Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2021, 10:33 AM   #136

Here is a link to the side mount oil cooler I did on my HAWK completely based on Jerry's installation. He has a video on his website too. Piece of angle iron (bike shipping metal) on the lower engine bolts. I think Jerry now has two of these one on the other side. This is the cooler by the way thought would go good between the engine and frame (couple quick release bolts outa the way for valve adjustment) 4" X 8"X1.75".

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23275

Old 02-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Here is a link to the side mount oil cooler I did on my HAWK completely based on Jerry's installation. He has a video on his website too. Piece of angle iron (bike shipping metal) on the lower engine bolts. I think Jerry now has two of these one on the other side. This is the cooler by the way thought would go good between the engine and frame (couple quick release bolts outa the way for valve adjustment) 4" X 8"X1.75".

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23275
Hi China Rider 27, This will likely be the oil cooler type I plan to use.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32946054886.html?

Will {definitely} order after the bike is running and passed inspection and made street legal...

Ahh I see now, Don't think i'll be going down the angle iron bracket mount.

I probably could just about squeeze it upfront but as I expressed I don't think it will be as effective given the parameters. for me that area is no go zone...

I'm totally fine with the side mount, sorry if it came across as problematic. I just wanted to know how others were attaching it as the kits are all set of for front mounts.

Will have to get those oil feed lines shortened that's for sure.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #138

It makes sense franque, obliviously for production costs in manufacturing using as many of the same parts interchangeably maximizes profitability. Searching for certain parts in the 200/250 often shows no results as its clear now that the 125/150 moniker probably suits all applications that are not effected by stroke/bore.

As an update the rocker cover you linked scratched an itch so to speak, and I inevitably ended up ordering 1 out of curiosity in the hope of making maintenance a little easier...So we'll know for sure is the covers are indeed universal fitment.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:36 PM   #139

Protect ya lid

Today's mail delivery.

My choice was based around safety, cost, colour, weight and comfort of use.

I went and tried on other helmets at my local moto gear emporium.

but ended up purchasing online due to color availability.

I wanted white as its shown to be the safest colour in non snow climates. and cooler in sunny weather (refer to summer temps)

Adventure/Dualsport type ece/dot approved.

Can't afford Japanese makes like Shoei $1k. But didn't want to scrape the bottom of the barrel in terms of safety under $200.

Bell ticked all the boxes with MIPS and less weight. Seems to have a pretty decent reputation and aftermarket support, accessories and replacement parts. $350aud shipped

Snug fit very happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helmet.jpg (60.8 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by XLsior; 02-21-2021 at 08:18 PM.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:43 AM   #140

Rocker Cover Over Under

So the CG125 rocker cover with beveled sides arrived today.

Compared to the Zongshen factory original its definitely slimmed down. and noticeably lighter...so some minor weight reduction benefits.

But the question is can I install it while the engine is mounted in position.

Well...to do so I did indeed have to trim/sand down 1 of the fins on the cover and also grind back about 5mm off the frame as was suggested.

But yes we have "Great Success"

Kinda happy that paid off.

Seeing as I've been hitting a few snags too.

The CnC red throttle also arrived however the specific cable length the seller had shown was not what I received so made a dispute and got a partial refund to cover a new replacement throttle cable the correct length...what a faff. I'll follow up with that when the new cable arrives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chromedome1.jpg (33.8 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Chromedome2.jpg (44.0 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg shavefraome.jpg (30.2 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg wigglein.jpg (43.8 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg itsin.jpg (43.9 KB, 258 views)

Old 03-04-2021, 12:51 AM   #141

Slightly Bigger.

So comparing the covers,

The CG125 does use the same 3 bolt locations but the actual footprint is slightly smaller than the ZS original.

I am wondering if Zongshen might use a proprietary sized gasket.

As I also compared the CG125 "High Quality" gasket with the black ZS gasket.

Well it's confirmed that the CG125 cover does fit a CG250 head.

