Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2024, 07:55 AM   #1

Wink Templar 250.. Pull behind trailer!?

So I like to think outside the box when possible and I also like to take stuff to the limits. I like to ride around and explore but I also have to work and do estimates for my mobile welding business. So I thought why not make a small light pull behind so that when I get a call I could hook a trailer onto it to hold my welder and hand tools.

So this is what I found..
It weights under 100lbs yet it is rated to carry 1,500lbs!!! The bed is 4.6 feet so there will be plenty of room for anything I would ever need to put in it. My welder only weights about 40lbs and then I have about 30lbs of cords and tools exc for a total of under 200lbs of weight including trailer.

I need help designing a basic hitch system. I have never had a pull behind on a motorcycle so I don't know how they typically connect but it looks like they usually connect to the swing arm. Again I am a welder so I can weld up some kind of small coupler to the back of the swingarm but I need a basic design that is lightweight and easy to connect yet strong enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240209_104151_Chrome.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	682.1 KB
ID:	30803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240209_104138_Chrome.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	642.3 KB
ID:	30804  

Old 02-12-2024, 08:26 AM   #2

It sounds like you are intending to pull that trailer down the road ?if so ,I think that trailer will not have high speed bearings and will not work for very long at all .I have a trailer just like that one ,and it does not have descent bearings ,just press in junk like a hand cart .I will say that I put my Miller Bluestar gas powered welder in that trailer and it handles it like a dream at my camp ,and my welder is much heavier than yours and I have 100’ of 4/0 cable on it .

Old 02-12-2024, 10:21 AM   #3

As long as you didn't mind going snail slow and had lower geared sprockets, I guess a 250 would pull that. BUT, you have to stop. Knowing how any loaded trailer "pushes" the vehicle pulling it when stopping I'd give it a hell no. You're gonna need a bigger boat..err, bike!

Old 02-12-2024, 11:48 AM   #4

It's a good point that the trailer will develop inertia, and a 300lb motorcycle with a 200lb driver = 500 lbs. You might want to focus on a motorcycle trailer like this. It has high speed bearings, and 600lb capacity. But keep the cargo load down so that the trailer doesn't outweigh the tow vehicle!

Click image for larger version

Name:	motoTrailer.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	30806

Old 02-12-2024, 03:35 PM   #5

I have seen many large bikes (Gold Wings, Harleys, BMWs) pulling trailers but will echo the concerns about a trailer that, in this case, likely will be more than half the bike/rider combination. I would be concerned about the trailer pushing the bike/rider when stopping and cornering. Kinda like the tail wagging the dog. Some of that can be compensated for by the rider being very careful under normal conditions but as riders we all know normal conditions rarely remain "normal" for long.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:44 PM   #6

I don't think you want to connect it to the swing arm. Too much movement up and down, which will cause weird handling issues. You need some kind of connection coming off the frame, and probably a u-joint. Do some research on how trailers are attached to touring bikes, which are a lot heavier than your bike, therefore more stable and have larger brakes.

For the trailer itself, I'd suggest the smallest Harbor Freight trailer:
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ler-62665.html
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 02-12-2024, 06:51 PM   #7

https://bushtec.com/blogs/posts/simp...ler-motorcycle
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:58 PM   #8

I completely understand all the aspects and challenges of pull behind trailers on motorcycles. But the two trailers you guys suggested at both DOUBBLE the weight of the trailer I picked out and also smaller at the same time. The trailer I picked out is only 100 pounds.

Also I really need to figure out a mounting/hitch system. That is what I am looking for help with. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2024, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake2431 View Post
I completely understand all the aspects and challenges of pull behind trailers on motorcycles. But the two trailers you guys suggested at both DOUBBLE the weight of the trailer I picked out and also smaller at the same time. The trailer I picked out is only 100 pounds.

Also I really need to figure out a mounting/hitch system. That is what I am looking for help with. Thanks!
You may know about welding but you seem to lack knowledge about heat, friction and the law.

