOL
Lucas,.... let me see if I understand this right.... you paid $30 bucks for the already set up and tuned file from the Italian guys ? and then just flashed it onto your ECU and called it a day ? that sounds mighty convenient ! hehehehe !
was there much of a change on how the bike preformed afterward ?
Bob........

Old 07-11-2022, 02:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Wow Lucas ! not all Germans are bad ! LOL
.... I got thinking about this Wifi OBD2 reader I got.... i don't think it is going to help at all
and I think that is what you just said ! LOL....
so I need one more cable then from the connector to USB so I can plug it in to the laptop
.... I'm slowly getting there !
1700 RPM for the idle seems like alot to me but like you say Pyoungbl....they did that for a reason.....
.... My Triumph idles at 500~800 RPM but it's not fuel injected either !
so.....one more cable to connect to the other cable and I'm in !
YES saving a copy is a first and formost thing to do because You know I will screw it up ! LOL
Lucas,.... let me see if I understand this right.... you paid $30 bucks for the already set up and tuned file from the Italian guys ? and then just flashed it onto your ECU and called it a day ? that sounds mighty convenient ! hehehehe !
Bob........

Yes, you understood right $30 a long time ago I bought a gopro as I will have a moment to record how the motorcycle goes on such a map I saw a video of Charlie on youtube and he had a problem with going up the hill maybe such a map would be a solution for him.The change is that I rarely go above 6000rpm because it has power from below and so it smokes less and does less motoring hours

Old 07-11-2022, 04:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Bob........
Careful Bob, Lukas also has a big bore kit installed on his bike, if I recall correctly. You definitely do not want to flash a map for a modified RX3 onto the RX4's ECU.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
Careful Bob, Lukas also has a big bore kit installed on his bike, if I recall correctly. You definitely do not want to flash a map for a modified RX3 onto the RX4's ECU.

Big bore kit is a different matter because it was installed some time after the map change, but the map was originally changed to 249 capacity and the motorcycle has a fairly straight torque curve, which in the original map because of exhaust standards is very limited and the power was only between 6,000 RPM and 8,000 RPM which reduced the driving dynamics and that is one fact. and the second fact is that if Bob wanted to change the map so that the power was distributed as much as possible over the entire rpm range, he would still have to download his own map and send it because it contains a different algorithm, and this is also what I wrote in the posts and it has nothing to do with the fact that Bob can download the map and send it and not give a shit about exhaust standards.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:48 AM   #27

Humm Interesting indeed ! I seriously doubt I will be sending my map to anyone to have them tweek it for me but that IS an option....
I mean I haven't even got to the point of seeing the information on the computer screen
from my bike yet.... but I am getting closer !
I expect I will tweek a few things like "Idle target" which on my bike it's idling at just over 2000 RPM... but so many things inneract in that list that it is really hard to say which one does what.... but bringing it down a bit to under 2K RPM wouldn't hurt a thing.... is that nessissary ? no, is it vital , No way.... but to me it is anoying to have the idle so fast....
if I can ever get to the point to where I know what all those things do in that list I think that will be a big accomplishment ! .... having the plug burn a bit darker is one of my goals it makes me very uneasy to see a WHITE plug in use... Remember I came from a 2 stroke dirtbike background and you wouldn't even ride the bike if you found something like that ! ... yes 4 stroke bikes run leaner no doubt but that doesn't mean they have to run THAT lean... running that lean is hard on the parts in my view !!!!

if I could get ahold of a 650cc big bore kit for the RX4 I'ed be really tempted to buy it but 40hp is enough for this old man !!!! but I've not seen any big bore kits for the RX4 yet....

Bob......

Old 07-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #28

Ok I ordered my adapter cable...should be here in a few days (14th)
so I should have 2 bases covered , 1) i can use the WIFI unit and not be tethered to the bike ....and 2) the USB cable adaptor , I will be tethered to the bike but that should work as well....
and I have the HUD ECU Hacker that I could not find for love nor money anywhere but finally stumbled on it and got it installed with no problems.... getting it on the laptop may not be as easy as that but we shall see....
I am NOT familiar with the lap top at all, it's my Kids laptop but I will commandeer it for this work.... HEHEHEHE !
Bob.....

Old 07-12-2022, 02:56 PM   #29

Hey Bob, welcome to the 1940"s computer iliterates. Makes you want to tear your hair out, if you still have any left.
John

Old 07-12-2022, 03:56 PM   #30

Yah I hear ya ! I've been into computer programming in my younger days but I got left in the dust so fast it was scary ! i went from GWbasic to Borland C then to C++ but when they went to Object oriented programming they lost me... I could not follow their logic to save my soul so I gave up and let the Kid do it ! HAHAHAHHA
Back in the day I was selling a program I made on the internet when that stuff first started ... then Microsoft started giving away a program with windows 7 that was far better than mine ! I was out gunned and out paced in one move !
so I am not a total dummy when it comes to computers but the programs now that is another story completely !
I still have problems doing a search on google for something and my crummy spelling doesn't help that at all ! HAHAHAHA
but I know how to access the RS232 port on my old comodore 128 because I made a Morse code program for it and it worked fantastically i could even copy RTTY if I wanted
but now days everything goes through windows and you can't get by windows even if you wanted to ! so i have become a USER now..... that erks me to say that but it is true
.... and with this OBD2 stuff I am happy to follow other footsteps to get what I want ....now !
Most technology that has sprung up in the last 30 odd years is just a new way of doing something old school but when they change the hardware to match that new way you must evolve or leave it alone ! and I'm not ready to leave motorcycles alone even if they ARE Fuel injected ! ( it's like Why would you do that to a motorcycle People !?!?!)
and I wound up buying one.... WHY ? I'm still not 100% positive on that ! HA !
the thing is with these fuel injected bikes if you like the way it works your in like flynn
but if you don't there is only one way to change it..... LEARN the NEW STUFF !!!!
right now I'm just learning it so I know how to BEEF it UP in the future !
I've never seen a bike that you couldn't improve the performance on.... these F.I things just make it a bit more tricky is all !
Bob........