Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #1

shipping motorcycle

hey I got a question that's been in my head for a while.

What are exactly the procedure to ship a bike ???
I've never done it but bikes here in the states are way cheaper than back home in Peru so I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a cbr 600 RR for example and ship it to Peru from Miami, FL.

I know I have to pay the shipping company but how they calculate their rates. Do I have to pay a fee at the port in miami or in peru ... I don't know stuff like that.

If anybody already shipped a bike to other countries it be nice if they can tell me their story

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #2

What are exactly the procedure to ship a bike ???

It is not the "shipping" that is the concern. It's getting the thing in the country that is going to make you crazy.

I'm going to assume you are a citizen of Peru, are in the US for an extended period (6 months+), and am going to take home a used motorcycle registered to you (in the US) that you have used for personal transport while in the US. (this is important do not deviate from your story and do not try to ship a 0 miles machine with this story)

I can only suggest you check with your consulate. But be aware, you are usually allowed to return home with "personal property", acquired while abroad, for use while away, "they" (being your government) will do anything they can to capitalize on this situation.

For example: in the 70's I had an extended stay in Britain, while there I bought a Honda Cub (step-through 90), used it and shipped it home. On this end Canada Customs let it in the country only after washing it, and shipping the dirt back to the UK........$500 later I was the proud owner of a Honda Cub worth maybe $800.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #3

I would suggest finding an import/export person in Miami that would be familiar with shipping vehicles to other countries.

Miami is a busy port and I am sure there are plenty to be found. Usually the charge a fee to do the paperwork, but also are bonded and insured for any unforeseen misadventures. They are liable if it is not done right.

I am sure that what reveen has said about shipping a personal item that was used while overseas has some truth in it.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #4

This may help you alittle. I think I would seek the help of an expert.
http://www.expatperu.com/expatforums...opic.php?t=446

Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #5

Well I know for sure that a CBR600RR would be valued in the 10k over in Peru. And yes I'm a peruvian citizen that is here to study. Now, what's the story with the bike beeing wrecked ? Cus I heard a lot of stories for example that if your vehicle had more than a certain % wrecked you payed less taxes and stuff like that.

I figure that the best way since I have no idea where to look is calling DHL, FedEx and all those shipping companies to ask them personaly to give me the best option and best rate they have :P

Unfortunatly I don't own enought stuff to rent a container. That would be a hell lot easier !

Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #6

I shipped mine with United Van lines (the house movers). It sat in their warehouse until they had a container heading this way and was used to "top up" that container. It was cheap.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #7

My best friends parents used to own an air cargo company so I've asked my friend if he still has any contacts......keep in mind they sold out in the 90's but they might still have some contacts in the shipping industry.

Also I had a couple friends that rode down to Argentina a couple summers ago and will ask them. They rode to Panama and then instead of just bypassing the Darien gap, they bypassed Colombia and picked back up in either Ecuador or Peru due to some recent kidnappings in Colombia. Then at the end of the trip they had the bikes shipped back to the states.

I'll pass on the info when I hear from them. May take a couple days.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

My friends replied and said it cost him $600us dollars to ship a BMW650 from Argentina to Nashville. He said he just used a local shipping broker down there and the broker took care of everything. He couldn't remember the name of the broker. Likewise with the shipment of the bikes past the Darien Gap.....they just used a local shipping broker however he didn't mention what that cost. That's all the info I could find. That doesn't help with shipping to Peru but maybe that will help give you a rough estimate what it will cost. Good luck.