Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2015, 01:12 AM   #1

New to me Gio X33

I got this bike awhile ago in a deal that also included an '84 Polaris Indy 600 snowmobile. I traded a '95 Chevy S10 Blazer that i had no use for at the time for the pair. (ironically im buying said Blazer back next week go figure...). Anyways i am not quite sure what year this bike is as the year i listed in my sig is just a guess....So that is one thing i would like to know is there any way to determine the year of the bike? Also what upgrades would you guys recommend for it to get the most enjoyment from it? I also own a Yamaha DT250C dual sport and a Honda VF750F Interceptor sport bike. So this is far from the first bike i have owned...just the first china bike lol. From what i understand thus far a few parts from the Honda CRF line up are compatible with this bike.

Only pic i have of it for now..

'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 05-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #2

year

HELLO.. there should be a plate on the steering coloum that shows the vin and the year... can you tell me what the serial # is on the motor,, that might help as well..remember to keep your air pressure up on the tires especially the rear tire as if it is under inflated you will tear the tube valve stem off when the rim turns on the tire... go to princess auto and get some pressure reading valve caps they show up to 35 psi . the tires are at 40 psi.. let me know the motor serial # thanks

Old 05-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #3

Welcome! I haven't been to Lloyd in a long time.

Please show us more pics, and we can guide you from there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
HELLO.. there should be a plate on the steering coloum that shows the vin and the year... can you tell me what the serial # is on the motor,, that might help as well..remember to keep your air pressure up on the tires especially the rear tire as if it is under inflated you will tear the tube valve stem off when the rim turns on the tire... go to princess auto and get some pressure reading valve caps they show up to 35 psi . the tires are at 40 psi.. let me know the motor serial # thanks
Thanks for the info! I managed to locate the vin plate on the steering neck of the frame as well as the build date. It was built in April 2010 indicating it as a 2010 model. I could not locate the engine number however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome! I haven't been to Lloyd in a long time.

Please show us more pics, and we can guide you from there.
Thanks, i will see what i can do about getting more pics of the bike. As you can see in the pic its parked in front of my old truck, but what is not seen is the other old truck in the driveway, that one makes it a bit interesting in trying to figure out how to get the bike out into an area to take pics of it lol.

Note: one of the first threads i read on here was by someone trying to adapt a pitbike headlight to his X33 and it appears that never got resolved, however the one thing that stuck in my mind about that thread was that the OP mentioned that he had 6v output after installing the regulator. Now my thought is this. My Yamaha DT250C has a 6v negative ground system in it with full lighting. I am just wondering if i couldnt replicate that system on my Gio to have full lighting on the Gio. I also know there are some LED headlights out there that will operate on 6 V of voltage so that is another thought worth considering. If i can manage to pull this off there is a pretty good chance i might be able to plate my Gio as a street legal supermoto style bike where i live.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 05-11-2015, 12:21 AM   #5

I'm gonna need to see those old trucks!

The engine number is near the shifter. We can decipher that for you.

I suspect that your stator puts out 12v, and the wiring for the headlight is likely already in place. It will be a matter of probing until you find it. There are probably some unused connectors in the area where the headlight would be. Do you have a headlight switch?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-11-2015, 01:25 AM   #6

Quote:
I'm gonna need to see those old trucks!

The engine number is near the shifter. We can decipher that for you.

I suspect that your stator puts out 12v, and the wiring for the headlight is likely already in place. It will be a matter of probing until you find it. There are probably some unused connectors in the area where the headlight would be. Do you have a headlight switch?

Thanks for the info as to where the number should be, when i get a chance i will take another look for it. There is no headlight switch on the bike currently but that wouldnt surprise me if there are hidden unused connectors hidden behind the number plate.

This is the old truck thats in the pic with the Gio

It is a 1949 Dodge B1-D 1 ton..the other truck isnt mine but it is an early 70s Dodge W100 Powerwagon club cab short box.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #7

Ok, managed to locate the numbers, it seems i found them in two different places actually...one near the shifter as Weld suggested and on a UPC barcode type sticker on top of the engine casing. With that said here they are..

ZS1P56YMJ
8A40054

I also managed to get a couple more pics of the bike while working on the old Dodge today

This pic shows all 3 bikes together along with the Dodge and my roomates daughters Vw bug.

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #8

ZS - Zongshen
1 - one cylinder
P - horizontal cylinder
56 - cylinder bore
Y - oil cooled
M - motorcycle
J - 150cc

I can't tell from the pics; does it actually have an oil cooler? It is not actually 150cc, but closer to 140. There might be a stamp on the right side of the cylinder that denotes displacement. A 140 in a little bike like that would be a rocket.

I have no idea what the barcode means.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
This is the old truck thats in the pic with the Gio

It is a 1949 Dodge B1-D 1 ton..the other truck isnt mine but it is an early 70s Dodge W100 Powerwagon club cab short box.
Sweet old Dodge! What are your plans with it? Are you going to keep it as a duallie, or change the attitude? I'm loving that split windshield. It looks like it has MB plates; are you going to have to do an out of Province inspection?

Your DT reminds me of an old MX175 I had for awhile. Fun bike.

Is that a Kerker pipe on the Interceptor?

Old 05-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
ZS - Zongshen
1 - one cylinder
P - horizontal cylinder
56 - cylinder bore
Y - oil cooled
M - motorcycle
J - 150cc

I can't tell from the pics; does it actually have an oil cooler? It is not actually 150cc, but closer to 140. There might be a stamp on the right side of the cylinder that denotes displacement. A 140 in a little bike like that would be a rocket.

I have no idea what the barcode means.
It does have an oil cooler hidden between the wings of the fuel tank, and i will check the cylinder when i get some free time.

Quote:
Sweet old Dodge! What are your plans with it? Are you going to keep it as a duallie, or change the attitude? I'm loving that split windshield. It looks like it has MB plates; are you going to have to do an out of Province inspection?

Your DT reminds me of an old MX175 I had for awhile. Fun bike.

Is that a Kerker pipe on the Interceptor?
Working on 12 volt conversion currently and yes its staying a dually that was one of the biggest reasons i bought it, I plan on building a wood flat bed for it to make it into a motorcycle hauler. And no it does not require inspection due to age it is already currently plated as a Sask truck, the MB plate is from years ago.

The DT is a blast to ride on the street

and yes Kerker K series cans on the Interceptor.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #11

That sounds like a perfect bike hauler.

Are you using a GM 10SI for the 12v conversion? What motor is in it?

Old 05-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #12

Quote:
That sounds like a perfect bike hauler.

Are you using a GM 10SI for the 12v conversion? What motor is in it?
Most likely using a GM 3 wire alt (10SI or 12SI) and it has a 228 Flat head I6
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Most likely using a GM 3 wire alt (10SI or 12SI) and it has a 228 Flat head I6
Please feel free to start a thread on your truck project. Many of us would enjoy that.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Please feel free to start a thread on your truck project. Many of us would enjoy that.
I will do just that, This old Dodge is one of a few project vehicles i have in my fleet. I just recently bought back another old project which is a '95 Chevy S10 Blazer. Ironically enough i am going to be picking up some items for the Dodge today.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #15

Ok i played around with the carb on this thing and got it running a bit better but it still needs the choke to keep idling...Now it was suggested to me to adjust the needle by a couple notches...Im assuming this is refering to the needle in the slide of the carb correct?
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: