Originally Posted by Clueless
Just got a gio 250. Will not run. First started and would idle
about6-7 seconds. Adjuted idle and now bike will start and stall
right away? I am no mechanic and have no idea what the
problem is. Can anyone help.
You using the choke?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #3

Welcome!

Are you using the original spark plug? If so, go buy an NGK.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #4

I am using the choke and strangly enough it will only start with the choke off, also yes original plug / I thought the Gio site said they are shipped with NGK plugs?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #5

Do you happen to know the NGK plug #

Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #6

This would be very useful, I also need to know the NGK plug #. Also what kind of oil would you reccomend for breaking in these bikes, and do they really require 94 octane or can I just use 91 octane premium in them? Thanks very much for your time.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #7

I'm not sure if the plug is the same as the 200cc models so I'll let someone else confirm that.

You should use a regular 10-40 motorcycle oil for wet clutches. A castrol 10-40 for example sold at Wally Mart.

You should be fine with 91/92 octane gas. It'll run on 87 but it's happier with more octane.

I think you might need to adjust your mixture screws in the carb a bit more...but I'd start with the correct plug when someone chimes in.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #8

Before we go any further, which plug is in there now? BTW, even if it says NGK, it might be a clever fake. A side by side comparison will make that clear.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #9

Thanks a lot for the info guys! I managed to find a champion plug that will work just great, # 183037. And thanks for the info about the oil/octane, my 2010 gio x31 comes this coming monday so I'll let you all know how I like it!

Thanks again!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #10

The plug that came with my X31 250cc is a NGK D8EA, i only had to adjust the idle a bit and it has been running great, on the first 60km ride the rear sprocket bolts came loose so make sure you remove the bolts one at a time and loctite them, also bend down both of the tabs that are meant to keep the bolts from loosening, also loctite the bolt that hold the front of the seat down, mine fell out on that first ride as well.
I'm using Castrol 10w/40 motorcycle oil in my X31.

As for your problem, you adjusted the idle and now it won't run, are you 100% sure that it was the idle screw you adjusted ?( sorry had to ask ), also are you sure you didn't back the idle out too far to the point that it won't stay running ?.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #11

I had a similiar issue that these guys helped me with and they told me to get NGK plug. I put that plug in and my dirt bike ALWAYS start on the first kick. It never started on the first kick when I bought it it would take me 5 minutes to crank it over! I think the original plugs in these must be real crap. Anyway just wanted to share!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #12

Issues

There's a few issues with the bike brand, the most annoying being the throttle cable clicks and cracks because things are not lined up to the spool very well.... Not looking for a solution just want to put the information out there.

I've ordered the a new CNC machined throttle grip. I've also ordered the performance NO REV LIMIT CDI... wondering if this really is a good idea lol. Thanks for any input.

Also I was wondering about that carb air mixture screw on the bottom of the PZ30 Mikuni Carb, does screwing it out make the mixture more lean or rich?

Thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #13

Re: Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockd2006
Also I was wondering about that carb air mixture screw on the bottom of the PZ30 Mikuni Carb, does screwing it out make the mixture more lean or rich?

Thanks
Out will be richer and in will be leaner.

I too have the CNC throttle, will have to put it on one day, i've heard that the throttle cable will be short when using the CNC one, but we'll have to see.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #14

Re: Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Quote:
Originally Posted by ockd2006

Thanks
Out will be richer and in will be leaner.

I too have the CNC throttle, will have to put it on one day, i've heard that the throttle cable will be short when using the CNC one, but we'll have to see.
Except it's really not at the bottom of the carb. It is on the front side just above the float bowl. The screw on the bottom of the carb is the float bowl drain.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #15

Another random question... sorry for going all over the place here, but I was wondering how long should I be breaking the engine in for, and how many riding hours should I wait before installing the performance CDI module, I realize it's all a matter of personal preference, but I want to make this bike last.