Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2022, 08:15 PM   #1

Hawk 250 clone carb tuning issues

Hey all, I've searched but can't find anyone asking this particular question. Little backstory, I'm new to the hawk life (absolutely love it) and have spent hours on here learning what I can. So a huge thank you! Anyway, I got the hawk, it bogged down in 5th gear/ran lean. So I got the vm26 clone and some jets and got to work. I started with the recommended 110 main, 25 pilot, air/fuel mixture 1 1/2 turns from seated. Bike won't idle. I try adjusting the mixture screw way out, still no idle. I repeat this process with a 27.5 and then 30 pilot jet and still no success. Also if I ride it tries to GALLOP in first gear, but will die if I let of the throttle or shift to neutral. I'm in SE Michigan, ~820ft, it's been in the 70s. Last thing of note, it actually idled/did low fears fine with the stock carb, was only bad/noticably lean in 4th/5th. I'm really hoping megadan will jump in here

Old 10-25-2022, 08:16 PM   #2

P.S. I did the airbox mod as well

Old 10-25-2022, 09:04 PM   #3

Mikuni or Keihin jets??
Because with clones it means little if it says VM26,PD30, or Mikuni, Makuni, Keichin, Keihin, etc. They can use any type use mikuni or keihin jets, sometimes even mixed.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:24 PM   #4

If the stock carb was ok except high speed why not put a larger main jet in the stock carb and see where you are? Good luck.

Old 10-26-2022, 02:50 AM   #5

So wild dog I think you nailed it. After looking at the stock vm26 pilot jet (which was labeled as a 20), it was noticable larger than even the 37 in the pack I ordered off Amazon. Lesson learned, went ahead and ordered some genuine mikuni pilot jets. And Severely, from what I've read and from how it looked when I opened it up, you can't swap out the main jet on the stock Hawk 250 carb. That might not be true, but I thought getting the vm26 would be the easy route. I put the stock "20" pilot back in and it's running okay now after some fiddling with the idle screw, I do think it'll be top notch after I put a 25 in

Old 10-27-2022, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixiedontcare View Post
Hey all, I've searched but can't find anyone asking this particular question. Little backstory, I'm new to the hawk life (absolutely love it) and have spent hours on here learning what I can. So a huge thank you! Anyway, I got the hawk, it bogged down in 5th gear/ran lean. So I got the vm26 clone and some jets and got to work. I started with the recommended 110 main, 25 pilot, air/fuel mixture 1 1/2 turns from seated. Bike won't idle. I try adjusting the mixture screw way out, still no idle. I repeat this process with a 27.5 and then 30 pilot jet and still no success. Also if I ride it tries to GALLOP in first gear, but will die if I let of the throttle or shift to neutral. I'm in SE Michigan, ~820ft, it's been in the 70s. Last thing of note, it actually idled/did low fears fine with the stock carb, was only bad/noticably lean in 4th/5th. I'm really hoping megadan will jump in here
I bought a Mikuni carburetor to replace the stock one. It runs great

Tags
hawk 250, tuning, vm26