Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #1

NC Registration Advice RPS Magician

Hey!

I just ordered a Magician, which is essentially a HAWK in a lot of ways, especially legally.

I live in Greensboro. I was hoping someone would tell me what all they went through to get yours registered. (I see NC can be hit or miss).

I'll have the MCO, the Bill of Sale, Proof of insurance, but I won't have it inspected. Do you need it inspected before it can be registered/ titled? For those that have had luck, what was the vehicle described as on the MCO (dirtbike or motorcycle)?

Also what was the name of the company people have been using, since RPS isn't really the company.

Thanks,

-Ben

Old 04-23-2018, 07:21 PM   #2

I just got a new Pitster Pro LXR250 registered in NC. They don't require new vehicles to be inspected. Pitster Pro wasn't on their list of brands, so they just typed "Pit" for the brand.

I was nervous because the MSO had "for off-road use" as part of the description. I went to an official NCDOT office in Charlotte, instead of a smaller private run tag office, but now realize it wasn't necessary.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisbm2 View Post
Hey!

I just ordered a Magician, which is essentially a HAWK in a lot of ways, especially legally.
The only real similarities are that both use the same engine as both bikes are listed on the same EPA certificate. Both bikes are legally off-road only, but with all the street equipment, both (actually the Hawk since it outsells the Magician by a wide margin) have been successfully registered in over half the US states according to the list started on this site by JerryHawk (thanks for thinking of such a thread)

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17919

You might have a few issues if Magicians have not been registered there, but whatever hurdles the first person had registering a Hawk, the same should be relatively simple with your Magician if you are actually your state's 'Guinea pig'

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses!

Do you really think there will be much of a difference registering the Magician when on paper it is very similar to the Hawk? I mean, same importer, same parent company, same engine, same Enduro/ Dirt classification. It really just has a different name (I know they are different bikes but you see my point).

Apparently in some cases all goes well at the DMV until the try to look up Ricky Power Sports.

For those that have registered a HAWK successfully in NC, what parent company was listed?

Was there any EPA issues when getting inspected or was it all safety (mirrors, lights, so on)?

Thanks

Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #5

When you request your MCO have them put the vehicle type as "Motorcycle" Most of the do already.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice. I bought from TXpowersports. I talked to Manny AND Emailed, both confirmed it would say Motorcycle on the MCO, though Manny at first said Enduro Dirtbike.

Somehow I don't trust that the MCO will come saying motorcycle.. Can I send it back to them to correct if not, or should I just go for it?

Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisbm2 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I bought from TXpowersports. I talked to Manny AND Emailed, both confirmed it would say Motorcycle on the MCO, though Manny at first said Enduro Dirtbike.

Somehow I don't trust that the MCO will come saying motorcycle.. Can I send it back to them to correct if not, or should I just go for it?
If it comes in wrong you will need to request another one with the correct information.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #8

Thanks again for all the help. For those that have registered a new bike in NC, will it need an inspection before it can get tags/ title?

Old 04-13-2022, 08:49 AM   #9

2021 Hawk No Problem in NC

My 2021 Hawk 250 says "Motorcycle" on the MCO and lists RPS as the make. No problem at all registering it in NC and you do not need an inspection to title, register, and get the plates. You have to get an inspection before you can renew the registration, but you do not have to worry about that for a year. As my bike came, it will probably not pass NC inspection because the headlight and taillight can be switched off with the engine running, but that is not too hard to modify.
I have tried to register a bike that said "For Off Road Use Only" on the MCO in NC in the past and that was denied.

Old 09-21-2023, 11:55 PM   #10

2023 Hawk DLX registration question for NC

Hello I just purchased a Hawk DLX I am in the greensboro area. I have the MCO ,Bill of sale and Proof of insurance is there anything else I will need to register my bike with the DMV? Like the odometer disclosure statement? Or title application? Thanks!

Old 09-22-2023, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbens1 View Post
Hello I just purchased a Hawk DLX I am in the greensboro area. I have the MCO ,Bill of sale and Proof of insurance is there anything else I will need to register my bike with the DMV? Like the odometer disclosure statement? Or title application? Thanks!
there is a title application form on the DMV web site for NC. it never hurts to be over-prepared when going to the license bureau. Other than that, you have what's needed.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:42 AM   #12

Hi there,
I have successfully registered a Hawk 250 in NC. I had to have:

1. Proof of insurance.

2. Bill of sale or MCO (I bought mine used, original owner lost the MCO). If your MCO says "motorcycle" you should be good to go.

3. When asked for "make" at the DMV, we told them "RPS" and that was what the original owner listed on the bill of sale. Thus, I know that "RPS" is listed in the NC DMV system.

***When my buddy successfully registered his Magician in NC, he said that they looked up "Chonquing Haosen" and it came up in the NC DMV's database.***

4. I went ahead and had an inspection done before showing up to the DMV to show that my bike was able to be registered for the street, though if you purchase a bike new, you don't have to do this in NC. I had to do this because the previous inspection from the original owner had expired and it would have had to have been done anyways before the DMV would issue a plate and a new title.

Tags
hawk, magician, north carolina, registration