Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2021, 07:46 PM   #1

Help! Need Size of Handlebar Screws for Magician 250

Hi everybody. I'm super excited to officially join the community and to have recently received a new Magician 250.

Unfortunately, my box came banged up with holes in the main box and the box of parts. The four screws that hold the handlebar in place were not in the torn box.

Can someone help me out with the size of the screws for the handlebar?

I've tried socket cap screws from Home Depot. (2) are size M8-1.25 X 35mm for the upper bolts and (2) are size M8-1.25 X 22mm.

The clamps will not tighten all the way with these bolts. There is space between the two clamps. The handlebar keeps falling forwards under the weight of the controls. Help this newbie out?

-cobalt

Old 02-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #2

Get shorter bolts? Obviously they're M8, so just try like 15 mm long. There will be a slight gap either way, but if they're not tightening because the bolts are too long, get shorter bolts.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Get shorter bolts? Obviously they're M8, so just try like 15 mm long. There will be a slight gap either way, but if they're not tightening because the bolts are too long, get shorter bolts.
Yes, I've tried a variety of combos. The screws have to be longer at the top to hold. The bottom screws are the same length as the ones that came with the crate. It believe its a combo of 25 or 22 mm (top) and about 15 mm on the bottom.

I tried to use rubber tape to seal the gap. Do you think it's a matter of needing a drill to torque it? I am nervous to use a drill since I almost stripped a screw on the controls during installation.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:36 AM   #4

No, just get bolts that are the proper length. Usually handlebar bolts are the same length top and bottom. I would try both 22s on one clamp and see if that works. Then you just need 2 more 22s. Just hand tighten, you don't want to break anything, that applies to the whole bike. No drills! You'll end up breaking something that will take a long time to get a replacement. Don't use rubber tape either, only bolts of the proper length.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #5

I tried all four 22mm screws. All BUT ONE will screw down. The bottom whole on the right side will not allow the M8 screw to go down. This is the problem.

The hole is more narrow than the others. Any clue?

Old 02-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #6

Try to remove the clamps and see if you can get the bolt to thread in without a clamp in place. I would be greatly surprised if they had different threaded sizes, though I would not be surprised if there was swarf from the manufacturing process that made it difficult to thread a bolt in. I would make sure there isn't anything in the threads.

Honestly, it could be that it takes 25mm bolts, and if you start the bolt and tighten it a little too much, it will push the opposite side up, keeping you from starting the bolt. If I were you, I would want about 2-3 full turns of thread engagement before it starts to really tighten the clamp, that way it doesn't pull threads out of the hole when you try to tighten it down.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #7

The bolts on the Magician Handlebar are all the same length. Sounds to me like the one at issue is not tapped all the way to the proper depth. Take a nail or some thin long object and insert it in each hole then put your thumb on it where it meets the metal (without the handlebars or caps in place). That should tell you if the holes are threaded to the proper depth. There should be enough depth so the bolts do not bottom out (so it will tighten down on the handlebars and hold them.) If this is the case you are going to have to tap it out to the proper depth.

Tags
handlebar, magician 250, magician 250cc, socket cap screws