Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2020, 10:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
How do you feel about first gear? I have to always have to be very careful it will stall. Ss a new rider, makes me less confident in traffic. Would a increase tooth rear sprocket help this?
First gear is fine; much better than what the RX3 comes with, in my opinion.

I wouldn't bother with a larger rear sprocket. Your problem is simply inexperience on a motorcycle. What will help is practice - lots of practice, in a parking lot, out of traffic. It always helps to blip the throttle just before feeding in some clutch, to get the engine revs up and avoid stalling it. It's that same annoying thing (to car drivers, anyway) that you are always seeing motorcyclists do at traffic lights that they are waiting for. Find an empty parking lot and start doing start from a stop drills. Stop, give the throttle a quick, short twist and give it some clutch to get going. Come to a stop and do it again. It will come pretty quick, once you get the hang and feel of the controls on the bike.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #17

I watched a video testing an RX4 vs Himalayan. That video tester complained more about the feel of the clutch at low speeds in the rock gardens.
- Because the RX4 is marketed as an ADV bike, rather than than a dual sport, I dont think the absence of a low first gear is a big surprise.
- The Hima chugged through the rock gardens better, but fell way short in street performance.
- Two very different animals.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #18

Approaching 5,000 miles now on the RX4. Not thinking about more farkles now, thinking about the first valve adjustment and maybe a new rear tire soon. It is running great and makes my commute to work lots of fun. I did all of the valve adjustments to my RX3 and hated it each time. It came out great, just I hated stripping down the bike just to get access to the valves. I am not looking forward to doing this on the RX4, but I hope to find time in the next few weeks.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #19

Math Teacher, the RX4 valve check is much easier than on the RX3. In particular, it was a super PITA to get to the exhaust valves on my RX3 due to the frame support and how the radiators were placed. Yes, you need to remove all the body plastic. That's a 5 minute job once you have the sequence down. Then you must remove a cast aluminum support so you can pull the valve cover out the left side. No more worries about installing the valve covers upside down (BTDT). Access is just so much better!

You must be the RX4 high mileage champ. It sounds like you and the bike have bonded. Congratulations.

Peter Y.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:15 AM   #20

Going toi have to call CSC today. Pretty sure my radiator fan doesnt engage. Bike will be idling with the colander bars st 5 and flashing, fan never turns on. Then it jumped from 5 bars to 3 while riding and cooling down..

Old 07-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #21

RE the cooling fan...have you determined if the problem is the sensor, not the fan?

Old 07-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Going toi have to call CSC today. Pretty sure my radiator fan doesnt engage. Bike will be idling with the colander bars st 5 and flashing, fan never turns on. Then it jumped from 5 bars to 3 while riding and cooling down..
First thing to do is check your coolant level, both in the overflow tank and in the radiator itself. All the fans in the world won't help if there isn't enough coolant in the system.

If the coolant level checks out, unplug the radiator fan's connection to the coolant switch in the radiator and jump the pins in the fan's connector to 12V and ground with jumper wires or a PowerProbe. If it kicks on, then you know that the fan is OK; if it doesn't, check the two pins in the connector with a multimeter set to ohms. This will check for any opens in the fan motor windings. It should not have any resistance, hence continuity or zero ohms should be shown on the multimeter.

Next check out the coolant switch in the radiator with a multimeter still set to measure ohms. It should be open with the coolant cold; when the coolant warms up it should close and zero out the resistance and turn on the fan. If the switch does not close when the coolant temp is at 4 bars, then it is definitely bad.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:49 PM   #23

I checked the coolant t, will need to check the sensor

Old 07-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #24

The right side fans on both my RX3's was barely touching the radiator and not allowing them to turn. One shim (nut) fixed the problem. May want to check that also.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-07-2020, 03:46 AM   #25

Went to a shop under warranty. Fan switch is being replaced.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Went to a shop under warranty. Fan switch is being replaced.
Good to hear. Chalk up another one for CSC and their 2 year warranty; doing what what they say it will - providing parts and service on a Chinese manufactured motorcycle sold here in the USA.

This and other instances seems to put paid to the critics who claimed that no one would work on a Chinese bike that needed service. Despite all the hoopla and hand wringing, shops that they said would never touch a Chinese motorcycle seem to be more than willing to do the work when given the opportunity. Granted, these past five years they haven't had a whole lot of opportunities, considering how reliable the RX3, TT250 and other CSC bikes have proven themselves to be, but still. Folks seem to slowly be coming around to the fact that the Chinese are here and they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #27

I'm half-tempted to buy a CSC SG250 for putzing around town just because CSC seems like awesome people.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #28

I had a TT250 for a short while, basically an off road version of the SG250. That 230cc lump would be perfect for putting around town, particularly in an area where you don't have to deal with heavy traffic and 60 mph speeds. Running errands, getting a haircut or even just a spin out of town on country roads...the SG250 will be a great choice. It's a dead simple design and about a bazillion copies of that basic Honda engine have proven themselves around the world.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
I'm half-tempted to buy a CSC SG250 for putzing around town just because CSC seems like awesome people.
An SG250 or TT250 make awesome around town errand bikes. If you need to do short stretches of highway, consider a 45 tooth rear sprocket, to calm down the engine revs.

Just an FYI - the 2019 and onwards SG250 has undergone several upgrades since the Revzilla review. Basically everything that they complained about has been improved, apart from the big ass rear brake lever. It now has an LED headlamp, upside down forks, disc brake in the rear in place of the drum brake on their review bike, and an all stainless steel exhaust instead of the black painted steel on the 2018 model. Zhongshen also replaced the two pod mechanical gauges with a single pod LCD set up. The chain is still a non o-ring design, so very short life. I would cut it off and replace it with a good EK, RK or D.I.D. brand 428 chain as soon as I got it. That's what I did on my TT250 and I haven't had any issues with it, which is the way I like things.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:04 AM   #30

I saw a headlight grille for the RX4 (ZSGY500) on AliEpxress a while back. I've been trying to find it again because I didn't save it. Iswearimstock said he modified a bmw grlle, but O know a saw a rx4 guard

Found it: about 80 shipped. I'm asking the seller for a side pic to see how it mounts. https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400100...ou_829771782.0