Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2020, 09:25 PM   #1

Razz Chains and sprocket help

Ok so need to understand the chain #’s I am not sure what chain came with my TT Rhino 250 or how to find out.

So from what I can tell, chain and sprockets = gear ratio and since I am a big guy, that wants to climb hills and hunt I am thinking lower ratio is better?

I have heard to downsize the front to an 11 tooth and leave the rest the same.

Anyone willing to splain, the chain sprocket myth a bit for me please?

Also if I want to install an ATV winch and light bar what electrical parts would be necessary (besides the wire).

Old 06-06-2020, 08:35 AM   #2

The rhino comes with 530 chain I switched the front sprocket to an 11 tooth and left rear alone and didnt notice much of a difference although I switched out to a pz27 carb and that made a drastic difference. I own 2 rhinos one with 12 tooth and one with 11 and they both do ok I want to upgrade rear sprocket to the 42 tooth tho I think that could bump up the torque quite a bit

Old 06-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #3

Yes it does come with 530 chain and sprockets.

1 less tooth on the front sprocket is the equivalent of 3-4 more on the rear.

I did 11 on the front and 37 on the rear... 37t was all that I could find at the time. Why Go Stock can make them any size now. I think once you start going past 40 you will start rubbing the rear sprocket guard... keep that in mind as you will have to remove it or re-locate it.

Honestly the guard isn't much of anything... think it just keeps weeds out as it doesn't take much to bend it.

11/37 has worked out well for me though, and pulls some heavy loads up steep climbs.

If you add teeth to the rear remember to get a new chain (longer)

Old 06-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #4

I only swapped out the front sprocket for 11, me 240Lbs + another 50+Lbs weight for added traction when I plow heavy NJ snow, climb hills, pull downed tree limbs, etc. They do come geared for fun & speed, not too much for work but changing that front sprocket makes a BIG difference. I work the piss out of mine.

I wired all my extra electrical stuff, led flashers, plow lights, winch & heated grips right back to the battery. I've had no problem running all that while it's running. Use/get fuses & switches.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #5

Ratio is all important. My preference is 3.33 to 1 which I get by using a 428 O ring chain and 12 tooth front sprocket and 40 tooth steel rear. Works good hauling my fat butt up anything it has the traction to climb. Almost all my riding is on mountain trails from Oregon to Arizona. Just yesterday took a 65 mile ride up 9700' Steens Mtn to the snow gate.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Ratio is all important. My preference is 3.33 to 1 which I get by using a 428 O ring chain and 12 tooth front sprocket and 40 tooth steel rear. Works good hauling my fat butt up anything it has the traction to climb. Almost all my riding is on mountain trails from Oregon to Arizona. Just yesterday took a 65 mile ride up 9700' Steens Mtn to the snow gate.
So are you saying (if I want to replicate your setup) to buy a 428 chain and then the same sprockets?

Also I found the #50 stamped on the side of my chain links does this equal 530??

Old 06-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #7

Nothing wrong with keeping the stock 530 setup and swapping sprockets to smaller front and larger rear except the aftermarket rear sprockets are aluminum and the stock chain is poor quality. Aluminum sprockets wear quicker than steel.

For longevity you can't beat a quality X ring chain and steel sprockets. I use a rear 40 tooth sprocket from a Taotao ATA250D, JTF259.12 front, and a DID 428 X ring chain. The 12 tooth front requires using circlips and making a spacer from an old 428 sprocket because a stock retainer is too big.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #8

Before I burn $ is this the right length and type Mr. Mudflap. NICHE Gold 530 X-Ring Chain 120 Links With Connecting Master Link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XWNZHNP..._O0O4EbG5YG9GY

Old 06-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #9

50 is the same as 530 chain. I used a 50 half link on my 530 chain to get the distance just right... 50 half links is what they sell at Tractor Supply

Technically 530 chain is thicker and stronger then 428. With cheap chains is a crapshoot though.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:08 PM   #10

Speaking of chains, what oil do you guys use and how frequently are you oiling your chain?

When I was a kid, we just used 3 in 1 oil. I'd use it now, but I never even see it in stores these days.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #11

You can get 3in1 at Harbor Freight. My Rhino is in the water 50% of the time....I work WD40 into it regularly and follow up with oil... whatever I have on hand.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #12

I don't know how many links are stock on the 530 chain but it will be fewer than a 428 chain because the links are longer.

There are several threads that discuss favorite chain lube for non sealed chains. I found hot paraffin wax dip to be my favorite but time consuming. A sealed chain only needs lube to keep the seals from drying out. Per DID recommendations I use a tiny amount of 90 wt gear oil, just enough to lube the seals. Oil attracts dirt and grit that wear out the chain and sprockets.