Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #1

20,000 Milestone: Malad and Arbon Valleys, Idaho

In the last week of October 2009, my Zong reached 20,000 miles on the odometer; I was taking one of my favorite rides into the Malad Valley, and the mountains northwest of Malad, Idaho.

Entering the Malad Valley from the north, you ride gravel roads that follow one route of the famous Oregon Trail. Hudspeth’s Cutoff was an alternate route used from 1849-1859, and it was particularly popular with those travelers who were heading south to California.

Traveling south, the Malad Valley opens up with beautiful views of the Daniels Reservoir, and the mountain ranges to the east and west. Riding farther south, a number of trails lead west, into the mountains. On this day I choose to ride west into John Evans Canyon. Reaching the top of the mountains I was rewarded with a panoramic view of the Arbon Valley, to the west.

Continuing farther south, I visited several other summits. I paused to take a few pictures at the last summit, before I began my descent.

]

Descending into the valley, the mountain trail becomes a gravel road, which still provides beautiful views to the south.

Reaching the bottom of the mountain, I took the paved road west, from Malad to Holbrook. I paused to take a photograph as my odometer reached 20,000 miles.

Traveling north, up the Arbon Valley, the setting sun brought colder temperatures. Content with another beautiful ride in Idaho’s mountains, I paused for one last, chilly photograph, before I headed home.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-08-2009, 01:20 AM   #2

Great pics Spud. If anyone's ever gotten his money's worth out of a bike, it's you!

Zongs are good machines, I look forward to maybe getting mine back. :(

BTW, I had an 1996 XR 250L for many years. Used it as a street commuter and a dirt bike, like you use the Zong. I took good care of it and it went 26,000 miles before cracking the head and needing a rebuild.

So, as I see it, after 6,000 more miles you'd have gotten as much use as I did, out of an XR, which is universally recognized as one of the most reliable bikes ever made!

Old 11-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Great pics Spud. If anyone's ever gotten his money's worth out of a bike, it's you!

Zongs are good machines, I look forward to maybe getting mine back. :( ...
Thank you, Doc. Indeed, the Zong is a great little motorcycle! I am very pleased to know you have joined the Cult of the Zong! I hope you get your Zong back with only minor damage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
...BTW, I had an 1996 XR 250L for many years. Used it as a street commuter and a dirt bike, like you use the Zong. I took good care of it and it went 26,000 miles before cracking the head and needing a rebuild.

So, as I see it, after 6,000 more miles you'd have gotten as much use as I did, out of an XR, which is universally recognized as one of the most reliable bikes ever made!
My Zong has proven to be a very reliable, highly enjoyable motorcycle; I am very glad I bought it! I will continue to change the oil, adjust the valve clearances, and keep my fingers crossed.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #4

Spud, I think that puts your bike as one of the highest mileage china bikes out there.

Great pics again. Lets see 30K by spring.

Allen

Old 11-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Spud, I think that puts your bike as one of the highest mileage china bikes out there.

Great pics again. Lets see 30K by spring.

Allen
Thank you, Allen. The odometer is close to 21,000 miles right now. However, with the arrival of the colder weather in Idaho, I don't think I will get to 30K by Spring.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220