Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #1

A 2LZ Story.... Worth the read.

Once again....I wake up and think..."Why?"
Not the kinda "Why?", like when your doctor or accountant tells you someting you don't want to hear.
I'm talking about the type of "Why?" that accompanies those special times in life.....when your 'significant other' is expecting something.....possibly even BIG!

Mine?......(I can say this publically....safely)....coming up this February 13th....the Lovely and Gracious Mrs 2LZ turns....(drum roll please)....50!
Do you know what that means? Not yer normal gathering.....she didn't even want one! She says......

"Honey....don't go overboard. (first red flag) It's not a big deal.... (second red flag)....but I don't want the normal party here at the house, (like mine was). Can we go somewhere or do somthing instead?"

Do you have any idea how WIDE OPEN the ball field just got!? I have the internet (thankfully limited funds) at my grasp! Will she hate it!? Will she like it!? Will she trade me in with the aluminum when it's all said and done!?

This pressure started about mid-November. Luckily....she gave me tons of warning. Of course....I told everyone I work with about my dilemna....and started gathering ideas.

Snow Train up to Truckee? Maybe.....I checked it out.
Bed and Breakfast on the coast? I gotta credit card!
Many options followed.... I can always pay the card off over a few months, right? I mean...it's her 50th birthday and she's dealt with my guff for quite a while!!

Then.....one morning a few weeks ago....I'm getting ready for work and I hear Eric Clapton in the background. I hear her sigh...."I'd LOVE to see him......" It was an advertizement. He's coming to town! My lame 'husband ears' caught that from the other room! I was kinda proud, actually.

Long story short...I was online at 10:00am when they went on sale and landed two tickets at 10:04!

Then!.....I arranged a nice day out in Old Sacramento.......wandering Front Street on the river....The Delta King river boat....old bars and shops.....then.....to Arco Arena for the concert that evening.
Mind you.....I landed first balcony, middle, front row. Nothing between us and the stage but a railing. This was gonna ROCK!

Then....I booked a night at the Regency next to the arena so we didn't have to drive....go to the bar....and do what adults do for the evening.
It couldn't have fallen together better!

The tickets came in the mail....stashed them in an old motorcycle boot, top shelf. They're safe there....I'm SET!

Did I mention the concert is on Thursday, March 3rd? I was going to give them to her on the 'party she didn't want that everyone else insists on having' on her birthday weekend.

End result.....last weekend. We're at my neighbors across the street....enjoying a few adult beverages around his outdoor fire pit.

Mrs 2LZ walks across and says, "I'm SOOOOOOO excited! I just talked to dad! Honey!? Dad's talking about working the Iditarod again this year! It's a last hooray for Joe and Norma! (They've hosted the Skwentna checkpoint for decades) They want a HUGE reunion! Its gonna be great!"

I said, "Well of course! Go! We'll handle the cost! It's such a special time for you! (Her and her dad love to volunteer for the race) When are you leaving!?"

She says....."We fly out Wednesday March 2nd!"

Oh boy..............

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #2

Major facepalm!

I mulled it over, and I've got nothing. It's probably of little consolation that such things happen to me when I try to plan stuff.

If you talk to her Dad, he might tell her that he changed his mind, but then they'd both miss the race. You can come clean and tell her about Clapton, but then she'll feel torn. This sucks. Maybe you can turn the race event into something special.

You could always sell the tickets and start over...

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #3

How about some plumbing advice instead?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #4

I would tell her to go to the race and sell the tickets. Time with Dad is probably limited.

You can tell her about the tickets after she gets back. Eric Clapton will be playing again someplace.

Make sure she doesn't throw out the old motorcycle boot in the meantime.