Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #16

Kool. I would have never expected that bike to be a wheelie machine. From your description, the boomcat is well worth the money.
It looks just like the 1969 Honda S90 I owned a while back. A new boomcat costs far less than restoring a similar Honda.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:11 AM   #17

Agreed on the S90 lookalike,
I was going to be shopping for an S65 (Having sold Blue :( )
and go through the Not exactly easy task of doing a 125 swap.
Well now, Having found out about this there's no need to cut up a classic.
And it's cheaper than doing the swap, Win/Win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Kool. I would have never expected that bike to be a wheelie machine. From your description, the boomcat is well worth the money.
It looks just like the 1969 Honda S90 I owned a while back. A new boomcat costs far less than restoring a similar Honda.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMantia View Post
One big issue I cant fix yet is im riding and the front wheel feels like its going over a bunch of tiny bumps constantly. I haven't ridden much with spoked wheels, should I get them checked out?
A few places to start if you suspect the "spoked wheel" is the issue

First "True" the wheel if it has never been done (or recheck spoke torque if it has been "Trued" before many miles ago), some "Ride-On" tire balance/sealant foam or Balancing Beads might help if the tire/wheel is heavy in certain spots, maybe check/replace the wheel bearing(s) with a good quality one(s) if they are cheapos and or already have little to no grease packed in them

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #19

So, no problems plating it at DMV???? I'm always leery when the websites say CARB Approved. Sometimes that's only green or red sticker for dirt.....but they don't tell you that.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-23-2019, 01:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot newb View Post
It looks like the 190 could bolt right up.
Don't quote me, but when I went to Kronik Racing several weeks ago, they had one of these, and the owner mentioned that the 190 wouldn't clear the front wheel. But again, don't quote me because I cannot recall if we discussed an engine swap for this bike. The owner would be one to call, however, about a 190 swap. I do remember that there was an Amstar 49 (the one that looks like a moped) with a 190 in it that Kronik was building for a customer.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-23-2019, 04:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
So, no problems plating it at DMV???? I'm always leery when the websites say CARB Approved. Sometimes that's only green or red sticker for dirt.....but they don't tell you that.
when I spoke with the rep at saferwholesale they said yes, it is able to be registered for on road use in California.
I just need to fill out a REG 343 form and bring it along with my MSO

I'll update any issues with DMV bureaucracy

text from dmv website*

When a new vehicle is sold by other than a California dealer and the vehicle has never been registered or titled in any state or country, the following are required:
  • A properly completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
  • The Manufacturer's Certificate/Statement of Origin (MCO/MSO) properly endorsed to the purchaser. Bills of Sale are acceptable in lieu of endorsement(s) on the MCO/MSO.
  • A vehicle verification, unless the vehicle qualifies for a verification exception (see below).
  • Weight Certificate for a commercial vehicles less than 10, 001 pounds unladen.
  • If the vehicle weights 10,000 lbs or more, or is a trailer in the PTI program, the estimated unladen weight is required and may be shown on a Statement of Facts (REG 256).
  • Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (REG 4008).
  • Completed and signed by the owner for a commercial vehicle weighing 6001 pounds or more unladen (not required for pickups).
  • A smog certification, if appropriate.
  • The fees due from date of first use in California.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #22

Dude:

If you are still feeling the 'pebbles' from the front wheel, try propping the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground. With the wheel free to rotate, turn the whee, and feel for roughness in the bearings. If the bearings got damaged, such as by being assembled w/o lube, or by impact(no idea where), you might feel a grating and rough bearing as you turn the whee. If so, replacement bearings are the likely solution. You may be able to get them from Ace Hardware, Fastenal, etc, Fastenal will ship to a local store at very low cost, and they have many sizes in stock. The rim could have runout in both radial and lateral directions, but you would again have to get it off the ground, set up a fixed pointer, and spin it while watching for variance in the gap between rim and pointer. A filled can(soup or a peanut butter jar filled with water can act as a stable base, and a pencil and masking tape can hold the pointer pretty well at low cost. If you have radial or lateral runout, you can 'true' the wheel by adjusting spoke tension. It is not hard, but you have to get a feel for it.
I always wanted a honda 90 or even a 50, and getting a 125 with the same classic appearance is appealing. Unless you do a lot of heavy braking, the drum brakes should be totally adequate, IMO.
Has that been your experience? From what I have read, this is the same engine as on the other BD125-xx Grom type machines. Is it reputed to be pretty decent, or would it be better to keep looking? I am pretty mechanically inclined, so have no maintenance fears except parts sources.
Also check that the tire pressure is good. That designe tread will tend to ripple or warp if the pressure is low, and the longish blocks of tread will tend to wear the front edge and get all rippled if the pressure is not kept up. That can give buzzy feeling also.
Would you buy it again?
tom

Old 01-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
While I don't have a BoomCat 125, my Venom x22 (BD 125-11 in light disguise) runs the EXACT same engine. The inspector could barely be kept awake when he was registering my bike. He wrote down it was a CBR125. I told him it was a Chinese knock-off of a CBR. He acknowledged me, but when I got my pink in the mail, it read as a CBR125!
Anyways, my bike w/ this EXACT engine passed inspection w/ flying colors! I don't believe the BoomCat would pose any problem.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:47 PM   #24

I believe Im going to order one of these. By time I restore my Honda Cl70 I'll be way more into it money wise.

This thing is setup for 12v with everything needed. I'll just register it then pop in my ZS190 engine. Lol

Hey dudemantia, could you see what the distance is between the engine head to the front tire fender.

Also how are the brakes at stopping? I know drums aren't the best.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I believe Im going to order one of these. By time I restore my Honda Cl70 I'll be way more into it money wise.

This thing is setup for 12v with everything needed. I'll just register it then pop in my ZS190 engine. Lol

Hey dudemantia, could you see what the distance is between the engine head to the front tire fender.

Also how are the brakes at stopping? I know drums aren't the best.
Contact Pete at Kronik Racing in Simi Valley, Cal. for a few reasons. First he is a very good dealer. Second, he is very knowledgeable about Chinese horizontal thumpers since Kronik was originally primarily a pit bike race shop and then he started selling the Baodiao/Boom lineup. Third, he has low prices. Fourth, parts. He has replacement parts all day long, and being in and out of Boom's warehouse a few times a week can obtain MORE parts. Last, as far as performance parts go, he has them and knows what works. If you research Kronik Racing, you will find nothing but good things written about him.

Www.kronikracing.com

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #26

I wish I could order it as a rolling chassis. The stock engine is a waste. Im pretty sure I dont need it to register for road use here in Texas.

Im gonna be honest, who ever has the best price is who I'll order from. These bikes are a quarter on the dollar. Its not worth $1300 so I'll play the waiting game.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:26 PM   #27

Wife bought me one for Christmas. No issues registering it in Michigan. It comes with an un-signed Cert of Origin so make sure you get a signed one. Had to replace the carb with a different PZ20 from Amazon and it runs great now. Also took off all the extra EGR/PAIR stuff or whatever it's called and pulled out the old air intake filter box and just used the cone filter that came with the carb.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #28

After having the bike for a bit, do you think that its a good buy?

Old 03-31-2020, 07:07 PM   #29

I haven't had a chance to really ride it yet because of the weather but seemed ok around the neighborhood. I added CL70 fork boots and made it look a little better. I also put the original carb and air system back on because i didn't have a good way to vent the tank. Not sure why, but idles a lot better now, but did notice there is no fuel/air adjustment on the carb - only the idle adjustment. I would say it's pretty decent for the price at $1099.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #30

Have one on order from Amazon of all places, has anyone tried to mount a saddle bag on the bike and if so any difficulties?