Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #1

2001 F150 5.4 swap over per request 😉

Weldangrind wanted me to start a thread on my latest project, so here it is so far...

I've always liked the 1997-2002 style of ford f150's, but also have always wanted the super crew cab, as we've had the extended cab version for years, but not quite enough room for 5 or 6 people when traveling a distance. The supercrew cabs, tho, are very expensive. About a month ago, one showed up in Grants Pass Oregon craigslist for 1600$, had 235k miles, a big dent in drivers door, and potentially a bad engine. I offered him 1400$, he accepted. I got it towed home for 275$. Oh, and meanwhile, I'd sold my extended cab to a friend for 2600$.

Once home, I was able to crank it over, and it started! It sounded ok but a little rattly. I changed the oil and took it on a drive. About 11 miles in, oil pressure dropped to 0 and it slowly quit running - seized. My son towed me home with my Jeep. Figure it must have soft seized on PO as well. At this point I'm thinking main bearings or possibly camshafts. But I don't know yet.

Ok, so, Craigslist. Found a 1998 Navigator that had been hit in the side. 161k miles. The owners wanted 300$ for engine, tranny and Xfer case. Already pulled. I realized that mine is the PI engine, but theirs wasn't. So, less horsepower, and some potiential intake manifold swap over issues. I offered them 200$. They accepted. Husband was very happy but the wife was trying to hold out. Truth is, their place was kind of like a wrecking yard, and they were going to move, so I think he would have almost given me the engine at that point.

Ok, home with the engine. Took all accessories off, have lots of spare parts! And got ready for an install.

Currently I'm at the point where truck engine is bare, but since I can't rotate the engine over, I can't remove flex plate bolts. I'm going to pull the heads and then lift engine and remove oil pan. Then, loosen main and rod caps. IF the heads are actually the part that is seized then that will solve the problem with their removal. Actually, just undoing the timing chains will help. IF the heads are still good, I have the option of replacing the non PI heads with them. But probably won't do that.

Also am searching for a junk yard front door, from crew cab, navigator, or expedition. All have same door with small variations on the inside door panel.

That's it for now. Later this week will continue the removal of the engine, in small bits. The truck has seen hard use, and also needs tires, but is from Texas so is rust free. Drives well too, from the 11 miles I got to test it.
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Last edited by Landsvw; 10-15-2016 at 02:58 PM.