Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2017, 03:57 AM   #1

Obama and Cuba

I don't keep up with the news and am pretty ignorant of government function and foreign policies so please ignore my ignorance.

Why did Obama shut down political refugee status to Cubans and is that in line with what's granted to people of other countries? I thought that was a policy here, that we grant protection to people from communist/dictatorship countries. I wonder if it's connected to his lifting the embargo. (?) Now that the country is good enough to trade with it's also good enough to live in and therefore nobody should need to leave? Is it a logical move or is he possibly so childish that he just wanted to put some more poop in the bag before handing it off to Trump?

Old 01-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

I disagree with a lot of his policies, going on 8 years now, but with us making up with Cuba, including reopening up our embassy in Havana, there is no reason for the people having to 'sneak' in now.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
including reopening up our embassy in Havana, there is no reason for the people having to 'sneak' in now.
Hadn't even considered that.

Hopefully the people are actually allowed to go there without issues and the embassy staff actually helps people get out. I can envision guards outside dissuading people from entering. Even if people get the proper papers they still need a way to the US, no idea if the Cuban government is going to allow people to get transport. How the people wanting to leave will be treated once they start the process is also unknown.

Trying to sneak out used to be a potential death sentence, usually just prison I think. Not sure how it is these days. Filing for permission to leave meant you were basically a traitor, there's a better word not coming to mind, and were treated like shit. When my parents filed my dad was sent to a work camp for a couple years. I think that's also when they lost their home, but it may have already happened. When our day came up there was very little notice, get your asses to the airport right now or your plane leaves without you and you start all over. We were allowed to take nothing but the clothes on our bodies.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

Quote:
including reopening up our embassy in Havana, there is no reason for the people having to 'sneak' in now.
Hadn't even considered that.

Hopefully the people are actually allowed to go there without issues and the embassy staff actually helps people get out. I can envision guards outside dissuading people from entering. Even if people get the proper papers they still need a way to the US, no idea if the Cuban government is going to allow people to get transport. How the people wanting to leave will be treated once they start the process is also unknown.

Trying to sneak out used to be a potential death sentence, usually just prison I think. Not sure how it is these days. Filing for permission to leave meant you were basically a traitor, there's a better word not coming to mind, and were treated like shit. When my parents filed my dad was sent to a work camp for a couple years. I think that's also when they lost their home, but it may have already happened. When our day came up there was very little notice, get your asses to the airport right now or your plane leaves without you and you start all over. We were allowed to take only the clothes on our bodies. This was in 1971 so I assume things have changed some.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #5

When we lived in Chicago, I had a classmate, and my older sister had my classmate's older sister in her class, who were born in Chicago, but children of Cuban immigrants. My sister still keeps in touch with her friend, but sadly, I have lost touch with my old friend.

I never heard the story of their parents until this past Christmas when I went to visit my parents. My mom told me my friend's mother was in college with Raul Castro, and knew Fidel personally because of this (as colleagues because of her being in Castro's brother's class). I am guessing the university was small enough? A few weeks after they graduated, my friend's mother and father got married. Fidel Castro saw them in the central marketplace after their ceremony dressed up for the wedding and congratulated them both, and bought them a large gift basket. Little did he know, they were in the works to leave Cuba for good, and for obvious reasons they dared not tell him, LOL.

They made their way to Chicago where they still live.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
my friend's mother was in college with Raul Castro, and knew Fidel personally
Damn, a missed opportunity to rid the planet of both those Aholes.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #7

If they only knew then what we all know now...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150