Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #1

USA Registration...State by State Issues.

To All USA Citizens

Quote:
I had been avoiding a dedicated forum for this topic since it's primarily a US issue (Each state seems like its own small country - go figure). However, since ~75% of the visitors originate in the US it only makes sense.{From Frostbite}
The Federal Government in the USA, the DOT [Department of Transportation} only regulate the Safety Portion of Road Worthy vehicles that come into this country and what road worthy means. Basically certain parts of any vehicle must meet DOT regulations to become road worthy.

The EPA {Environmental Protection Agency} Regulates weather a certain group/size of vehicles engines meet their specifications to come into this country. They must Pass EPA regulations to enter.

Each State in the Union makes it's own laws weather a vehicle is Street Legal or not and what the vehicle needs to become street legal. The Federal Government will not step in on this issue due to the fact of what is written in the constitution for each State. Each State is has it's own Government, therefore every State in The Union makes it's own laws on what is street worthy and what makes the vehicle street worthy.

My Suggestion to anyone that is looking at purchasing a vehicle from the internet, is to First GO to {not call} your local BMV Office and find out exactly what You will need to register the vehicle at that Office. Talk to the head person in charge of the office first, this person is responsible for knowing the laws. Don't talk to a counter person at the office as they are not usually enhanced enough to know all of the laws. Remember each any every office in Your State may not have the same answers, because this also goes by Jurisdiction in each State.

Buying from the internet can be a headache. You, the Buyer Must be Responsible. It is up to You to find out if you are going to get all of the correct paperwork from the seller. Yes there are a lot of internet sellers that are out there for the quick buck and will lie their pants off, on the other hand there are a few that do care and have a conscience that will go the extra mile to provide with all of the correct paperwork to register your vehicle, except what you are responsible for.

I hope that this helps and I will update it as needed.

Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 02-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
sadly, this should be common knowledge, but with the way information can be found on the net, it has made everyone even more lazy then normal

i know i am, why bother wasting gas and time i dont have when i can just ask bruce what i need to do

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #3

50 state registration information.

This site can get details on motorcycle registration in your particular state as well as links to state websites.

http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/other-vehicles.php

NET

Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #4

My recommendation would always be to purchase from a licensed motor vehicle dealer in your state. They should handle the reg for you, and it should be no problem. If they want to hand you an MSO, then they are likely not a licensed motor vehicle dealer in your state, and you should consider purchasing elsewhere.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #5

Hi Fresnomotorsports

That all depends, there are a couple States that The Dealer does give the MCO to the customer and the customer goes to the DMV and gets the title. .....Indiana is just one State that registers titles this way, a friend of mine {Cycle Analist} is a Dealer in Indiana that told me this.
http://www.cycle-analyst.com/

Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 08-10-2007, 02:57 AM   #6

For Tenessee:
http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/vehicle/index.htm
http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/veh...ortedmoped.htm

The second link states you need an HS-7, don't worry about it, apparently it's something the manufaturer and the state works out. You will need the bill of sale and MSO/MCO, without them no tags or registration! Nothing needs to be Notorized though, TN did away with that several years ago.
Also, for most of Tennessee, you can plate a dirt bike, you need a headlight and a tail/stop light. Turn signals and horn are optional. The larger metro areas like Memphis and Nashville are more strict and I think they have inspections and I think have their own requirements.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 PM   #7

Im going to dig deeper in PA tomorrow

Im going to try to find someone woh really knows what gives. Im going to the source for help. Lots of nice china DP bikes out there but if you can't title them, well why bother!! :roll:

Old 08-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #8

Follow up on registration for china bike in PA

I was told in PA by a notary place you need to purchase your bike from an in state dealer in PA so he can actually sign the MSO or MCO. Whether this holds true or not I don't know. The information was sketchy at best they being unsure. I talked to a former motorcycle dealer in PA as well as a notary.

They were not fond of china bikes or quads, they said they had a lot of electrical issues as well as issues with parts availability, and bolts breaking, such as the swing arm bolts.

I know they have nothing to gain bashing china bikes, but they were telling me about the issues that people who were looking for parts had.

These people in turn seeked them out in an effort to try to find parts.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:30 PM   #9

Florida wants cc's

The only problem in Florida is the MSO must state the engine rating in CC's - not HP - So ask ahead of time if they can do it for you!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #10

Look before you leap

Before you buy a mail order bike, please look through all the pages under registration issues for any postings that are pertinent to your state. It could save you some $ and aggravation.

NET

Old 11-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #11

PENNSYLVANIA - NEW RULE.

NO VIN'S STARTING WITH "L" !!!

(sorry for yelling)

Link to story :

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews....jsp?id=564901

Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #12

Well, I hope this won't effect bikes already titled and registered. I got mine from out of state and only had minor problems. I can see what they're sayin' bout recalls, parts, warrenties, ect. But these china bikes have been around. We consumers should have the right to buy them and ride'em. I don't see the big deal, almost the same as building your own kit car, but way cheaper. Gotta love the Communistwealth of PA!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wool-Z
Well, I hope this won't effect bikes already titled and registered. I got mine from out of state and only had minor problems...Gotta love the Communistwealth of PA!
Better watch out! The Keystone Computer Cops might be watching :twisted:

Ride safely,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #14

Georgia wants nhtsa label, RPS magician vin number is invalid

Well. its a no go in Georgia now, they want an officer to verify the NHTSA label, My VIN number is invalid according to them and Gieco. TXpowersports was of no help at all. This brand damn new bike is no good to me now, nothing I can do.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #15

Can you do a chargeback on your credit card? The owner of Txpowersports became a member here on chinariders a couple months back; perhaps you can revive one of the threads he posted on, and see if publicly bringing up the issue will get you a refund or a trade.

If worse comes to worse, since the bike(s) (plural bikes being the Magician and Hawk) are EPA certified as off-road, can you at least get a title if Georgia issues titles for off-road only bikes?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard