Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2020, 08:39 AM   #31

Old 08-20-2020, 12:34 AM   #32

Hey All, I've been lurking for forever, finally made an account.

Question: Does anyone know of an alternative rear brake foot lever that can be mounted on the RX4? Looking for something with teeth or something like that.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM View Post
Hey All, I've been lurking for forever, finally made an account.

Question: Does anyone know of an alternative rear brake foot lever that can be mounted on the RX4? Looking for something with teeth or something like that.
I'm not aware of anything specific that is available for the RX4, or of any part numbers that cross reference from another bike; however, the lever is made of steel, which makes it fairly easy to cut off the existing lever and weld on something else more to your liking. This assumes that you have access to the necessary tools, such as an oxyacetylene torch, plasma cutter, hand grinder with a cut-off wheel, or a bandsaw for doing the cutting and a small MIG or stick welder; if you don't you could always take it to a welding fabrication shop and have them do it for you, but it will definitely set you back more than than doing it yourself or buying something off the shelf.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #34

Really, I've been looking for a center stand. Maybe the stand is a copy of a bmw but I can't examine it right now because my bike is in the shop. Also I was advised that the seller selling the grille is flaky, and raised the price greatly. I was suggested to use a BMW 1200 gs grille which can be cheaply had.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
Really, I've been looking for a center stand.
Any center stands I have ever encountered were mounted to the motorcycle frame. Maybe you can rig up a stand that mounts on the tabs used for the bash plate. I think it will turn out to be an either-or situation. Either you have a bash plate or the centerstand...not both. I have not tried to figure out the balance point for the bike so you'd have to look at that too for maximum utility. The cradle that extends under the engine is made of what appear to be 13mm tubes, not sure how strong they will be in this application. CSC sells a rear stand that is useful in the shop but certainly not portable.

Peter Y.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #36

RX4 is useful

My RX4 has proven to be a useful motorcycle.
Used for commuting and hauling around stuff.
I used the RX4 to transport solar panels from
here to there for some ham radio field event.
Just over 5,000 miles now and will be doing
the first valve adjustment during Thanksgiving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200618_194006716p1p.jpg (187.6 KB, 489 views)

Old 09-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
Really, I've been looking for a center stand. Maybe the stand is a copy of a bmw but I can't examine it right now because my bike is in the shop. Also I was advised that the seller selling the grille is flaky, and raised the price greatly. I was suggested to use a BMW 1200 gs grille which can be cheaply had.
Let me know if you find anything that works. I could probably fabricate something if I was sufficiently motivated. I would prefer to have a center stand.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:59 AM   #38

LOL my wife talked me into a Blue one .... but I wish I had stuck with the Yellow.... oh well
.... I've done alot to mine even though I only have 77 miles on it....
it's a Blue CSCRX4 2021 model and it was too tall for me to be coumfortable on it
...so I lowered it ( i have a 30" inseam)
I got some handle bar risers the ones that pivot in the bar clamps.and moved the handle bars back a little so I could raise the front forks in the tripple trees 2"
then took out all the preload in the rear spring and locked the nuts at the top of the shock that dropped the back by 2"
so NOW i can sit on the bike and touch flat footed with both feet !
.....that is a must do in my view, tall bikes are a hazard to you and the bike !
..... I bought some barkBuster type hand guards for $37.00 on Amazon and put them on and love them.... also got the wide, bigger foot pegs on there and my feet do not slip
they stay where I put them ! ( even with the hard suspension)
Now I just need some miles on it to finish breaking it in !
Bob......

Old 04-02-2022, 08:15 PM   #39

I hate riding a bike that is too tall for me in traffic light-to-traffic light traffic. Eventually gives me muscle clamps.
Can you post some pics of how you lowered the rear suspension of the RX4?
Seat height is one of the main reasons I haven't bought an RX4 (or KLR, DR650, etc)

