Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

Painting plastic

Initially I bought some of that vinyl cammo wrap to cover my 110cc Bravo but I gave up on it. Two many intricate bends to work with. This stuff may work great on a flat surface but not on this thing!

So my next idea is to paint it. Krylon or Rustoelum makes a paint called Fusion for plastic I've used before but the paint is flaking off this thing so I'd like to primer it first then sand it down where the paint is flaking off.

I do not want to remove the paint! Done that with the bumper on a Ford Explorer and it was a mess.

I'm thinking of taking my high pressure washer to it to try to knock off anymore loose paint then prime it.

Can I use ordinary sandable primer? Then Rustoelum white gloss paint over top of it?

I'm thinking of using some of that flexible bumper paint and maybe just go over it with Rustoelum white gloss.

What's my best option?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #2

I've painted plastic with good results. I clean it well and scuff it up with a scotch bright pad or some fine sand paper. You just need to know down the shine to a mat finish. Rub down with denatured alcohol. DON'T touch it with your bare hands. I learned this the hard way. The Krylon paint will stick to the plastic. Most primers need a plastic adhesion promoter, or primer. 3m used to make a spray can of it that was about $9 to $12 and I could do a couple dirt bikes with it.

here's the Duplicolor stuff. I didn't see the 3M brand.
https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-C...1243fc333c2131

Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #3

Sometimes the release agent they use when they take the plastic out of the mold imbeds
In the plastic, The paint has a tough time sticking to it. I "heat treat" all the plastics I hydro dip but since your not wanting to remove all the paint, I would pressure wash it, lightly scuff it with scotchbrite pad, spray it with adhesion promoter then prime and paint it.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselrunner View Post
Sometimes the release agent they use when they take the plastic out of the mold imbeds
In the plastic, The paint has a tough time sticking to it. I "heat treat" all the plastics I hydro dip but since your not wanting to remove all the paint, I would pressure wash it, lightly scuff it with scotchbrite pad, spray it with adhesion promoter then prime and paint it.
Years ago I painted a car and changed the color.

I bought some of this stuff made by SEM. I can't remember the name of it (adhesive promoter?) but it's intended to be used where sanding is impossible or hard to get to.

I sprayed the door jams with it. The paint seemed to stick to it but didn't look all that great. I still have what's left.

I'll defiantly use the Scotch-Brite pads. I normally scuff stuff up anyway before I paint it. So you think if I scuff the body but that would be good enough for sand-able primer to stick to it?

I'm not so sure that Fusion paint is not just ordinary enamel that has been relabeled simply because I've sprayed plastic before using ordinary enamel and never had it flake off. That is if I scuffed it up first with Scotch-Brite pad. I have had paint flake off slick plastic.

My main concern is the body flexing and the paint cracking. I didn't know if I needed to use some sort of paint that would flex or not.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:12 PM   #5

use fusion paint by krylon, made for plastic

Old 03-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #6

+ 1 on the Krylon Fusion;
http://www.krylon.com/how-to/how-to-...plastic-video/

Do a search here where others have used it to good effect. Check the web also.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-15-2017, 02:06 AM   #7

I used fusion and so did spud rider. I suck at painting but agree with the idea to clean well with alcohol or similar prep.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-15-2017, 02:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofiat124 View Post

I'll defiantly use the Scotch-Brite pads. I normally scuff stuff up anyway before I paint it. So you think if I scuff the body but that would be good enough for sand-able primer to stick to it?

I'm not so sure that Fusion paint is not just ordinary enamel that has been relabeled simply because I've sprayed plastic before using ordinary enamel and never had it flake off. That is if I scuffed it up first with Scotch-Brite pad. I have had paint flake off slick plastic.

My main concern is the body flexing and the paint cracking. I didn't know if I needed to use some sort of paint that would flex or not.
I think that would be fine. I use the red scotchbrite pads regularly, it just needs to be scuffed up enough to give the paint something to "bite" to. Most paints now days have a flex agent added to them, they can take a some movement and be ok. Also, like the other guys have said, wipe it down with alcohol.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #9

I painted my daughter's power wheel about 8 years ago with fusion paint. I also found a primer that was intended for plastic too. That paint is still on there. It was a new power at the time. She wanted a Barbie escalade, but the black one was half the price. Some pink and purple paint and it was 4 year old approved.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #10

Last year I painted the plastic parts on my 07 Lifan with regular Rustolium. Just washed the parts in the kitchen sink, dried in the sun, then painted. No sanding or other prep. Turned out nice and has been very durable as it sits outside with no protection for a good 6 months out of the year. I've even spilled gas on the tank plastic many times with no ill effects.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
I painted my daughter's power wheel about 8 years ago with fusion paint. I also found a primer that was intended for plastic too. That paint is still on there. It was a new power at the time. She wanted a Barbie escalade, but the black one was half the price. Some pink and purple paint and it was 4 year old approved.
What kind of primer is this and who makes it? Reason being I can just scuff the plastic and paint up and hit it with the Fusion paint but it's doing to show where the paint has flaked off. That's why I wanted to use a sand-able primer before painting it. But thought maybe I should spray a primer made specifically for plastic then hit it with regular sand-able primer over top of that.

I could try this stuff:

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...-primer-spray/

Another good thing I always use before painting is this wax and silicone remover I got in a 1 gallon jug. I can't remember who makes it, I just got it at the paint store. I think it's mostly naphtha or mineral spirit based.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #12

I've used that primer a few different times and it's worked well for me. It has some of the filling qualities that you are looking for. What's great about it is you can spray any type of paint over it as long as it's Rustoleum brand...according to the label. I'm not sure if other brands would adhere as well.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #13

[QUOTE=turbofiat124;247130]
I could try this stuff:

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...-primer-spray/

QUOTE]

I believe that was it. Found it at home depot. That was 8 years ago, but wouldn't surprise me if I still have the can around.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #14

i would think if the paint was flaking it would continue to flake even with the new paint.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #15

I used the duplicolor adhesion promoter on my ford's flaky dash. Scuff with scotch pad, alcohol wash, spray on promoter. Then several light coats of paint.