Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #16

2LZ, you're the Man for helping her; it's easy for me to plunk away on a keyboard. You're the one driving two hours each way just to help.

Cal, you're the Man for finding the part.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #17

I hope it is the right part. Really dissapointed in Moen though. When I built my house about 12 years ago, I wanted good, quality, name brand fixtures that would stand the test of time and be able to fix if there was a problem. For that reason I chose Moen for every fixture in the house. The kitchen fuacet was about 350 dollars. I havent had any problems yet but when I read this post, the fixture looked very similar to the ones in my shower. I tried looking them up on Moen's web page and sure enough, no support. These things are built into the walls. It's not simple to just replace a tub/shower fixture when it needs attention. I hope you have luck with your friends problem.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #18

On a positive Moen note, I simply walked into the local Rona (very similar to Lowes) and handed them the cartridge for my kitchen faucet. They handed me a new cartridge, an o-ring kit and a new snap cap for the top, all for free. They claim that they'll do that forever.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #19

Cal, I wouldn't be to depressed. After all, this shower valve was installed in 1960. It's withstood 50 years of absolutely horrific well water before it's had any problems. That definitely has to say something about the overall quality of Moen products.....and I also can't help but think if it had a decent quality of water going through it, this may not have happened. I mean, this stuff is BAD! :x

Boy....if her other shower faucet has issues, I'm really up a creek without a paddle. It's a knob, tub spout, diverter and big soap dish, all in one unit. I've never seen one before! 8O

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #20

Remember, if you need to replace a valve, Shark Bite is your friend.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 AM   #21

Well! Thanks to Cal (and tons of input and support, brains knocking together, etc....) as the part arrived tonight!
The nut size is correct and also, the little brass washer she found in the bottom of the tub one morning looks the same! Fingers crossed!
Heading up Friday after work..... Have to shave some of the wall to get my 1" deep well socket on it but I got everything ready. Nothing a little Roto-Zip can't handle. 8)
Since it's so old, I'm thinking I'll put a little wire brush on my Dremel and clean up the joint before I try to untorque it.
Got the torch.....just in case. 8O

I gotta tell ya....every time I go there...it's all about work and I'm usually filthy by the end of the day. It's going to be nice to take a real shower....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #22

I was just rebuilding my Moen kitchen faucet on the weekend and wondering how you're making out. Glad to hear it looks right so far. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #23

Good luck with it!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #24

HAHA! Success! 50 year old Moen shower valve, good as new!

The part I received that Cal pointed me to was a REAL Moen part! Made in USA! (some foreign parts included....it says. Gee! Wonder where!? 8) )

I was impressed! Nice piece of brass....even came with a good quality o-ring so I didn't need any teflon tape!

This is how much water was coming out of the tub spout with the shower on. You can only imagine how little was coming out of the shower nozzle. Basically....you got pee'd on rinsing your hair. 8O

Had to bust out the Roto-Zip to access the diverter.

The new one wasn't the same nut size as the 50 year old one!...so what I brought didn't work! :x Had to dig around in her garage. Found the proper setup to remove the old one....thank the Lord! You prep as much as possible....but with a 2 hour drive in foul weather....you can only anticipate so much.

Had to dig around in the valve and get all the old parts out that rotted off the old diverter.

VIOLA! The new one fit like a glove even though there was a few changes over a half a century!

WOO HOO! In the last 2 years I've been up there helping out, it's NEVER been this good! We may even get clean now!

I'd like to send a special thanks out to everyone who helped get this project completed here at Chinariders! You guys are the best!
Merry Christmas to all!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #25

That's an amazing still shot. What kind of camera do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ
I'm glad to hear that it went well. Another good report for Moen.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:58 AM   #26

Cool glad you got it figured out. Very kind of you to fix it for her, and the guys here to help out I don't know anything about plumbing but I'll have to learn soon, the guy who owned my place before me knew quite a bit less then me, but that didn't stop him from improvising... :roll:

Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #27

Glad you got it working!

Old 12-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's an amazing still shot. What kind of camera do you use?
Nothing fancy! Just an old Casio EX-257. 5 M.P.

2009 Q Link XP 200