The new Cover came with a pre installed gasket but not bolts...Something to keep in mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallgasket.jpg (60.3 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg smallfootprint.jpg (36.8 KB, 262 views)

Old 03-04-2021, 01:35 AM   #142

Honestly, for the money the Bell helmets are pretty darn good. I have had my share of expensive Schuberth and Shoei helmets in the past, and this time around I decided to get a more budget friendly helmet, so I picked up a Bell SRT (SNELL rated) and then plonked the money down on one of the transitions face shields. So far I have been nothing but impressed with the comfort and quality of the helmet. It's a tad louder than my Schuberth was, but it also breathes a lot better. The transitions face shield is a nice addition. It doesn't get super dark, but it darkens up more than enough to make riding without needing sunglasses possible.

That valve cover clearance is definitely tight. At least you found a relatively cheap and easy solution to the fitment issue.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-04-2021, 02:45 AM   #143

Glad to see it worked out for you, keep up the good work!

Old 03-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #144

Gratuated licensing / Australian L.A.M.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
It could just be that the rubber shrunk, which can be remedied by dipping the gasket/o-ring in gas, which will cause it to swell. I've never heard of different valve covers for different capacity engines, I think that the thing I linked earlier said CG125/150 because there aren't any CG street/dirt bikes that I know of imported into Europe, ooracing's home market, that come from the factory bigger than a 125.

I think that's because with the graduated licensing system here, you have 50s, 125s, and then 47hp limited (I think like Aus?), and then unlimited.

No one here is jumping from a 125 to a 200, or the '250' of many CGs because it isn't a meaningful step up here.

There's virtually no 200cc motorcycles of any type here, I think largely because of that. I'll do some further research and see if there are differences in the 200 vs 125. I would think that more likely than not the 125-200 are all the same, while the '250' could be different because it uses larger stud spacing for the bigger bore. No sense in having three different specifications of cylinder heads when only two are necessary.
It's a bit Different down here franque,
basically all 4 strokes 250cc and under are learner approved (which is why I chose the xl185/cg250 as a viable learner project bike) however there are also higher displacement up to 650cc power/weight approved bikes that can also be rode on a learner/RE license...DR650 for example. Above 650cc basically needs a higher tier level of license training. The list of LAMS (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) bikes are available to see via the aus.gov website

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/lic...arner-approved

if anyone is interested in how things are done in Australia.Some States allow 50cc scooters/mopeds to be operated on a drivers license but not a motorcycle specific license.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:05 AM   #145

Excellent project

went through every single page totally like it..

- Adventure Touring# RX3 - 2017
- Dirt Machine# FSE-450 - 2022
- Classic# Honda CD175 - 1977
- Daily Runner# 1992 - CG125 (engine swap CB250 Sleeper)
- Project#1 : 1995 - Honda C70 w/ 180cc engine swap

Old 03-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #146

Thanks vickytulla, glad you've enjoyed it all the way up till now. It's been a year so far but it was never a rush project. My home renovations have taken priority and the bikes is just a time filler and healthy distraction.

Good luck with the C70/180cc swap.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:29 PM   #147

Brackets on the Back.

Just sorting out the Muffler and jumbo tool tube attachments.

Used some standard 5mm thick aluminum flat bar and utilized the most appropriate factory frame mount locations.

Switching out hardware to SS allen button heads where applicable.

The jumbo burrito tube (from AliX) was larger than anticipated but does not throw out aesthetic symmetry when balanced with the muffler side. Should be able to hold a fair few tools, spare and emergency fuel.

Thankfully both clear view the rear indicators.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mufflerbracket.jpg (42.7 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg burrotiojumbo.jpg (46.9 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Jumbo2.jpg (34.7 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg Tailend1.jpg (40.7 KB, 192 views)

Old 03-06-2021, 11:12 PM   #148

That the original muffler that came on it?

Old 03-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #149

That is a period correct after market muffler that did come with the bike, It just so happened to meld with the CG250 header with a little welding at the slip fit.

Old 03-07-2021, 02:58 AM   #150

That's a cool old muffler, love it!