The trailer you are focused on is illegal to put on the road behind a vehicle. It is a utility cart made to be pulled by a lawn tractor, and the bearings will burn out the first ten miles down a road at 40mph. You will be launching wheels and axles into oncoming traffic.

That is the reason for the weight on the trailers being recommended. It is a by product of the road safety requirement which requires DOT approved tires, a safe axle, bearings, wheels, wiring, lights and turn signals.

As for a "hitch setup", that is not all that complicated. You weld an extension to the frame and attach a connecting device. It can be incredibly complicated such as the ones in the EU, or as simple as a pintle hook and loop like the military uses.

I believe that U-Haul might have the small motorcycle hitch balls available. Not sure where to get the trailer side of the small hookup. Otherwise I would check with an Indian, Honda Goldwing or Harley dealer.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:54 PM   #10

Agree with TominMO on the trailer choice, used one for over ten years camping in my younger days. I've made hitches using flat 1 1/2"x 1/4" strap for the main beam, bolted to footpeg brackets and support straps 1 1/2"x 1/4" bolted around the seat/signal area down to main strap. Make a small rear plate for the ball or a vertical post on which a rod end from the trailer is slipped over. Make sure the trailer wheel bearings are actually bearings and not bushings. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
You may know about welding but you seem to lack knowledge about heat, friction and the law.

Maybe I wasn't clear about the trailer. I was not intending to run it in completely stock form. When you can weld and do simple fabrication you can easily upgrade bearings. I was buying the trailer for the main structure. That does not mean I would nessisarily keep the bearings that came on it if they were shown to be a weak inappropriate. You can't expect me to build a custom hitch mount and keep the trailer unmodified if there were weak points. About the legality I don't think there is any specific law that says the trailer would be illegal to use. If you can find the specific law I would like to read it. Because you can piece together just about any trailer and use it on the road. They are so relaxed in my state you don't even need lights on it and they don't even need to be registered even or have plates!!

Also another thing I might not have been clear about was that this was not something I was going to use on a regular dialy basis. This was soothing to be used every once in a while.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:05 AM   #12

This is an interesting project! Please post some pics and updates as you progress.
GasGas TXT 125

Old 02-13-2024, 06:16 AM   #13

I like the low profile of this one
https://www.northerntool.com/product...capacity-57762

It needs no modification other than your custom welder support, has wheels and bearings made for the road, and it will come with a trailer certificate of origin so it won't need any inspection for registering and plating. It is a little heavy, but you are talking about maybe 100 pounds of cargo, so gross weight will be under 300lbs. The low profile and weight should make it pretty stable.

The dumpcart you posted at the top seems OK to me. The wheel bearings are typical dolly or hand truck bearings. You may be able to replace them eventually with high speed bearings that actually fit as direct replacements.

The only big problem I see is lack of suspension. It will bounce dangerously on anomalies, potholes, bumps. You'll need to get trailer lights and wire it as well. Regarding plates, I don't know what you are facing there. You may need inspection/approval from highway patrol/state police. That's how they do it around here.

Last edited by Thumper; 02-13-2024 at 07:05 AM.

Old 02-13-2024, 07:12 AM   #14

One other comment. All of the trailers suggested have one real consequence. Intersections will be white knuckles. If you have to stop fast, I think you are going down.

The motorcycles that typically haul trailers weigh over 400 kilos and have grippy road tires, with three hefty disk brakes. A dirt bike/Enduro doesn't have the traction, stiffness, suspension needed to safely stop a trailer fast.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:15 AM   #15

From the reference in post #7:
"Only pull a trailer that weighs lower than 20% of your total weight (vehicle + riders + gear). The actual weight of the trailer must be lower than the curb weight of the motorbike."

Even the Harbor Freight trailer I recommended is 150 lbs. With say 450 lbs of bike + rider, that's 33% of the total, on a light bike with brakes engineered for non-trailer use. Add the trailer + 70 lbs of cargo, and you have 670 lbs total. Even if the trailer weighed only 80 lbs, it's still 600 lbs total, with a physics wild card attached to the back of the bike.

My conclusion is that this is a bad idea overall. You get credit for thinking outside the box, but not all ideas should be pursued.