Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #46

[QUOTE=culcune;169985]These tips are great! I personally like the noisy turn signals simply because I am one of those types that forgets to cancel the signal and will ride for miles with my signal flashing. But I have been contemplating getting rid of the alien-to-me EPA smog crap that was forced on the '13 and '14 TMEC models.

yes i think i would forget the blinker too, thats why i just put tape over it for now. not nearly as embarrassing when sitting at a stop light and having people stare… loud enough to hear, but not from a block away!

the exhaust looks simple enough too, have a friend thats a big welder. any pics on what you did to take that other piece off by the spark plug? i kinda looked at it, and ill have to have someone do that for me I'm sure. i see the plate you have on it now where mine has a tube going up into the bike somewhere.

i don't think ill have to do anything with my sprockets, i can get up to 60 real easy and still have throttle left to use. unless I'm missing something about the advantages of different size sprockets. haven't tried to get a top speed yet, being a new engine and all…

I've had a few guys give me the business for buying chinese - until they check it out. now they are jealous! they all say its a fine bike! of coarse they all say 'until you need parts' but with you guys, I'm not worried at all!!

Old 07-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #47

I will put a more detailed post together on removing the EPA crap.

For the fun of it you should wager your buddies on how long and how many miles you keep this bike. I am quite sure it will out last your desire to own it, and if you own it forever then they will be like WTF.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #48

I like the smaller rear sprocket because I have to maintain about 55 mph for several miles (the speed limit is actually only 50, but it's a two lane, and people like to hit 70 or more, so they make you feel like you are holding them back "excuse me, I didn't realize we really have 'the Purge' and everything is legal this morning"). The 48 tooth sprocket lets me maintain 55 to 60 rather than simply running it up to those speeds with the engine screaming to slow down because it feels like it is being tortured (as well as you feel tortured by the massive vibrations, LOL). Ideally, I would like a 44, but don't want to have one custom made. For what you are riding for, the 56 is ideal, but you will realize what I am saying when you take if several miles on a highway maintaining 55 mph (hopefully your locals are far nicer than southern AZ locals who seemed to have learned, and maintain practice with, the "anything-goes" driving mentality from across the border (i.e. the 75 mph in a 50 zone morning commute)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #49

Thanks for posting more, great tips. As usual, your photographs are superb.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #50

Matt, I don't know how I missed your post on modifying the cat, but that's awesome. How did you remove the honeycomb from the tube? When I tried it that way, I had a brutal time removing the cat.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmprestine View Post
Removed all the epa carb crap, built a block off plate and used a vacuum plug on the carb intake. The engine is now about 35% quieter and the odd valve noise is now gone. Engine runs cooler and has more power throughout the rpm range.
What did you make the block off plate from? What thickness is that? I have this tube removal to do as well.

Thanks!
Jim

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmprestine View Post
How much does Reble Gears charge for a custom made sprocket?

It seems unclear to me how the alloy would devour the chains. Was the actual pitch of the teeth correct? Perhaps the engagement was to deep for the type of chain roller that was used? These are all just questions. I have been looking around for some cheap plate sprockets that I can tailor to the bolt pattern of the TMEC. I have a small CNC at home that I could cut some customs but starting with the plate sprockets is very cheap and then I just need to mill the bolt pattern. I was also looking at Honda and Yamaha sprockets also but just haven't pursued it very hard.
Sorry to get back to you so late! Rebel Gears charged about $55 including shipping. I don't know what was wrong with the sprocket, if anything, but that is also the naive side of me who is not 'up there' when it comes to these kind of things, but I am not way 'down there' either. Kind of like a 'newbie...

Seeing what you have been doing with your lathe and now you mention your CNC, my guess is you will have no trouble figuring out how to pattern a sprocket for these from a 'blank' one. If it is any help to look at diagrams, go to JT Sprockets' website and the ones the wheel of the TMEC bolt pattern copies are their JTR1134 series: JTR1134.54, JTR1134.52, JTR1134.50, and JTR1134.48

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 07-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankme View Post
What did you make the block off plate from? What thickness is that? I have this tube removal to do as well.

Thanks!
Jim
on mine i used a cuttoff wheel to crop the tube just above the plate and welded it shut... just has a cute little nub left now...LOL

Old 07-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
on mine i used a cuttoff wheel to crop the tube just above the plate and welded it shut... just has a cute little nub left now...LOL
Thanks for the tip! I'm doing something on it today and it'll be plugged by the time I'm through.

Thanks all,
Jim

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #55

so i kinda get the - take the pipe out, and plug it part. but haven't pulled plastics off yet and wondering where the pipe goes once its behind the plastic… assuming it goes into something, the exhaust is what it sounds like, and ill have to plug that too?? i prob won't do this or the exhaust cut and pulling of baffle until this fall, but letting the guy who is going to help me know what we are going to be doing.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #56

Interestingly, mine did not have any baffling in the exhaust? I had taken it off a few weeks ago (both front and back) and never noticed anything in my pipe. My old bike ('09 model) didn't have any baffling, either, but it could have already been removed since I bought the bike used. But my new bike, for sure, does not have the waffle cone stuffed up the exhaust?! One less thing to do, I guess!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 07-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankme View Post

Thanks!
Jim
I just took a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate I had and fabbed one out of it. You can buy a kit to do it just google smog block off kit for 250.

http://www.solomotoparts.com/Graves-...quJxoC52Xw_wcB

Old 07-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #58

It takes all of 15 min to take the smog crap off. The hose that connects to the engine goes to the pump then to the carb. Just remove all of the stuff and hoses. Make a plate to cover the hole in the side of the engine and buy a vacuum cap kit from the auto parts store.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1167&ppt=N1171

How it works. The hose that goes from the carb to the pump is there to use the engine vacuum to generate a pulse signal for the pump to work. The pump has a hose connected to it that has a small canister on one side to bring in fresh air. The pump then takes this fresh air and pumps it into the exhaust to meet the emmissions test minimum.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Interestingly, mine did not have any baffling in the exhaust? I had taken it off a few weeks ago (both front and back) and never noticed anything in my pipe. My old bike ('09 model) didn't have any baffling, either, but it could have already been removed since I bought the bike used. But my new bike, for sure, does not have the waffle cone stuffed up the exhaust?! One less thing to do, I guess!
Are you talking of the honey comb I showed how to remove? I am quite surprised by this as the catalytic converter is part of the needs to meet the epa emissions standards. Are you sure that you have the 2013 bike? The only way to really tell is to use something flexible and run it up the header pipe when it is removed.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Matt, I don't know how I missed your post on modifying the cat, but that's awesome. How did you remove the honeycomb from the tube? When I tried it that way, I had a brutal time removing the cat.
I put the cut pipe sections in the vice then I drilled it out. I started small to larger on the drills and once I hit 1/2" it just caught and ripped all the remaining crap out.

Tags
163fml, 200cc, tmec, tmec-200, tmec-200-1