Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2024, 05:47 PM   #1

Templar 250 X stuff that doesn't work.

This exhaust. https://www.amazon.com/Full-Slip-Exh...7MGCQZW7&psc=1

I didn't buy it there, I got one like 75% off at a local auction. The primary coming off the head U-turns right into the frame down tube.

Hammer there was needed to convince the stock pipe to slide forward in the frame without taking a lot of stuff loose. It comes out. For some reason the welds on the midship pipe mount snapped right off the pipe. Even before I hit anything. Takes a some gentle bonks to go back in too. Even after I tweaked it a smidge in a vise. I didn't want to distort it too much, I was afraid of losing my seal at the head.

The idea was was to replace the converter with that lead pipe. Turned out to be unnecessary as the insides of the converter accidentally fell out after I cut the pipe open. Ignore the guilty looking bigass drill bits there, they had nothing to do with it officer, I swear.

I was told stainless would be awful to weld but it wasn't. Anticipating I might make a mess off that AND lose my heat shield I had ordered some pipe wrap. Even though my welds weren't shameful I used it anyway. Midship bracket Migged back on just fine, original looked Tigged but that's not in my skill set. Apparently not so much for the original fella at the factory either.

So since there is already someone on here trying to sell one of these exhaust pipe setups, I figured I had little to lose. Not at all obvious in the pictures of it but right about at the midship bracket the pipe bells out to a larger diameter. This means the muffler won't swap onto the stock pipe, the inlet is way too big. So I ground off the bracket and cut the bell part out. Stuck it in the muffler and wrangled things around until it actually fit pretty well. Not quite wanting to weld that rig up yet, I used high temp RTV to seal it. If I like it long term I might revisit with some welds and better fitment. Neither the stock muffler spring not the newer one is now long enough. Leaving that off for now, everything seems pretty solid without it.

(Took a few to find where that other heat shield bolt rolled away to.)

So the muffler part of it kinda sorta fits. Louder than stock, Yet to road test it. Maybe it won't fall off.

Second thing that doesn't work. Ignition module. Got it off Aliexpress if I remember right. Thought since I had the seat off it was a good time. Popped the ignition fuse as soon as I turned the key on. Yep, wrong one. Didn't need it anyway, I was just going to fiddle with the base advance for the heckuvit.

[img]

Old 04-15-2024, 07:29 PM   #2

That Naraku variable advance CDI is for the original 5 speed version of the Temp X. It changed with the advent of the 6 speed, not 6 months into the model, before the first year was even over!

Confusing AC versus DC change:

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...35&postcount=9

Old 04-15-2024, 08:01 PM   #3

As soon it it popped the fuse I knew I had wasted a couple of dollars there.

Now every time you do a mod you've spent time, money, and work on you are ready to swear it makes more power. Just human nature. But after work I got it out and beat on it a bit and sure believe it feels at least a little more peppy, especially when banging through the gears. Not super pleased with the noise I make doing it but I can live with it if the neighbors can.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:20 PM   #4

OK I swear it will pull the front wheel up just a bit easier. Nice.

Pulled into work this morning and a younger co-worker said "Oh yeah, It's definitely louder!" Not broke teenager with a hacksaw loud and he said he liked it. Still not sure, the stock muffler could be put back on VERY easily.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:01 PM   #5

Took the long way home. Damn this thing is fun to ride!

Old 04-17-2024, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Took the long way home. Damn this thing is fun to ride!

I sure am glad I saw this post Gypsy. I was considering one of those pipes. I guess I'll just fix mine. My amidship bracket has broken off just like yours. I have to go into town this afternoon, I may try and stop at the welding shop for some SS rod. Thanks for the heads up.

Have you done your seat yet?

Old 04-17-2024, 06:49 PM   #7

Nope. Been eyeing the heck out of it. Bought an air stapler and some shortie staples. Kind of putting it off until a second set of hands wanders by. I haven't done exactly a seat like this before but I've done enough other stuff I'm pretty sure I want two hands on the material and a third on the stapler.

BTW, I have some stainless MIG wire but it's a bit large. Plus I was lazy and didn't want to change over. So I've welded mine up with 75/25 gas and regular .023 wire. Proper and correct? No, but it seems to have worked. So far at least. I think I'm the opposite of most welders in that I feel I am better on thin materials than I am the thicker stuff. No doubt that helped me. These pipes are very thin.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Nope. Been eyeing the heck out of it. Bought an air stapler and some shortie staples. Kind of putting it off until a second set of hands wanders by. I haven't done exactly a seat like this before but I've done enough other stuff I'm pretty sure I want two hands on the material and a third on the stapler.

BTW, I have some stainless MIG wire but it's a bit large. Plus I was lazy and didn't want to change over. So I've welded mine up with 75/25 gas and regular .023 wire. Proper and correct? No, but it seems to have worked. So far at least. I think I'm the opposite of most welders in that I feel I am better on thin materials than I am the thicker stuff. No doubt that helped me. These pipes are very thin.

I have a fair bit of practice welding thin tube with gas. So I'll probably try that with some tig filler. I've done 4130 work on aircraft fuselages. You can stick some SS with regular wire. 304 I think is one. The weld won't have the same corrosion resistance as the parent metal, but it won't fall off.

I would definitely advise a second pair of hands when tackling the seat. It is a handful for one man.