Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #1

Pannier Rack?

Anyone know of an after market pannier rack for the RX4 (or someone that has a used set)?

I already have the tourfella boxes from my old RX3 just need the rack.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:56 PM   #2

I believe tour-fella also sells racks but of course they won't have the RX4 in their list to choose from.... I was looking at the tour-fella boxes before I got the RX4 and found several places that sold quick release racks , their expensive , but really nice to have the convenience to take the box off and take it into the motel with you !
.... the problem is which one will fit the RX4 and I think your best bet is to call tourfella and ask them it may well be that anything for a GS1000 will fit the RX4 but you have no way of knowing that....
doesn't your RX4 have the stock luggage with it ? if so you can just unbolt the plastic boxes and use them as a template to drill holes in your tourfella boxes and then bolt them on !
..... it's a thought anyway... !!!
Bob.......

Old 06-25-2022, 02:57 PM   #3

Hay Rider 2016......
I messaged CSC motorcycles about their "Not having the pannier racks listed for the RX4"
and the last time I did that they jumped right on it and fixed the list....
so maybe they will fix that one too....
they do list it but only a silly spring washer is listed to buy ! LOL which is silly !
( looks like too many chiefs and not enough Indians to me !)
maybe that will help you get some racks for your bike
I'm in the process of re assembling my RX4 with the new, new lower link in there.
we'll see how that goes after I get it all back together again.... just came in...it's too hot for me to work out there in the heat.... i'll wait till sundown !
Bob......

Old 06-27-2022, 04:42 PM   #4

Humm... well Wade just replied to me from CSC and said they do not sell the brackets separately.... so I guess if you lay it over and bend one you can't replace it.... that makes no sense at all.....
the quick release rack is far and away better anyway !
Bob............

Old 07-15-2022, 11:37 PM   #5

I just made some small Pannier Racks for the TT250 for the Kids bike...
just finished painting them infact...
I started making them with 1/8" thick x 1 1/2" bar stock ,but it flexed too much so I switched to 3/16" thick x 1 1/2" bar stock instead.... that's much better !
I'll post a pic or two when I get every thing bolted up.
Bob...

Old 07-28-2022, 03:01 PM   #6

Here are a few pictures of the saddle bags i made up for the Kids TT250...
the steel I used is 1 1/4" wide x 3/16" thick ( thinner 1/8" is too weak)
the Harbor freight cases are bolted on in 5 or 6 places with large fender washers on both sides of the plastic in a few places where it's rather thin.
I added a 1/2" round rod across the back for added support. they turned out fairly WIDE
but at least they shouldn't be melted by the exhaust pipe. <GRIN>
here's the pics.
Bob.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT250sad01.jpg (150.9 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg TT250sad02.jpg (128.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg TT259sad03.jpg (138.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg TT250sad04.jpg (86.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg TT250sad05.jpg (108.3 KB, 138 views)

Old 07-28-2022, 03:09 PM   #7

I'm still in the proccess of making the brackets for the top box
the boxes themselves were $38.00 each I got 3 of them for this
the steel cost about $50.00 so far and I still need another piece that cost about $27.00 at last check...
I attached the saddle bags to the grab rail of the rear seat and IT is the only thing that flexes when wiggled hard.... their pirty solid !
Bob......

Old 07-28-2022, 06:01 PM   #8

For the RX4, give some thought to anchoring the bags to the rear subframe, the way the OEM racks are built. Mine are secured by two 8mm (or might be 10mm) bolts. This frame angles down from the subframe to a lower point on the racks and gives the whole rack much more lateral support. Are you using steel tube?

Peter Y.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:31 PM   #9

Well, on my RX4 it has the rear racks, and they are anchored really solidly so I'm not going to mess with them unless they break.
finding the want to ride the thing is the biggest problem mainly because of the weight,
but there's not much I can do about that !
I did cut down the side stand yesterday and took out another 1/2" to give it a better lean on a flat hard surface.... it was too vertical before.... so I have taken out 1 1/2" out of the side stand and it's just about right now....
getting down to the sub frame on either of these CSC bikes is a major P.I.T.A. as you have to disassemble the entire back of the bike. that means EVERYTHING
but it is a possable better FIX for the TT250 as the Hand rail that I bolted to is thin aluminum and it does flex quite a bit. only time will tell if it holds up to being dumped on it's side or not.... if anything brakes it will be that aluminum hand rail I guarantee it!
....but it's one of those " I'll cross that bridge when I come to it " type things...LOL
I couldn't think of a way to give the saddle bags more support, i was thinking of attaching a bar to the upper foot peg bolt and running that to the front corner of the lower rack.... but that isn't the weak point , the weak point is side to side motion ,not front to back front to back is very solid, and a bar like that would not stop side to side motion at all.... something from the frame right by the corner is what is needed.
that precludes a bar because of the tire so it must be to the frame. but that frame area is about 6" forward of that point and your not going to get very much support with that kind of leverage.....
You'll notice I used 10mm bolts to hold the rack on.... i didn't figure bolts any bigger would help as the aluminum I bolted to is so weak ! .....
.... on my Triumph 750 Bonneville I used 1/2" bolts to hold the back rack on... I can pick up the back of the bike with that rack......but on the TT250 what I'm hooking to ain't that strong !.... so YES it SHOULD be Hooked to the Frame !!!!
Bob....

Old 08-25-2022, 06:00 AM   #10

I completed the rack on the TT250 now. and also put a box on the 250R Ninja because there is absolutely no way to carry anything on that bike !
I'll see if I can post a pic or 2 of them without having to re size everything in my photo album ,,,LOL
.....there, mission accomplished ! LOL
each box is the same size and they can easily hold 2 gallons of milk each so quite a bit of room on there now.... although I wish I had not made the racks quite so wide... but I was worried about the exhaust melting the box.... so I gave it some room.

Bob.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT250 & Boxes.jpg (148.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg TT250& boxes 2.jpg (168.9 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Bob Kelly; 08-25-2022 at 04:18 PM.