Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #1

For rough trails Apollo 250 or Hawk 250?

Hi. I am looking to buy either the Apollo or the Hawk, and would like some opinions and advise. I primarily want the bike for rough country in north Idaho. So which do you think is the better choice?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #2

I would think the Apollo is the better choice because you are less likely to break stuff since the Hawk has street equipment which is likely to fall off. That being said, the headlight, and to a lesser extent, the taillight, might be good to have out in the middle of nowhere, not to mention you could register the Hawk to ride on roads to get to the rough stuff. But, it is geared like a dirt bike

But, again, the Apollo is a pure dirt bike. Not sure if you are near member 'Slayder' but he recently started a thread about his Apollo, and he lives in Idaho:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17384

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I would think the Apollo is the better choice because you are less likely to break stuff since the Hawk has street equipment which is likely to fall off. That being said, the headlight, and to a lesser extent, the taillight, might be good to have out in the middle of nowhere, not to mention you could register the Hawk to ride on roads to get to the rough stuff. But, it is geared like a dirt bike

But, again, the Apollo is a pure dirt bike. Not sure if you are near member 'Slayder' but he recently started a thread about his Apollo, and he lives in Idaho:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17384
A plus on the Apollo is that it has a "Pro-Link" type rear suspension. The Hawk uses a coil/shock unit working directly on the swing-arm cross piece.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I think the apollo may just be the one for me. I am also thinking that since they are so affordable I may just get one of each. The Apollo to me does look tougher, like it is heavier built, but I have never owned one so I dont know. The Apollo looks like it may have higher clearance.

My friends keep telling me to not buy a Chinese made bike, they are junk and so on. From what I have seen on youtube so far they seem to be fine to me. MotoCheez has lots of video on the Hawk n says they are good.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom3D View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think the apollo may just be the one for me. I am also thinking that since they are so affordable I may just get one of each. The Apollo to me does look tougher, like it is heavier built, but I have never owned one so I dont know. The Apollo looks like it may have higher clearance.

My friends keep telling me to not buy a Chinese made bike, they are junk and so on. From what I have seen on youtube so far they seem to be fine to me. MotoCheez has lots of video on the Hawk n says they are good.
I can't begin to tell you how far the China Bikes have come in the last decade. I worked on a pair of little ones for a buddy of mine about 10 years ago and they were truly junk. The motors were good, but everything else sucked. China has always done a good job on the motors that I've had experience with. It was the triple trees, suspension, levers, brakes, rubber, and everything else. They RAN...but didn't do anything well. Now a days? You still may have to change a little rubber and give them a little TLC but the "value vs. cost" has skyrocketed.

The Hawks, Storms, TT250's and others are nice products. I think the Apollo has a different frame than the Hawk. Cast, more like the RX3 frame. The Hawk is about the best 2 wheeled bang for the buck on the planet that's streetable and the Apollo looks like it can take a beating.

This thread pretty much covers your concerns about CB's and puts a lot in perspective compared to the Japanese equivalent.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...ht=perspective

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-11-2016, 12:06 AM   #6

I have a hawk fun little bike and I put 1700 miles on the it and have beat it. We I rode 100 mile singe track in the mountains in montana had it so hot thought it was going to blow up but it made it and back still going strong wish the hawk had better suspension but can't complain about any thing else good luck

Old 09-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #7

These motors would probably run with diet coke in the crankcase. (Talk about blowing bubbles)
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~