Old 04-30-2022, 07:30 AM   #40

I concur with the Idles funny and periodically stalls for no reason... it did that today on me
had to turn over 3 times before it restarted.... not normal usually it only makes a half revolution to start ! kind'a strange !
I've had no trouble with starting out in first... in fact I started out in 2nd today like an idiot ! LOL I thought it was in 1st but it wasn't ! LOL
But I am used to feathering the clutch too.... you do need to give the bike quite a bit of gas as your letting the clutch out....it's a heavy bike !
On my bike I've done quite a bit of changing stuff....
.... Amazon bark busters like hand guards
.... Kwick Loc phone mount
.... made a pole/winch to lift up the bike for me if I can't lift it up
.... Added a nice thick crash plate under the engine that I had for a XR650L used the plastic skid plate as
a pattern drilled 4 holes and it mounted up fine... I had to dent the one side to clear the exhaust pipe
better but it works great and looks good too.
.... Lowered the front and rear 2"
.... handle bar risers that pivot in the old mounting spot
( had to do that to lower the front)
.... just put on a rear spring and had to take it back off because it didn't fit....so I still
have that hard rear spring on it, which I will change when I find a suitable spring !
.... Lowered the pressure in the tires to where the dash warns me about it....(i had to
do something to soften the ride it was beating me to death!)
.... I let some pressure out of the rear air shock down to about 30 lbs it still rides too
hard but I can feel that it's a little better !
.... adjusted the forks and rear shock to the fastest setting possible.
.... I read the numbers on the temp gauge now sense the gauge hovers one bar from
the top all the time !
I have the bike just about where I want it now, with the exception of the RIDEwhich is way to stiff in the rear and maybe steeper final gearing to drop the RPM's at 70mph
but other than that it seems to be a great bike ! I highly recommend it only 130 miles or so on it so far but it is warming up outside a bit so soon I'll get more miles on
"Miss piggy" LOL
Bob......

Old 04-30-2022, 07:51 AM   #41

Lowering the 2021 RX4 was fairly simple actually
the rear I just took a long heavy screw driver and loosened the lock nut on the pre load on the rear shock and put it to the top of the threads and then slowly beat the bottom nut up to the top one and then locked it there.
that lowered the rear about 2" exactly.
You can get away with lowering the rear alone but it's not advisable as it changes the rake and trail in the front wheel so the handling is no where near as good as it is stock.....
Lowering the front takes just loosing the triple tree clamps on the fork legs and sliding them up to touch the handle bars that gave me about 1.5" in the front ... but I wanted to match the rear so I got some handle bar risers ( the pivoting kind of 2" rise) and used then to move the handle bars back so I could slide the top of the forks up further set them both at exactly 2" and then buttoned everything down.... no change in the handling at all.
....and I can flat foot both feet at a stop sign, and I have a 30" inseam.

....EDITED.... I discovered that lowering the rear actually bottomed out the shock ! so don't move the nuts all the way up to the top if you go down 2" with the rear that way the shock will be bottoming out all the time so don't do that ! I had to raise the rear of my bike again in an attempt to get a smoothe ride
.... so far no luck, it rides like a truck !

Bob.....

Last edited by Bob Kelly; 05-19-2022 at 02:56 AM.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:30 AM   #42

YZ bend Handlebars

I picked up a set of these bars with risers, how crap you loose a lot of height, standing I'd be hunched over like an old man....wait I am old.... any way, any one find these to short for off road riding?

Old 05-19-2022, 02:50 AM   #43

What ? how can that be their RISERS they raise the handle bars not lower them
on the RX4 it moved the bars up to where my hands on the controls are just slightly under shoulder height ! perfect for standing on the pegs !
their on the verge of being too tall for me ! how can they be too short for you ? are you 8' tall or something ? LOL
what did you actually buy gott'a link ?
Bob......
the bar risers I got were from Amazon.... here's the link

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Ha...82KGHV8C&psc=1

I had to take the shims and use them on the small end of the risers so they would fit the normal clamps on the RX4 then the bars just went in the clamps on the Risers they work great.

Old 06-26-2022, 02:19 AM   #44

I had to change the rear shock spring and make a new lower link to get the seat to 30"
now it compresses a little when I sit on it, and I can touch flat footed...
the only problem I can see is the rear tire rubbing on the fender well....
after the initial test ride I had to raise it by the preload adjustment to give more tire clearance .... it wore a hole in the inner fender well fast !
Bob......

Old 06-26-2022, 06:29 AM   #45

It is very bad there is all the electronics it is better to buy a new fender right away the wheel can not rub after in the rain at high speed on a bump the wheel can jump up and stop I saw a video of such a situation where on a motorcycle were riding two people the wheel jumped up and stopped and they flew sideways yesterday I set the suspension in the front I have the damping set to 0, and in the rear to 1 turn, that is very little the rear is great because there is good oil poured unfortunately the front is waiting for an oil change I wonder what kind of oil the factory gives zongshen that the engine runs like a chopper and the shocks do not damp oil is terribly important because not only the spring dampens the rebound and a good oil will not change the hardness if it is hot or cold outside but a liter costs $35.