Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2021, 10:01 PM   #1

Must have for all owners (Diagnostic capability)

I keep having to recommend this in various places, so I will put everything here.

If you own a Chinese motorcycle with a delphi ECU, it is in your best interest to have the agility to at least pull codes, and monitor parameters when trying to trouble shoot problems. Really, it's helpful for any vehicle as a diagnostics fee might cost you 100USD. Links are just what I have, these parts can also be found on ebay etc.

The connector is for the Delphi 6 pin connector ECU (to interface a Delphi mt05.x ECU).

You will need the 6 pin cable to interface into the ECU, which has a female OBD2 connector on the other side. ~10USD

Name:  plug.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  16.7 KB

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...27424c4dr1OPeG

You will need an openport adapter. Genuine Tactrix or Chinese knockoff.
Genuine ~170USD new
Knock off ~30USD

- Ask around for knock off. I don't know of a good source, because I have a genuine (used it for tuning my car) but they cost about $30.

https://www.tactrix.com/index.php?op...ed=1&Itemid=53

Name:  Tactrix_Openport_4b4437551be29.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  44.8 KB

And last but not least, you will need ECU HUD Hacker which you can load onto a windows laptop (which can be had cheap on ebay if you don't have one). It is "sharityware", which means it's free to download but the author requests you donate to a GMO or something (this is a honor system, it requires no verification or anything). It is easy to use and can pull codes, clear codes (some codes, others require unplugging the ecu to clear). Also, you can use this to ECU tune as well.

https://netcult.ch/elmue/HUD%20ECU%20Hacker/

Last edited by Chris_Top_Her; 09-05-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:01 PM   #2

Save

Old 09-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #3

Thanks for this. I’ve been meaning to get around to getting one of three things for my evinrude etec outboards.

Any idea if it’s the same? I see you use it on your car.

Old 09-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Thanks for this. I’ve been meaning to get around to getting one of three things for my evinrude etec outboards.

Any idea if it’s the same? I see you use it on your car.
The openport is for any OBD2 connector vehicle. If your outboards have an obd2 port yes, if not I don't know. You would need to igure out what typeof ecu they use and find an appropriate interface. In the motorcycle case you have to use an adapter to interface the openport.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:13 AM   #5

Boy finding that connector on Alieexpress.com is a tough one, i could not find it
it just dumps you into shopping
do you know of any other source for the connector cable ?
I have the wireless OBD2 thing but haven't tried to hook it up yet... seems like your saying I need an adapter to do that ???? that would figure !
this fuel injection stuff is all new to me I'm used to carbs ! HAHAHA !
Bob......

Old 05-29-2022, 03:49 AM   #6

I have tried several times to find a way to make the link work for the recommended plug
however I cannot find that plug on the ali-whatchallit site it just keeps dumping me to their home page and advertisements
does anyone know where I can get that plug ? I have a Wifi OBD2 unit and a few down loaded things/programs but how in the world am I supposed to make this work ?
more help would be greatly appreciated !
Bob....

Old 05-29-2022, 09:42 AM   #7

In the ECU hacker information they list a VAG KKL interface to to a HSB plug which I purchased from Amazon for about $17 and also the female 16 pin plug to fit the VAG with just open wires on the other end. You have to fit the plug that connects to the bikes diagnostic plug and the plug information is given for the Delphi ECU in ECU Hacker, The Lifan plug is different so I fitted a 4 way plug to the cable and to the wires of the Lifan diagnostic cables, I have tested this and it works fine on ECU hacker although I have gone no further with it yet.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:58 AM   #8

A couple years ago we had an inmate who lived in China and was able to source stuff there for the RX3...and now probably the RX4. He sold me a diagnostic tool, basically an OBD reader, that was designed to work directly with the RX ECU. I have not seen any posts from Tako in a few years...went by NZLathe...but if he can snag more of those tools it would be a good investment. The one I got is dead simple and provides information for each of the sensors. No, you cannot program the ECU with this tool, strictly diagnostic.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:42 PM   #9

Humm.... thanks for the help anyway guys !
Bob.....

Old 07-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #10

ok.... I ordered this today......

6 Pin OBD to OBD2 For Delphi Motorcycle Diagnostic Scanners Tool Adapter Cable

$12.13Unit price $12.13

Item number:133803275122
found it on ebay....says it will be a month to get here ! AURGH !
it says it is for motorcycles with the delfi ignition so I am guessing this should work
I have a wireless OBD2 reader already and a few pieces of software....but I'll have to install them on my kids laptop so it's portable to get to the bike in the back yard.
any idea what parameters I need to change to make the bike run a tad richer than stock ????

Bob......

Old 07-07-2022, 09:02 PM   #11

Another question for ya ....Any idea what happens to this bike when you take the battery out ? On my Honda Car (CRV) the radio quits working ! because of the anti-theft BS. they put in the radio ...and the Honda dealer can't fix it without taking the radio out ! so I have no radio just because I took out the battery !
....will the bike revert back to it's initial settings and have to go through the "learning the environment " again ? I expect so.... but I don't know for sure....
Bob.....

Old 07-08-2022, 10:44 AM   #12

Bob, I'm pretty sure the OBD unit cannot change any ECU settings. Mine just reports what signals come into the ECU so you can find a bad sensor or loose connection.

Old 07-09-2022, 10:31 PM   #13

Thank you Sir !
So what am I misunderstanding here ? an OBD2 READER will tell you what the CPU is doing or what error code is present
Some OBD2 readers can read or send to the ECU and I believe I got one that could do both their just a few bucks more than the ones that can't send...at least I thought that is all it took......
....getting information about this stuff is like trying to open a clam with your fingers !
and if you don't know where to look for that information ...like ME .... your S.O.L.
OBVIOUSLY i have no idea what I am doing here....how to check the ECU or anything about it....BUT I want to learn ! can someone please point me to a place where I can learn more about it ?
Bob.......

Old 07-10-2022, 07:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kelly View Post
Another question for ya ....Any idea what happens to this bike when you take the battery out ? On my Honda Car (CRV) the radio quits working ! because of the anti-theft BS. they put in the radio ...and the Honda dealer can't fix it without taking the radio out ! so I have no radio just because I took out the battery !
....will the bike revert back to it's initial settings and have to go through the "learning the environment " again ? I expect so.... but I don't know for sure....
Bob.....
If you bought the Honda new, you should have been given a code to get it to work again. My wife's is written in her manual.

2016 Magician 250

Old 07-10-2022, 08:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kelly View Post
Another question for ya ....Any idea what happens to this bike when you take the battery out ?
Bob.....
I have disconnected the battery a few times and never noticed any change to how the bike ran. Yes, had to reset the clock..nothing else.