Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2023, 07:16 AM   #1

RX3 or RX4?

Hi guys. I'm trying to decide between the two bikes. Basically, what I am looking for is the motorcycle equivalent of a capable SUV. I want something I can take on trails but also down the highway. Does the RX3 sustain highway speeds (70mph+) for long stretches, or would I be better off going with an RX4? (185 lbs of me to factor into that question.)

I considered a Himalayan, but after test riding one I don't think it'll be good on the highway, and the larger ADVS are usually too tall for me to ride comfortably.

I'm also looking at a couple of enduros, but would need to modify the seat. (That's a different thread, though.)

Old 05-19-2023, 10:53 AM   #2

Good question.
I own both RX3 and RX4.
The keyword is sustained cruise speed of 70mph
To cruise at 70mph go RX4. Absolutely go RX4.
The RX3 is akin to the Himalayan for highway capability.
The light weight of RX3 is great for backroads and mild trails offroad BDR etc. If your use scenario is life at 60 or below and you value light weight, RX3 shines
If you can handle the higher weight of the RX4 on trails two track etc and travel to/from your destinations safely at 70mph with some reserve for passing, safety, evasive maneuvers etc, RX4 is the only choice. It’s not even responsible to recommend RX3 for that scenario, imho. Seriously not responsible.
The RX4 is truly a bargain for what you get. It’s a comprehensive package. The top box accomodates an adv helmet with visor as delivered. Same key fits all 3 boxes seat and ignition. You don’t have to shop for crash bars and luggage nor a mild skid plate.
You might post this question on the 2 USA CSC Facebook groups and the big rx4 thread on advrider to get other’s opinions.
I stand by what I’ve written, and i had a great ride on my RX3 yesterday and RX4 the day before.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:53 AM   #3

Hi David, the RX3 is smaller and lighter so better suited for trail riding...if you mean jeep trails, not goat trails. It's still low on grunt and the suspension is never going to be up to the task if you are an aggressive off road rider. It will do 70 mph on level ground if you have it pegged. Up a hill...no way. The RX4 is going to be a better bet for highway use. Once again, the suspension will not be up to the task for aggressive off road riding. In my mind the RX4 is a good highway bike with mild off road capabilities. In automotive terms, the RX4 is like my Subaru Outback....a much better highway option than a Jeep but off road the Jeep is a better bet.

Old 05-19-2023, 04:07 PM   #4

Thanks, guys. I should probably note that I do have a bigger bike already that is suitable for the interstate. I just wanted something smaller and lighter that I could take off road. I'm leaning heavily toward the RX3 as I could always just take the Harley if I wanted to go on the interstate.

Old 05-19-2023, 06:45 PM   #5

David, my opinion owning both bikes is IF you are willing to reduce your sustained highway speed to 60mph, AND you would enjoy a lightweight all purpose bike for modest offroad, the RX3 will make you smile.
For low speed pavement, and gravel/dirt etc i prefer the rx3 to the rx4 as it’s fun to ride with quick turn-in, flickability, etc.
I bought a new 21 Rx4 in 1/22, bought Tom the 80yr old adventurers rx3 with 29,512 miles on it in 11/22.
The spec sheets on both bikes show overall sizes similar and weight 70ish lbs lighter. Like most of us no test rides until the truck delivers the bike, and upon delivery Wow the light weight was a surprise. When rx3 first arrived it helped usher in the lightweight small displacement adv bikes.
Im kinda like u, i have rx4 as my heavyweight (haha, i sold my 2015 Yamaha 1300 bagger and my Buell xb12xt as the Rx4 is more fun than those were), and when on backroads 60mph zone and below i normally reach for my lightweight RX3 keys first.
Peter gives good feedback he has owned both too.
They’re on sale now and are a pretty complete package for $4kish delivered to your door.
You are the service dept so u have to b good with that

Old 05-19-2023, 09:11 PM   #6

I own both:

RX3 = Best at mostly back or off road riding, at a sedate pace; it's not a rally bike. Light, if you plan on picking it up a lot (365-425 lbs, depending upon how you configure it). Highway riding at 60-65 mph, with nothing in reserve for passing or getting out of sticky situations. Available center stand.

RX4 = Great highway bike, plenty of power in reserve, it will do 70 mph all day without issue and still let you pass with ease. Much heavier than the RX3 (450-500 lbs in its various configurations), it will wear you down faster off road if you aren't experienced in that sort of riding. No center stand available, if that is a must have. Available cast wheels that permit running tubeless tires (I'm running Shinko 705's on mine at the moment) on the 2020 models; 2021 and newer come stock with tubeless spoke wheels in addition to the TFT dash and TPMS.

Either bike is a good deal, just be honest with yourself about how you intend to use it and your choice will be clear.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:22 AM   #7

Well, after talking to a couple of friends who know more than I do, I've decided to get a small dual sport, instead. I've never ridden off road before, so it makes more sense to start small.

Thanks for the help, guys. Much appreciated.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:37 AM   #8

Good choice! I owned and sold an RX4 and while it may be highway "capable" on an highway incline doing 70 with nothing left to pass while a pickup was on my tail was no fun.. If you want a highway capable bike it needs to be able to maintain 90mph to be comfortable and not be maxxed out and none of these smaller displacement bikes will do that.. a chinese 250 dual sport will be great fun on gravel and hard-pack being nice and light but will definitely not be highway capable for anything over a 55-60mph road as they reach their limits soon after and riding at 8k rpm gets old quickly.. If the RX4 had another 20 or more hp to move its heft it would have fit the bill for sure, which is why to have what you are looking for i think you may need to look outside the Chinabike circle, ie. something like a Super Tenere, KLR650, KTM etc, heavier bikes for sure but alot more power as well' otherwise you have 2 bikes, one for dedicated dual sport duty and another for ADV touring

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 05-20-2023, 12:37 PM   #9

Hi... does anyone has Rx3s 400cc.... ZS400GY variant??? i do not find any material about it anywhere

Zongshen Bikes and Engines. Base Fan boy Suzuki...

Old 05-20-2023, 08:42 PM   #10

Not in USA, there are several in South America and EU and Asia. Also Pakistan.
Too bad, the latest version with the 400cc motor is basically the much called for Versys 400.
I would buy one today if RX3s was imported