Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Ride up Mt Rainier on the RX-3

If you have never seen Mt Rainier before...you are missing out. It has to be
the most impressive looking mountain in person that you'll see in the 50 states. Im biased but I challenge anyone to prove me wrong with a picture because at a height of 14,400, and the surrounding area all at 0-500 elevation, its pretty incredible to see an almost 3 mile wall of ice and rock looming over an entire region. Anyway...so my buddy was visiting from Dallas and wanted to experience some mountain roads and real Washington riding, since he basically lives on a giant pancake. So I took him up to the highest road in the state at elevation 6500 ft to a place called Sunrise. Basically takes you to the top of the treeline. Pretty incredible ride. I rode my triumph triple most of the time and he rode my RX3 and we both had an amazing time. The RX3 did awesome up steep grade and it excelled in the corners. Tires are great engine is great gas mileage was great power was more than enough. Just an overall fun day and a great ride. Miles and miles of twisties and switchbacks through old growth forests. Heres some of the highlights

Old 10-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #2

Thanks for posting the beautiful photographs from the Evergreen State.

Mount Rainier is beautiful, but it can be deadly to climbers. I fell 18 vertical feet, with an intermediate bounce, off Disappointment Cleaver. Miraculously, I escaped with only bruises. After that incident, I decided to hang up my crampons.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for posting the beautiful photographs from the Evergreen State.

Mount Rainier is beautiful, but it can be deadly to climbers. I fell 18 vertical feet, with an intermediate bounce, off Disappointment Cleaver. Miraculously, I escaped with only bruises. After that incident, I decided to hang up my crampons.

Wow you were climbing it! Thats awesome. Yes definitely can be deadly even for the most experienced climbers. I am inexperienced but climbed Mt Adams (way easier) a few years ago and hope to attempt Mt Rainier this upcoming spring. Until then I'll just ride my RX-3 up there and enjoy the mountains that way.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
Wow you were climbing it! Thats awesome. Yes definitely can be deadly even for the most experienced climbers. I am inexperienced but climbed Mt Adams (way easier) a few years ago and hope to attempt Mt Rainier this upcoming spring. Until then I'll just ride my RX-3 up there and enjoy the mountains that way.
Yes, I have reached the summits of Mount Hood, Mount Adams, and Mount Saint Helens. I belonged to the Mazamas, a Portland mountaineering group. Good luck in your climb next spring.

http://mazamas.org/

Here is a photograph I took from above The Hogsback, just below the summit of Mount Hood, Oregon.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes, I have reached the summits of Mount Hood, Mount Adams, and Mount Saint Helens. I belonged to the Mazamas, a Portland mountaineering group. Good luck in your climb next spring.

http://mazamas.org/

Here is a photograph I took from above The Hogsback, just below the summit of Mount Hood, Oregon.

Wow...what a pic! Thats really cool you've climbed all those peaks. Adams was relatively easy for as big as it is..and best part was glissading down at what felt like mach 1 speeds. I definitely hope to be little more experienced and lucky as well when I attempt Rainier next spring.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #6

I bet that is a great ride.

/

Old 10-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #7

The important question, Superdude, is when is your friend ordering HIS RX3?

Old 10-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
The important question, Superdude, is when is your friend ordering HIS RX3?
Ha hes got the bug for sure. He sold his honda shadow a couple years ago
but now wants to get an RX-3 but probably not until he moves away from Dallas next summer since he said there is nothing to ride to or see in Texas. He just posted today online how he loved the bike.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #9

Yes, it's a nice, long glissade down to the Picnic Table on Mount Adams.

Even Mount Hood kills a few people, every few years. In the photograph above, you are looking down on the site where the rescue helicopter crashed a few years ago.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes, it's a nice, long glissade down to the Picnic Table on Mount Adams.

Even Mount Hood kills a few people, every few years. In the photograph above, you are looking down on the site where the rescue helicopter crashed a few years ago.

Wow unbelievable videos. Didnt know that many people climb Hood every year. I was wanting to warm up for Rainier by doing Adams again, then Hood and Helens and finishing with Rainier. Might be ambitious but will get me extra prepared. Might check out the Mazamas and see if I can connect with them and some of the events they offer. Seems like a great organization.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #11

Here is a link to another, short video which shows the rescue helicopter crash.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Last edited by SpudRider; 10-28-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #12

Quote:
If you have never seen Mt Rainier before...you are missing out. It has to be
the most impressive looking mountain in person that you'll see in the 50 states. Im biased but I challenge anyone to prove me wrong with a picture because at a height of 14,400, and the surrounding area all at 0-500 elevation, its pretty incredible to see an almost 3 mile wall of ice and rock looming over an entire region.
I'm not going to challenge Rainier's supremacy. I think that Mount Baker is a close second. We drive to the top a couple times per year, and hike the trails. It's a stunning view. The peak is at 10780 feet.

This is the view I see every day on the way home.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm not going to challenge Rainier's supremacy. I think that Mount Baker is a close second. We drive to the top a couple times per year, and hike the trails. It's a stunning view. The peak is at 10780 feet.

This is the view I see every day on the way home.

Mt Baker is beautiful and I'm envious you get to see that every day on way home. Rainier would be same way if it wasnt cloudy 330 days of the year. I should take a ride up there sometime and mess around. I just did a 1000 mile ride through B.C. a couple months ago starting near Kelowna and Merritt up towards Kamloops. One of the days we were there was the nicest riding on the nicest roads I have ever experienced in my life. Beautiful scenery.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Mt Baker is beautiful and I'm envious you get to see that every day on way home. Rainier would be same way if it wasnt cloudy 330 days of the year. I should take a ride up there sometime and mess around. I just did a 1000 mile ride through B.C. a couple months ago starting near Kelowna and Merritt up towards Kamloops. One of the days we were there was the nicest riding on the nicest roads I have ever experienced in my life. Beautiful scenery.
That area around Kelowna and Kamloops was my territory with work for a lot of years. I no longer have to travel regularly, which is good, but I miss the Okanagan.

If you plan another BC ride, let me know. We can at least meet for a coffee.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That area around Kelowna and Kamloops was my territory with work for a lot of years. I no longer have to travel regularly, which is good, but I miss the Okanagan.

If you plan another BC ride, let me know. We can at least meet for a coffee.
That would be awesome Weldangrind I definitely will let ya know next time I'm up there hopefully it'll be on my RX-3 too. There was this HWY 3 in particular that cut off of 97 near Lake Osoyoos, it cut to the west and it was the best 100 miles of riding imaginable. It was paradise and I definitely am going to try and get over there again for that soon.