Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2024, 08:57 PM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
It's a crate bike. ... You are more likely to encounter shipping problems than quality issues.
Correct me if I'm wrong; buying just a crate from a pure distributor (i.e. with little or no parts & service infrastructure ... or a phone) is like buying with a 'tail-light warranty' (good `till the tail-lights fade in the distance). You bought it; it's yours; good luck chasing down parts, when needed ... and the notion of 'bullet-proof' bikes is b.s., regardless of the country of origin or brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Personally, I'd get the PWK34 model. But I like to bypass emissions standards and jet the bike myself. Your choice!
I'm at about 4,500' altitude; rides might range up to 10,000-12,000'. Carburetors aren't designed for changing altitude, humidity, temperature etc.; carburetors don't have the required mass air volume, temperature and other necessary sensors. Carburetors can be optimized for one set of conditions; step outside those conditions and carburetors run sub-optimally ... and, I'd rather ride than tune, anyway; that's like having to change tires for every surface change ... or tow another bike (more bologna).

True, emissions standards send many (most?) bikes out running lean (and WAY too red hot); running lean is easier corrected with a ~$150 tuning unit in series with the injector ... than pulling a carburetor out from the frame and re-jetting etc. - for altitude, temperature, humidity changes etc.

... just my opinion; 'your mileage may vary'.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:26 PM   #2

Yeah, I have heard all the arguments. But EFI gremlins can get in the way of that warantee. Maybe it hasn't happened to you but I have heard about some real nightmares.

And actually, I have gotten free replacement parts from "pure distributors", like a brand new fully assembled wheel with bearings and seals for a cracked left front seal seat !

You can jet a carb for a trip with most anticipated altitude changes.

Last edited by Thumper; 02-18-2024 at 12:00 AM.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:57 PM   #3

Exclamation some TrailMaster info

TrailMaster and MotoBuys list the same Garland, TX (N.E. of Dallas) address. ... a 'Manny' outfit? `dunno? ... maybe not? "Manny" sites make uncovering their address a challenge; TrailMaster/MotoBuys didn't ...

I'm guessing that 'TrailMaster' is the importer's/distributor's brand name? ... rather than the actual manufacturer's name? Though we know the engine is made by Zongshen and the bike is, apparently, a 2009 KTM 350 clone (patents expired, presumably), I haven't found what Chinese outfit actually assembles and crates the whole thing? Millions of small engines are made in Zongshen for sale around the world. Was the whole bike assembled in Zongshen? ` dunno, yet?

They offer a phone, as well as eMail Contact address. I suspect that these outfits prefer eMail to phone communications? ... understandably.

Apparently, the TM38EX (injected + street sfuff: lights, mirrors, horn etc.) comes with an owners manual (` have no idea how good/thorough it is? ... or if it includes torque specs?). I saw no .pdf version owners manual available on the site.

At least for the TM38EX, MotoBuys (TrailMaster) offer a nice, reasonably thorough YouTube assembly video:

` looks as straightforward as any other crate bike.
As usual with such assembly videos, neither a torque wrench nor LocTite is to be found ... but you know better; just take your time and do it 'right'.

`looks like $4,000 includes shipping, except $39 for residential tailgate service (`seems reasonable) + $39 for an MCO (to plate it, if you can in your State). I suspect that the reason these outfits declare some bikes 'off-road only' is that the bike has NOT incurred emissions testing expenses.

A carburetor-version (TM38) YouTube nice 'review' is available, as well:

"That's why they make chocolate, as well as vanilla."

Last edited by Discoveror; 02-16-2024 at 12:53 PM.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:13 PM   #4

Yup. That's the one. I found a new KTM 250SX 2 stroke, so I abandoned my 298cc liquid cooled 4 stroke quest. But that TM38 is the one I was hoping to buy.

Last edited by Thumper; 02-18-2024 at 12:01 AM.